Ap 58 sat sri akal!

rglesINDY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Am I reading this scenario correct? Is the NORTH ARROW correct? The Japanese setup says they set up "on/north-of the road that runs 37A5-37H4-37P5-37X5-37Y10...". The problem is, this is a north-south road. So just how do the Japanese set up "north" of a north-south oriented road? It seems to me the set up instructions make more sense if the north arrow is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.

rglesINDY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gary: OK. So the Japanese set up area is as shown on your picture, but I think it would have been more precise to describe the setup area as "west and north of the road...".
Anyway, it still leaves the Japanese with a tough decision about how many of his units to start on-board, in the set up area (and more specifically, toward the south end of that area, in position to assault the board 2a hills) vs. entering on the north edge.
I'm just sayin....
But overall, AP6 looks excellent. I especially like the variety and multiplicity of victory conditions in most of the scenarios.:cool:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Anyway, it still leaves the Japanese with a tough decision about how many of his units to start on-board, in the set up area (and more specifically, toward the south end of that area, in position to assault the board 2a hills) vs. entering on the north edge.
I'm just sayin....
Absolute WAG here, but that might have been the intent. I'm just sayin. ;)

S

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
As AP6 is currently winging it's way across the Pacific to me, I can't really comment on the actual scenarios. However it certainly strikes me, based on Fort's pic of the mapboard setup, how different the extra boards are going to make scenario topography look - having vertical ridgelines rather than the ubiquitous hprizontal orientations is already making visualisation of tactical approaches a whole new ballgame.

Even for small scenarios, using one of the newer boards is going to add either increased depth or breadth to single board or half-board scenarios.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As AP6 is currently winging it's way across the Pacific to me, I can't really comment on the actual scenarios. However it certainly strikes me, based on Fort's pic of the mapboard setup, how different the extra boards are going to make scenario topography look - having vertical ridgelines rather than the ubiquitous hprizontal orientations is already making visualisation of tactical approaches a whole new ballgame.

Even for small scenarios, using one of the newer boards is going to add either increased depth or breadth to single board or half-board scenarios.
Thanks for the understanding of the intent. I hope many others will use these to their potential.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Anyone play this one yet ?
Tim Wilson and I played it weekend before last.

Timbo might have been off a bit in tuning the force distribution between the two separate VC areas, but even with average dice, neither one of us could see how the Japanese are supposed to win this one. When all is said and done and all troops are on the board, they have something like a +2 squad advantage over the Brits/Indians. Not really all that much. It looks real good on the scenario card and I really want to like it, but I'm not really seeing how the Japanese are supposed to win this without some consistent and statistically improbable luck.

I look forward to some AARs and more of a ROAR record for this one, hoping it was just poor play on the part of two folks that have not played much lately....

Another little gotcha' with this one.....the 76mm British mortar has a minimum range of 6 for this time frame. Combining that with the fact that jungle is a +2 level inherent LOS obstacle and dense jungle is in effect (no mortar fire out of it), there is only one reasonable position for this guy and he pretty much has to shoot spotted fire.

Another question. There are 1-2 hexes between boards that have half the hex having palm tree depiction. We played that the whole hex was palm trees, an inherent level 1 obstacle from equal or higher elevation....cutting down even more the possible targets for the 76mm mortar. Not that I ever had to fire the mortar to win....

Last edited:

KevinG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was kind of my concern too Jazz after setting it up. Thinking the Japs have to send 6 squads against each of the initial British groups of 5 squads, and hold another 6 in reserve to see where the British commit their reinforcements. This reserve will take the best part of 2 turns to get to whcih ever area they are committed to, leaving only 2 turns to get the job done.