Any instructions on the proper way to print out the Operation Turnscrew map from DftB #44?

Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Operation Turnscrew Map is big (20" x 22").
Even a tabloid printer is only (11" x 17").
The only way to print it out as a single sheet is to have it done by a commercial printer.
Your local UPS Store has large printers.
Call or visit your local UPS Store and see if they can do it.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Any printing shop that does advertisement printing can do it.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is what I've learned from printing out maps for other games, and taping the multiple sheets together.
Adobe Acrobat Reader has a nice 'Poster' mode to print out the map on multiple pages, with overlap so you easily tape the pieces together. This is what I did.
  • In Tom Morin's article on page 3 of DftB44, he mentions the map has 1" hexes and is roughly 22" x 22.5".
  • I opened ReesMap-final.pdf, then used Ctrl-P to open the print menu. I click on the Poster button under "Page Size & Handling", and I see Adobe reports the map is 25.5" x 33" and will be tiled across nine pages. 25.5"x33" is the size of a 3x3 array of 8.5"x11" sheets of paper, not the size of the image. It is centered in the array and has a large white margin around it. However, the image of the map looks about the right size but I want to be sure.
  • I leave the "Tile Scale" at 100% and Print (using low quality and toner saver modes so I don't waste much). I measure across several hexes and yes, they're each exactly 1" across.
  • At this point I could go to a commercial printer as @Zakopious wrote, tell them 22"x22.5" and to print the PDF at 100% scale. A D-size sheet of paper is 22"x34", but they may not be able to print exactly to the edge of the paper, so they may have to use E-sized, 34"x44".
  • But if I want to print and assemble the map, I'll use the print menu. Poster is selected, and the default overlap is 0.005 inches. That's much to little; it'll look like no overlap to my eye. I change it to 0.25 inches.
  • My printer can handle 11"x17" paper so I also use Page Setup to change the paper size to Ledger. Acrobat now shows it will be tiled across only six sheets of paper.
  • I print, trim, and tape them together. It's not as nice as having it on one sheet from a commercial printer, but it's cheaper.
Do it once and you'll be an expert.

The reason I use the PDF, not the JPG version, is that while MS Paint can tile an image across multiple pages, it has no 'overlap' setting.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry I should have been more clear. I was speaking of the process. I'll take it to my local FedEx store. Do I open the pdf in photoshop, simply strip out the map page and save it as a pdf? The reason I'm asking is when I do that and I enlarge it to 100% in photoshop it's pretty blurry. Thanks

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd take the PDF as-is.

I got the PDF (ReesMap-final.pdf) as part of my subscription to DftB. When I zoom in on it the map looks sharp and detailed. The .gif in the VASL file is only 1445x1405 pixels, or about 63dpi. Which are you using?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No idea. When you open a pdf in photoshop it lets you open each page as an individual picture. I stripped the map out, removed all the excess area and saved it as a pdf. I'll take it over to FedEx kinkos tomorrow. Thanks

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I took the original file to staples and it looks like total crap at full size. By original image I mean the OT rules file that was sent out where the map was the second to the last page.

Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I took the original file to staples and it looks like total crap at full size. By original image I mean the OT rules file that was sent out where the map was the second to the last page.
Vic Provost (DftB) is on this forum.
Ask him how to print the map.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I figured out with some help from Scott that I was never provided the proper file for printing. All is squared away now.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just for clarity, Operation Turnscrew was a Dispatches from The Bunker HASL, but not anything Yankee ASL put out. Still, asking here is not a bad idea as Vic and I do co-operate a great deal and we certainly can get in touch with each other within a day ;-). Sorry for the late reply.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry my mistake. I've always assumed you guys were affiliated.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No apologies needed sir. I get the confusion.