AFV fire with Riders

esparver73

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
If an AFV with Riders fires its MA without turning the TCA, do they Bail Out or anything?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The muzzle blast (concussive effect) of a gun is directed mainly to the front in a large cone projected forward of the bore. exposed personnel on/riding near or behind the center point of the turret are not subjected to that much of the concussion of a round and the recoil of the MA would "normally" not be enough to throw riders from the vehicle. I suppose a more accurate representation would be if a MA of say 88mm or greater fires it should probably cause a bailout situation regardless of the direction of fire, but in some cases such as a Tiger or King Tiger the weight of the vehicle may offset the recoil sufficiently to allow them to remain as riders. I for one would not want to be anywhere near say a StuIG 33-B though when it fired! as the Old Noob said, it would definitely get their attention!

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Instead you get a much easier way to signal the riders that it's time to Bail Out, in the "let's turn the turret a bit" trick. Only works with turreted AFV though. NT vehicles have to find an orchard.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Be careful with Bail Outs. I recall one scenario where my opponent sent tanks with PSK-carrying 8-morale Riders up to confront my armor. He turned the turret on each tank, and each Rider promptly failed its MC. The PSK they carried were eliminated to my great joy.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like SS Riders because their ML increases if they break, increasing the odds that they'll pass their Bail Out DR. But the first time I tried a turret dismount with them, my 6-5-8 promptly rolled boxcars.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
To be clear - I was indicating a possible trick, not advocating its use. In play, I am probably overly cautious about riders and any situation where they come into a possible line of fire; I don't think I've ever voluntarily forced my riders to bail out.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
To be clear, I have never forced riders to bail, but I have forced my cardboard playing pieces to do so.....

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To be clear - I was indicating a possible trick, not advocating its use. In play, I am probably overly cautious about riders and any situation where they come into a possible line of fire; I don't think I've ever voluntarily forced my riders to bail out.
Then you're missing a trick. I still remember the first time I encountered it in play during ASLOk 2007. Steve Linton used the barrels of his panzers to sweep his 5-4-8s off their armoured charges in AP22 "Ghost Riders." I think one of the three squads broke, although his 8-0 rallied it soon enough. (No SW were lost, as there were none to begin with.) It was a slick move that I hadn't anticipated when preparing my defence. Even if you don't use the tactic, you need to be prepared for your opponent to use it against you.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you ever play BFP-102 Tolstoy Woods it's almost mandatory one use Riders for both the Russian & the German forces. If one does not it's most unlikely one can capture the small village or hold on to it for that matter.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
There are AFVs [EX: German Sturmtiger] that force a Bail Out if you fire the MA. Check the vehicle notes!

esparver73

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
There are AFVs [EX: German Sturmtiger] that force a Bail Out if you fire the MA. Check the vehicle notes!
That’s what I was looking for. The general rules allow it but some specific vehicles do not. Thanks.