About Orchard Road

ymoon48

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi I'm newbie in Korea.
I have a question about Orchard Road rule.
It says "Hindrances do not apply to such hexes if that portion of the LOS from firer to target never leaves the confines of the road depiction regardless of elevation differences."
So what means "never leaves the confines of the road depiction" ?
Does it means LOS never touch road depiction?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You may be reversing the intention of the rule. If the LOS touches any part of the hex other than the road depiction, the orchard +1 hindrance DRM applies for that hex, i.e. the shot is worse for the attacker. If the LOS only goes through road depiction the attack is not hindered, i.e. the shot is better for the attacker. The intention is that an attack down the road is not adversely affected by the orchard, while all other attacks are.

In this example from board w, the LOS from AA5 to EE7 goes through two hexes where the LOS does not leave the road depiction (although the thick "thread" I am using does not make this apparent), so those hexes are not hindrances. In the last hex (DD6) the LOS does leave the road depiction, so DD6 is a hindrance. The total DRM for an attack by the American squad against the German is +3 stone building TEM, +1 hindrance for DD6. Likewise the DRM for an attack by the German squad against the American would be +1 for the Hindrance in DD6.

OrchardRoadCroppedWithLOS.png
JR

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You may be reversing the intention of the rule. If the LOS touches any part of the hex other than the road depiction, the orchard +1 hindrance DRM applies for that hex, i.e. the shot is worse for the attacker. If the LOS only goes through road depiction the attack is not hindered, i.e. the shot is better for the attacker. The intention is that an attack down the road is not adversely affected by the orchard, while all other attacks are.

In this example from board w, the LOS from AA5 to EE7 goes through two hexes where the LOS does not leave the road depiction (although the thick "thread" I am using does not make this apparent), so those hexes are not hindrances. In the last hex (DD6) the LOS does leave the road depiction, so DD6 is a hindrance. The total DRM for an attack by the American squad against the German is +3 stone building TEM, +1 hindrance for DD6. Likewise the DRM for an attack by the German squad against the American would be +1 for the Hindrance in DD6.

View attachment 460
JR
Note that it is possible to announce NOT using the road portion in an orchard-road hex. In the given example, the German squad moving towards the US squad from DD6 to CC6 could avoid being subject to the -1 DRM for FFMO if it announces using the non-road portion of hex CC6 (which would cost the same 1MF as using the road-portion).

(Note: Edited after Klas' remark)

von Marwitz

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Note that it is possible to announce NOT using the road portion in an orchard-road hex. In the given example, the German squad moving towards the US squad could avoid being subject to the -1 DRM for FFMO if it announces using the non-road portion of hex DD6 (which would cost the same 1MF as using the road-portion).
The question was about hindrances *between* the firer and the target, not about FFMO *in* the target hex. While what you say is true, it is not directly applicable to the question asked.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The question was about hindrances *between* the firer and the target, not about FFMO *in* the target hex. While what you say is true, it is not directly applicable to the question asked.

JR
I am aware of that but I remarked it nevertheless as the OP stated he is a newbie so I thought it might help him understand this fact which is good to know when dealing with orchard roads.

von Marwitz

Reactions: EJ1

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Note that it is possible to announce NOT using the road portion in an orchard-road hex. In the given example, the German squad moving towards the US squad could avoid being subject to the -1 DRM for FFMO if it announces using the non-road portion of hex DD6 (which would cost the same 1MF as using the road-portion).
A move from EE7 to DD6 can't be done using the road (i.e., the -1 FFMO DRM would not apply) since the German unit is not crossing a road hexside. However, if it continued to CC6, then the above could come into play.

tailesin

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Sorry to resurrect this thread but the example was perfect for my question .

By the way, what will happen if the german unit in the example was on the first level of the building ?? The rules spoke about hindrances along orchard roads but, would the orchard be an obstacle to the los even if the Us unit moves along the road ??

Many thanks

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
what will happen if the german unit in the example was on the first level of the building ?? The rules spoke about hindrances along orchard roads but, would the orchard be an obstacle to the los even if the US unit moves along the road ??
That would depend on whether the Orchard is in season or not. If the Orchard is in season, hex DD6 will be a level one obstacle for different level LOS. DD6 will "plateau" (prevent LOS to lower levels) the German on level one of the building for LOS through that hex, and there will be no LOS to the lower level until the American unit reaches DD6. If the Orchard is out of season DD6 will be a hindrance for LOS to lower levels. The other road hexes will not be hindrances as the LOS goes down the road depiction, which means that the orchard hindrance does not apply even from higher levels.

JR

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Note that it is possible to announce NOT using the road portion in an orchard-road hex. In the given example, the German squad moving towards the US squad from DD6 to CC6 could avoid being subject to the -1 DRM for FFMO if it announces using the non-road portion of hex CC6 (which would cost the same 1MF as using the road-portion).

(Note: Edited after Klas' remark)

von Marwitz
I'm not so sure that is stipulated in the SK rules.
Is it located elsewhere other than the terrain section?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm not so sure that is stipulated in the SK rules.
Is it located elsewhere other than the terrain section?
Under 1.1.1, Roads, the unit can claim the "non open ground of an Orchard-Road hex."

JR