66th Anniversary of the Battle of Kursk

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Today is the 66th year since the Battle of Kursk took place.

To those vets that are still living from that era.

:clap:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I always associated this battle with that of Gettysburg where an early "July" last chance offensive to turn the tables failed to accomplish that aim and in a way did shorten the war for the eventual victors.

I do not want to start a military history debate by these comments as those thoughts go back to when I was a teenager and knew only the barest facts about WWII and the Civil War. Still, they seem as cogent now as then.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
True, after the Germans blunted themselves the Soviets turned the tables on them and unleashed their own offensive which pretty much hammer the Germans from August to Oct IIRC.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
True, after the Germans blunted themselves the Soviets turned the tables on them and unleashed their own offensive which pretty much hammer the Germans from August to Oct IIRC.
Yes and no. The Red Army counterattacks (Operations Kutozov and Rumyantsev) achieved thier operational objectives, but losses were extremely high. The German retreat to the Dneiper was orderly, almost a mirror image of Citadel with the roles reversed. Losing Kharkov and then Kiev was enough for Manstein to lose his job, though.

These battles are rich soil for ASL scenario design (and mostly untapped)

I'm working on it a little bit. :headbang:

(Schwerpunkt has actually been sowing these fields with some good scenarios lately, The Mius Trap for example.)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I think Manstein was relieved in March 1944. The Dnieper battles were generally from Aug-Ded 1943.

Your right though there should be a lot more scenarios covering these battles (as well as the Jan-March 44 southern Russia battles) IMHO.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Manstein was relieved in March 1944. The Dnieper battles were generally from Aug-Ded 1943.

Your right though there should be a lot more scenarios covering these battles (as well as the Jan-March 44 southern Russia battles) IMHO.

Some kool AFVs were just coming into widespread use: Nashorns, early model Panthers, SU-85; more Lend lease and captured tanks-even the forgotten Pfk.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pete, can you provide us an update on Ponyri?

Thanks!!
We have an agreement with MMP to publish. Layout is currently being worked, on, we will finish playtest as layout evolves.

Thinking about a 'team' mini-tourney at ASLOk featuring the 'Battle for the Water Tower" micro-CG.

Edit: TODAY (July 8th) is the anniversary of the battle for the water tower-the high-water mark of the battle of Ponyri!

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Yes and no. The Red Army counterattacks (Operations Kutozov and Rumyantsev) achieved thier operational objectives, but losses were extremely high. The German retreat to the Dneiper was orderly, almost a mirror image of Citadel with the roles reversed. Losing Kharkov and then Kiev was enough for Manstein to lose his job, though.

These battles are rich soil for ASL scenario design (and mostly untapped)

I'm working on it a little bit. :headbang:

(Schwerpunkt has actually been sowing these fields with some good scenarios lately, The Mius Trap for example.)
Bumping this thread and its good info...haven't seen Kenneally in a while; did the Texas tourney tire him out? Seeing the Russian Front stuff made me think of the OFF... Always interesting to see your informed comments on these battles, Pete.