Search results

1. Michael R

VASL versus ASL or Advanced_Squad_Leader

Has anyone ever thought about changing the name of the ASL module for VASSAL? It is ironic to me the the first VASSAL module somehow came to be called VASL. Subsequently, we have been stuck having communication issues whenever VASSAL and VASL are mentioned in the same conversation. I have...
  2. Michael R

My European ASL vacation

I've written a post about my European ASL vacation; who I played, what I played. https://lowammo.ca/
  3. Michael R

elite versus Elite

In a game recently, my opponent wondered if SMC were entitled to the HOB DRM for Elite. Someone had put the doubt in him by pointing out that A1.11 states that SMC are elite. A1.25 states that squad/HS have a class of Elite, 1st Line, etc. Note also that A1.123 states Infantry crew counters...
  4. Michael R

CE inherent crew and IFT PTC result

They may; vulnerable PRC of an armored vehicle are affected normally as Personnel (7.307). ....Perry MMP
  5. Michael R

Oddball...

I just saw this on the Canada Post web page:
  6. Michael R

board 8 LOS error

Open ground in O9 is blocking LOS from Level 2 in hex R9. Image attached. I can provide a saved game file if needed.
  7. Michael R

making countersheets

I saw this link on BGG. Scroll down a bit to see photos from a shop that makes countersheets.
  8. Michael R

FE79 MOTORCYCLE PROBE

I've written an illustrated AAR of FE79 MOTORCYCLE PROBE. German infantry on motorcycles and sidecars probe a town for HIP Polish defenders. Once they find them, substantial reinforcements come on. https://lowammo.ca/
  9. Michael R

C3.33, smoke & LOS to a unit

I remember seeing a certain Q&A a long time ago, but I cannot find it now. It is related to this one: C3.33 If there are no non-hidden enemy targets in a hex within LOS of a mortar, can that mortar fire and hit enemy units that are out of LOS in that hex? (e.g., units IN gully or lower level...
  10. Michael R

DC & Pillbox NCA attack

This is from JRV and the BGG site, from April of 2022. I did not find it in Klas' version 32. Per A23.3 a unit placing a DC has to be ADJACENT to a Location to place a DC on it and per similarly per A23.6 for a thrown DC. Per B30 an adjacent hex in a Pillbox's NCA is not ADJACENT to the...
  11. Michael R

WO16 WILDCAT STRIKE

I've written an illustrated AAR of WO16 WILDCAT STRIKE. Combination VC involving CVP and buildings. First line American infantry with FT and armour attack infantry with an AT gun, AA gun and mines. lowammo.ca
  12. Michael R

logging prompt

In the GENERAL preferences, there is an item "ASK TO ENSURE LOGGING WHEN STARTING OR LOADING A GAME". This was working consistently until recently. Now when I click on YES in its dialog, logging does NOT start and it does not open the file name dialog. Virtual ASL 6.6.7 VASSAL 3.7.5 MacOS...
  13. Michael R

save contents of map

Virtual ASL has a menu in the orange button with the German grenade throwing dude. One option is to SAVE CONTENTS OF MAP AS PLAIN TEXT FILE. This option does not work consistently for me, especially for a large HASL game. I've had the option not work the first time I tried it, and I've had it...
  14. Michael R

C1.22 & Voluntary loss of contact

C1.22 states: "However, failing to roll for Contact/Maintenance is considered voluntary loss of Contact only if the Observer has no LOS to the SR's/FFE's Blast Height". Is the following situation considered "voluntary loss of Contact"? An FFE2 is on board. The observer is eliminated before the...
  15. Michael R

The 12 days of ASL Christmas

From David Meyler on CSW: Inspired by J.R. Tracy's ASL advent calender, I have a much more modest offering: the ASL Twelve Days of Christmas. This is a list of scenarios with one to twelve in their titles, which you can play on twelve consecutive days (OK, I couldn't locate an historical ASL...
  16. Michael R

My shortish AAR from the New York State ASL Championship

Here is a recap of my rounds at the New York State ASL Championship. Round one: Mike McGrath (repeat opponent, 2018, 1991) and AP196 SILVER & BRONZE (new to me scenario). First line German infantry with 4 Hetzers, reinforced by second line infantry with 3 Stug3L coming from the other side, try...
  17. Michael R

WW2 submarine vs submarine

sinking of U-864
  18. Michael R

Open a file issue

I am currently on MacOS Sonoma 14.1, VASSAL 3.7.5 and Virtual ASL 6.6.7, but I have been seeing the intermittent issue for at least a year. Normally when I click FILE then LOAD GAME OR LOG, I see this window: I can select the file and VASSAL or Virtual ASL opens it. This works every time if...
  19. Michael R

Overview map keyboard shortcut

is documented as Control+Shift+O. I tried it today and received no response. I am able to open the overview map using the menu in the button with the soldier throwing a grenade. MacOS Sonoma 14.1 VASSAL 3.7.5 Virtual ASL 6.6.7 Not a big deal, of course. I bring it to your attention mostly to...
  20. Michael R

Case E, sangar and overrun

Cross posted from BGG. adolfo scopece is to hit case E (same hex fire ) applicable to a to hit attempt by a Gun overrunned in a Sangar vs that (fully tracked) AFV overrunning ? (D4.3 states the case E is not applicable when underbelly hit is possible, F8.51 states that a full-tracked AFV...