How to play faster ASL

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Oh, and FWIW, 7 on the 4 is a PTC. That's the only IFT I've bothered to memorize. The most common DR and the most common (IMO) FP column.

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
Truly enjoying the input on this topic so far. Of course, I'm so darn slow because I don't know the rules in detail enough to execute a plan without my opponent pointing out "Well, no...you really can't do that..." every other move I make. BUT, I keep trying!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for this thread idea! Being a relatively new player I'm always interested in being able to play faster, but also being a new player I don't want to rush so fast I'm not learning. Fortunately my regular opponent is extremely patient.

I'm going to add just a few comments from a newbie. I'd love feedback or correction from any experienced fast players who think I've missed the mark!

8 on the 8 is an NMC is mine! And of course PTC and 1MC are the same relative to that for every other line.

Thing is I don't think that this is a big deal for actual IFT DRs, it takes a fraction of a second to double check since I've got an IFT staring me in the face all the time. I think it helps a bit more for the "should I bother shooting" kinds of questions as it allows you to quickly decide which shots are not worth thinking any more about. Really the decisions are what seem to take the most time, not the actual DRs. Anything that speeds up the decision process helps me as a newbie. Though I suppose for all you experienced speed demons the actual DRs may take proportionally more time!

This to me is the right attitude, even if I have trouble living by it. If the analysis is getting into the weeds then it means the decision is not relevant, the DRs are going to be the deciding factor.

This is where I think rules of thumb, remembering where an NMC is on the IFT, and rough TH/TK probabilities can make a new player faster. If you can quickly figure out two choices are in the same ballpark of effectiveness then just stop analyzing and pick one. A little bit of thought to realize you've got the opportunity of a +2 vs a +3 shot is probably worth the thought. Stringing together sequences of three or four dependent actions really isn't.

Don't chain three "what-ifs" together (I unfortunately love to do this). If there is an obvious path now take it. If there are multiple indistinguishable options just pick one and wait to figure out the next move based on the DR result.

Took me a little while to figure this out, it helps a lot for Guns especially. When you know you just have to take a shot regardless of how unlikely it is then just roll and then do the DRM if it the DR is low.

As others said, you might have to do some DRM calcs to decide whether to take the shot, but even then that might just be running your eye down the table to realize it is a low probability shot at which point one doesn't necessarily need to get it exactly right unless the actual DR is low enough.

This, again and again, I have to remind myself. With DRs governing the game there isn't much point thinking too far ahead with specifics. It is definitely worth thinking ahead at the higher planning level (e.g. need to get "enough" units over there by that turn) and evaluating if that higher level plan needs to change (e.g. I can't get "enough" units over there now, so what's the alternate possibly riskier path to victory). It is worth thinking a bit at the immediate tactical level of who moves in what order and if a DFF is worth taking. The middle ground between those two perspectives is a morass waiting to suck the new player into wasted time!

Excellent point related to those above! Rather than worrying about getting shot at often one should be thinking about how to get the other guy to shoot at you. Less computing exact probabilities and instead remembering making your opponent do things, almost anything, can have positive effects for you.

Yes, and this also then aliviates some of the stress of being a slow new player. Usually the DEFENDER can be planing their next Player Turn.

Ugh, or that lady at the checkout who has been shopping for 5+ decades but is utterly shocked that they will need to provide some sort of payment after all their items have been scanned.

Thanks everyone for your contributions so far!
What a great post!! Well done you Sir!

As said above the best thing is to have a plan and be prepared to adapt when it inevitably falls apart.

The comparisons between chess and ASL are endless but the one thing that good players of both have in common is the ability to look a few turns ahead.

Once again great post and good gunnin to you!🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Truly enjoying the input on this topic so far. Of course, I'm so darn slow because I don't know the rules in detail enough to execute a plan without my opponent pointing out "Well, no...you really can't do that..." every other move I make. BUT, I keep trying!
That's the spirit! Keep that attitude and you will become a very happy player! Perhaps not the best but one enjoyable opponent. Good luck and good gunnin to you.

Hitchhiker's Guide said " bang the rocks together guys. " I say read the rules guys!

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
the one thing that good players of both have in common is the ability to look a few turns ahead.
That is not unique to good players at all.

It is turn one. A look into my mind if you dare:

Hmm, uhm, let's see...My platoon of Panthers will be over here and burning wrecks on turn three. So, no need to concern myself with Exit VP... OK. Uhm, I'll move my 10-3 leader over here with no possibility of getting shot at, where he will die in a grotesque military manner from a sniper attack, where his new pronouns will be, (was and were). Right then, I think I'll concede the scenario prior to the turn one wind change...

How is that for foresight and great vision of ASL?

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
I like "8 on the 8" = NMC. :)
Yeah, but after that... my guess is a 12 is most often a no result. I have one FTF player that prefers the IIFT, which makes memorizing much more futile. I'm not a geek enough to make an IFT Alexa App, to just ask her. I would also put easter eggs into it like when you roll a 12, she'll say. " No Result, that sucks for you."

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Exactly!! Don't overthink the situation. We tried to play to the " 2 minute " turn but that was often an unrealistic goal. Still a goal well worth attempting to achieve.
It was always an unrealistic goal but we tried to play relatively quickly.

Another way to speed up your play is to practice playing fast. Pick a low piece density scenario and play it at least four times in a row. Preferably at least twice in one session, three times would be better. After a few playings you should be familiar enough with the scenario so instead of thinking you can concentrate on doing. Don't concentrate too much just do it!

This should help you become comfortable at playing at a doing pace. When you play a different scenario try to maintain that comfort levei and remember it's just a game. If you eff up because you were doing instead of thinking at least you may have time for another scenario. 😉

This approach is all a direct product of endless casualty drills as a sailor and the lessons learned from them. It's a technique that worked well for the Navy and it seemed to work well for ASL.

I am a great advocate for replaying a scenario. Especially multiple times in a row. We did this frequently and it definitely helped us play faster. I also think it helps you to learn how to adapt and become more flexible in your approach to the game.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Slow players don’t think/know they are slow. If they knew they were slow they might figure a way to speed up, but like I said- they don’t know they are slow. One might have better luck yelling at the wind than speed up a slow player.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Slow players don’t think/know they are slow. If they knew they were slow they might figure a way to speed up, but like I said- they don’t know they are slo iouw. One might have better luck yelling at the wind than speed up a slow player.
Yes but there is a distinction between a slow player and those who want to speed up their play a bit. Advice on playing faster may not be helpful or wanted by the former but appreciated by the latter.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
This, so much. I'm a victim of my own obsession. Figure all the DRM, odds, options, find the chance is minimal, then roll a 5,6. 🤣

On low odds type of shots, do the math after rolling...or maybe not at all depending on how you roll.
I think this is a self correcting issue.
Before one takes a shot, the "fast" players pretty much KNOW what the DRM's are and therefore Look at a shot and say...yeah, only one hindrance, that's a 4.

Whereas, the player that isn't fully comfortable with the mods will be referencing them. To these players, they won't know if they hit on a 4,5,6...so when one of those show up..they look up the values anyway...
Yes, Rolling the DICE can cut the game down a little, but not really by much...the Ratio of Guns/tanks to infantry is typically pretty low in a game.

ALSO, with Vehicles, and this Second example, movement and using the vehicle confidently isn't at the same level as the "Fast" player. Smoke dischargers don't come into consideration for some. which will slow their INF moves down. ACTUALLY suggesting to use their SMOKE as their opponent will speed up the game. Do you want to shred him or have a faster game?

That seems to be a point. Some JUST want to play faster, others want a good game. Some think these overlap, others don't see it as so.

IF you are playing with a really experienced player in a situation that he's comfortable with AND he plays slowly...that's AP

IMO, it boils down to Rules implementation. Do you know the rule and how to apply? If you don't, you'll fumble with the game.
" I know how to place a DC, but I don't know HOW to setup the situation that will allow me to do that effectively."
So many players that "teach" do not "show"

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Slow players don’t think/know they are slow. If they knew they were slow they might figure a way to speed up, but like I said- they don’t know they are slow. One might have better luck yelling at the wind than speed up a slow player.
I do not believe that your assessment is correct. Most players are well aware if they are in the slower or faster camp.

There is one thing I find one-sided in this kind of threads:

It is the "fast is good and slow is bad" attitude.

There are two main reasons why players do not play fast.
  1. They do not yet have the experience to play fast and are still learning. That is perfectly fine.
  2. They simply prefer a deliberate/slow style of play to the fast style of play. Which is fine as well.
I believe that no one criticizes the first point.
But I think that many 'fast' players fail to realize that their style of play is not better but merely different.

That said, it can be equally trying for a fast player to 'endure' a slow one - but also vice versa.
Live and let live.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I do not believe that your assessment is correct. Most players are well aware if they are in the slower or faster camp.

1. They do not yet have the experience to play fast and are still learning. That is perfectly fine.
  2. They simply prefer a deliberate/slow style of play to the fast style of play. Which is fine as well.
But I think that many 'fast' players fail to realize that their style of play is not better but merely different.

That said, it can be equally trying for a fast player to 'endure' a slow one - but also vice versa.
Live and let live.

von Marwitz
Well put. The purpose of this thread was to give advice to those players who want to speed up their play a bit not necessarily to become a fast player.

I didn't play many slow players except for Doctor Marc and I was fine with that since he introduced me to SL. I didn't play a fast player until meeting Fish.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Live and let live.
It indeed comes down to adapting one to the other, and to the context of the meeting.
I don't mind playing people who take twice or thrice more time to complete their gamer's turn than I do.
And I will readily slow down if my opponent needs to have more time to think their defense.
But the context is VASL online, where you simply can schedule different meetings readily.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

Live and let live.

von Marwitz
Tactics is a visceral endeavor. Any tactical game worth it's salt is just as visceral.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have been. Sadly, fast has to accommodate slow. Fast can "pace down" to slow. Slow cannot "pace up" to fast. All slow can do is ask up to play their way. I certainly am willing to do so. I do find it taxing to some extent, but that is a "me issue" not a "you issue" (where you == the person I am playing).

I beg to differ. Fast play allows you to play more games. Playing more games gives you a chance to play more people. Playing more people gives you a chance to meet new people and learn new things. Playing more games against a broader range of players in a similar amount of time tends to create a more well rounded ASL player on average. So if your aim is simply to play, then yes, the two ways are merely different. If your aim is to play more, or get better, or play more people, then playing faster is far superior.

As with most things, this is JMO. YMMV. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have been. Sadly, fast has to accommodate slow. Fast can "pace down" to slow. Slow cannot "pace up" to fast. All slow can do is ask up to play their way. I certainly am willing to do so. I do find it taxing to some extent, but that is a "me issue" not a "you issue" (where you == the person I am playing).

I beg to differ. Fast play allows you to play more games. Playing more games gives you a chance to play more people. Playing more people gives you a chance to meet new people and learn new things. Playing more games against a broader range of players in a similar amount of time tends to create a more well rounded ASL player on average. So if your aim is simply to play, then yes, the two ways are merely different. If your aim is to play more, or get better, or play more people, then playing faster is far superior.

As with most things, this is JMO. YMMV. -- jim
As you imply it all depends upon what you are looking to get out of the game, what your objective is in playing ASL. This can be situational.

We played for fun but also usually with tournament play in mind. My pace for casual play ( versus Fish )would be would be faster than what it was at an event, usually not versus Fish. Although we did play against each other at events three or four times. On those occasions we would revert more to our normal fast pace of play.

Again this thread is not meant to malign slower players but to help any player who merely wants to play a little bit quicker.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm slow, and I know it. And I'm okay with it. I'm capable of speeding up, but when I'm playing with my regular playing partner neither of us give a shit. We're just trying to enjoy a game. 😁