Rounded corners and tweezers

M.Netto

Reaction score
Country
llBrazil
I have just bought Beyond Valor, my first ASL module, and my counters look much coarser than those beautiful rounded corners counters we can see everywhere on the internet. How do you get those rounded corners? Is it some special edition or is there a way to cut those corners and still get this smooth glow at the edges? I though about trying nail cutters, but I'm afraid to screw up and lose some counters.

Also, trying tweezers, to move counters around is almost a need, due to their small size, but sometimes they will just slip and scatter around. Is there a specific brand you would recommend?

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used toenail clippers. Fingernail clippers also work but they are smaller and you have to use more force.
I put tape on the sides of the clipper to contain the bits of cardboard, so they don't fly out.

M.Netto

Reaction score
Country
llBrazil
Nice tool. I must confess I didn't know it. Yet, I couldn't find a 2.5mm one without having to import and:

A little expensive. Almost what I paid for Beyond Valor and eASLRB together.
Will do some further search, but I guess Scott's solution will have to do for me.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Nice tool. I must confess I didn't know it. Yet, I couldn't find a 2.5mm one without having to import and:
View attachment 27963

A little expensive. Almost what I paid for Beyond Valor and eASLRB together.
Will do some further search, but I guess Scott's solution will have to do for me.
They second chance games in the U.K. for the clippers and for comparison here are the sizes on two counter sizes of f the most popular ones

Attachments

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I used toenail clippers. Fingernail clippers also work but they are smaller and you have to use more force.
I put tape on the sides of the clipper to contain the bits of cardboard, so they don't fly out.
@M.Netto : If you want nice looking rounded corners, I would strongly advise NOT to use toenail or fingernail clippers.

Maybe just my humble opinion, but I think that nail-clipped counters look worse than if you just leave them unclipped.
In case you do decide for an Oregon clipper, make sure to fix the handle with a "trick" to avoid breakage (you'll get more input, if need be).

von Marwitz

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States

Those come in 2 flavors. 2mm and 2.5mm. I prefer the 2mm some guys like the 2.5mm (more rounded)

Just be careful to only compress it until the counter clips (audible) if you compress the handles to full travel, it'll break the tool. Some guy's tape/glue/affix a die under the handles to make a travel stop. I've well over 10000 counters lipped on mine without it breaking yet. Also, there are YouTube videos on fixing them should they crack.

The same company also makes an all-metal clipper. It was too tedious for me to use, and I couldn't get the counters as uniform as I like [OCD]. With the plastic one it squares the counter quickly and once you get the hang of it, clipping goes fast.

This thing was the BEST ASL (all my board games) investment I ever made!

Just get it!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
AKA: You're a real man (except for the tape part. Just clip over a trash can and run the vacuum once you're done). Pansy boys use those fancy clipper thingys. They need to be nannied so they don't mutilate their counters. No self control. -- jim🤣

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
@M.Netto : If you want nice looking rounded corners, I would strongly advise NOT to use toenail or fingernail clippers.

Maybe just my humble opinion, but I think that nail-clipped counters look worse than if you just leave them unclipped.
In case you do decide for an Oregon clipper, make sure to fix the handle with a "trick" to avoid breakage (you'll get more input, if need be).

von Marwitz
Come to America. We will play with my set. You will see what the good stuff looks like. -- jim

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
View attachment 27965

Those come in 2 flavors. 2mm and 2.5mm. I prefer the 2mm some guys like the 2.5mm (more rounded)

Just be careful to only compress it until the counter clips (audible) if you compress the handles to full travel, it'll break the tool. Some guy's tape/glue/affix a die under the handles to make a travel stop. I've well over 10000 counters lipped on mine without it breaking yet. Also, there are YouTube videos on fixing them should they crack.

The same company also makes an all-metal clipper. It was too tedious for me to use, and I couldn't get the counters as uniform as I like [OCD]. With the plastic one it squares the counter quickly and once you get the hang of it, clipping goes fast.

This thing was the BEST ASL (all my board games) investment I ever made!

Just get it!
They also do 3mm and larger!

M.Netto

Reaction score
Country
llBrazil
They second chance games in the U.K. for the clippers and for comparison here are the sizes on two counter sizes of f the most popular ones
I really like those 2mm corners.

What about the tweezers. Any way to prevent large stacks from slipping and scattering around?

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having used quite a few methods to clip or cut counters .............................. the Oregon is the way to go. I like the 2mm on Infantry and the 3mm on vehicles.

Seth