Twilight of the Reich Update

FrankH.

Reaction score
Probably the usual 26 squads and 14-16 HS.
This would appear to be dictated by the unwritten rule of designating squads and half squads by the English alphabet. Probably should not preclude the theoretical possibility that in future French units may be designated by the French, German units by the German, Russian units by the Russian, etc., alphabets. This might be a bit more challenging when dealing with Asian units. But who knows: if and as ASL gains more acceptance internationally?

I guess I am just a barrel of ideas recently...

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Discussion about the Volks stuff was moved to new thread.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Somewhat underwhelming and annoying, tbh. A little counter bloat, yet more city scenarios and maps and now my 'pocket' rulebook is out of date... of course, I'll still buy it.
I hear ya. Depending on how extensive the new rules are, I might just photocopy those pages at reduced scale and “glue stick” them somewhere inside the existing pocket rulebook.

criticalhit

Reaction score
Last edited:

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will be buying this for sure. I will always support the hobby and encourage every ASL enthusiast to pursue their efforts towards making future designs. I have some RR station scenarios in the works and soon I will have more options for these pending designs.

Brave Lion

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... And armored trains.
We are working on an armored train expansion. However, there is still much more to do at the moment. Just like with normal AFVs, there is a lot of variety in armored trains. Railcars with 1, 2, 3, and even 4 turrets (some superfiring over others), recon cars on tracks, ATG cars, AAA cars, ART cars, MTR cars, and even OP cars. They were more than just infantry carriers on tracks.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
We are working on an armored train expansion. However, there is still much more to do at the moment. Just like with normal AFVs, there is a lot of variety in armored trains. Railcars with 1, 2, 3, and even 4 turrets (some superfiring over others), recon cars on tracks, ATG cars, AAA cars, ART cars, MTR cars, and even OP cars. They were more than just infantry carriers on tracks.
Also note, that some German armored trains carried tanks in railroad cars with special ramps, which allowed the AFVs to be quickly deployed along the track.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Also note, that some German armored trains carried tanks in railroad cars with special ramps, which allowed the AFVs to be quickly deployed along the track.

von Marwitz
For the obvious reasons, my library has not much specialized books on such exotic things as armored trains, but I have "Deutsche Panzerzüge" by Wolfgang Sawodny, ISBN 9783895551048. Only 150 pages, many pictures, and in German. But maybe still interesting if you want to delve in German armored trains of WW2.

Here some scans:

Some of the German armored trains are likely too complicated to be depicted adequately in ASL. But some might fit into the scope of the game.

Those special cars depicted had a fixed ramp, so that the tank merely needed to drive off. Before that, however, another car either after or before (mine protection) needed to be detached. So maybe if a train would be attacked by partisans in turn 1, a tank might have been deployed by turn 3 or 4 I assume, which would make it an interesting option for a scenario design.

Maybe Eisenbahnpanzerzüge 201-240 or 301-304 (see scan) are possible to convert to game terms.

von Marwitz

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
For the obvious reasons, my library has not much specialized books on such exotic things as armored trains, but I have "Deutsche Panzerzüge" by Wolfgang Sawodny, ISBN 9783895551048. Only 150 pages, many pictures, and in German. But maybe still interesting if you want to delve in German armored trains of WW2.

Here some scans:
View attachment 28117

View attachment 28118

Some of the German armored trains are likely too complicated to be depicted adequately in ASL. But some might fit into the scope of the game.

Those special cars depicted had a fixed ramp, so that the tank merely needed to drive off. Before that, however, another car either after or before (mine protection) needed to be detached. So maybe if a train would be attacked by partisans in turn 1, a tank might have been deployed by turn 3 or 4 I assume, which would make it an interesting option for a scenario design.

Maybe Eisenbahnpanzerzüge 201-240 or 301-304 (see scan) are possible to convert to game terms.

von Marwitz
I love stuff like this.

However, the silhouettes of the trains might need a CLIMB counter as they're on a 90-degree incline! I'm sure there's a rule for that somewhere.

Brave Lion

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
Already noted. The Poles had a strange one with harness to allow an otherwise unmodified light tank to use rail movement. It is a rather unique and little known world of AFV combat.