Recent content by JVan

1. J

2014 MLB postseason picks

I think the Orioles look good to go to the World Series. I'm pulling for the Angels, but I'm not sure after the way they looked last night. They were pretty anemic. Josh Hamilton in particular looked really bad.
  2. J

Music: what are you Listening to now?

I've been hooked on Beck's new album, Morning Phase. It's a great album. It's very much like Sea Change but even better.
  3. J

If there was only one CD/Album...

Jeez, that's a tough one. I'd say Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek and the Dominos.
  4. J

Just saw Star Trek: Into Darkness

I saw it over the weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. I also saw the 2009 reboot and enjoyed that as well. I'm not a hard core Trekkie, but I do enjoy my Star Trek. I think Abrams does a nice job and really respects the original series and movies. The are exciting and well made. In short, to me...
  5. J

Nine songs for your teenagers iPod

Here's my list. Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone Marty Robbins - El Paso The Moody Blues - Forever Afternoon (Tuesday) The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman Glenn Miller - String of Pearls The Eagles - Lyin' Eyes Brian...
  6. J

Songs that really move you

Down By the Seaside by Led Zeppelin. A friend loaned me the Physical Graffiti LP when my parents went away for a week and left me at the house by myself. That was a great week that I will never forget and that album was the soundtrack. I will never forget discovering that song. To this day I...
  7. J

Glennbo's 2012 Baseball Thread

Anaheim's my team. I hope the addition of Pujols helps, although they really need to ditch Vernon Wells. No gas left in that tank.
  8. J

What are your favorite sports?

I love baseball but all we have up here are the Mariners, who I can't stand so I don't get to see too much. Hockey is exciting and fast paced and I enjoy that if it's on. I used to like NASCAR but have lost interest in it over the last 10 to 15 years. Give me a good sprint car race and that's...
  9. J

What live sporting events have you been to?

I've been to lots of Angel and Dodger baseball games (before Dodger Stadium became gang heaven), several Duck hockey games, 3 Freedom Bowl games, a Portland Winterhawks hockey game, a USC football game and a Rams football game. I also went to several USAC indy car races in the 70's, a couple of...
  10. J

Yes, Barnstorm is a good one too. That is a new one to me, too. I wish I'd listened to those two albums years ago. I like both versions of "Turn to Stone." The one on Barnstorm is much more raw, which I like. Obviously this was a very productive time for him because I recently read that the song...
  11. J

Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get. I never really listened to this album until recently. Little did I know what I'd been missing. This is a great album.
  12. J

New members introduce yourself here

Hello everyone. A friend told me about this website and I've been lurking for quite a while. I began playing SL in the early 80's and then graduated to ASL when it came out. Played a lot for several years until all my opponents moved away. I'm finally back in the position where I have a regular...