Songs that really move you

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
What songs really say something special to you? Songs that you can just listen to over and over.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So whats yours Don? There are several songs that really touch me(the Tubes Don't touch me there ;-), but none that I can listen to over and over. The Divynals I touch myself. Okay, nuff sillyness. I really like "Maybe" and "There is a Reason" by Alison Krause. Walking Home with You by Tree 63 that really grabs my heart. Lastly The Beatles Julia, because my wife and I played it while our last child, Julia, was being born.

As an extension of the theme, how about songs that take you back someplace. Sometimes I smell a scent that transports me back, sometimes a song can do the same. The needle and the Damage done is one. Half a Dozen Provocative Squats by Zappa is another.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Here I go again" by Whitesnake

It came out in Sept 1987 while in basic training. Every time I hear that song it puts me back to Fort Knox Disney Barracks sitting in the little concession area they had next to the PX. The jukebox played the crap out of that song. Probably a handful of mushy songs that remind me of an old girlfriend, etc., but I generally don't sit and hit repeat on my iPod for those songs.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
"...I hit the city and I lost my van, I saw the needle take another man..." I never MAINLINED, but it takes me back to a time when everything else was fair game. The song that still moves me most AND transports me back would be "Someone's Gonna Die Tonight" by The Blitz.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hehe, that reminds of of my time in the Philipines. Most bars had a house band and they all played the crap out of Freebird. Damn I hate that song.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
[video=youtube;-51523WFn_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-51523WFn_8&feature=related[/video]

JVan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Down By the Seaside by Led Zeppelin. A friend loaned me the Physical Graffiti LP when my parents went away for a week and left me at the house by myself. That was a great week that I will never forget and that album was the soundtrack. I will never forget discovering that song. To this day I never tire of it.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's **** by Cannibal Corpse really does a number on me.

No, but seriously: in the metal realm there ARE at least two bands that have plenty of moving lyrics that both consistently evoke loss and sorrow (and sometimes hope, perhaps):
My Dying Bride
Insomnium

Try out "She Is the Dark" by My Dying Bride

She is the dark, the nightmares you hide
The pain you feel, the suffering inside
Though she was like you, through her dark past
But now, the conqueror, her choirs vast
Oh, please forgive her as mankind dies
As angels weep and heaven cries

OR

"Daughter of the Moon" by Insomnium.

Still at night I see her figure
Flickering on moonlit glades
But passing is the hope she's giving
Just a faintest breath of air and she's gone again

Last edited:

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Off the top of my head I would say Emerson, Lake & Palmer's 'Karn Evil Nine Third Impression', 'Cinema Show' by Genesis, 'The Mountain' by Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) and the Third Movement of Mike Oldfield's Incantations. They are all so very apocalyptic. ;)

Primus, I love the Tubes! They were one of the most underrated bands of the 70's and 80's, and a great example of early progressive pop. I especially liked 'I Don't Want to Wait Anymore', 'Prime Time', and 'Love's A Mystery'. I think their sometimes over the top stage shows tended to obscure the fact that they were great musicians and songwriters.

Last edited:

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, sometimes think they(the Tubes) don't get the credit they deserve.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
[video=youtube;3aF9AJm0RFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aF9AJm0RFc[/video]

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
[video=youtube;sHQ_aTjXObs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHQ_aTjXObs[/video]

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
[video=youtube;PbeIv39s04s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbeIv39s04s[/video]

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[video=youtube;3aF9AJm0RFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aF9AJm0RFc[/video]
Great song. As an aside, I think Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon did a great job as Johnny Cash and June Carter in 'Walk the Line'. Also, 'Ring of Fire' was my favorite from Johnny and June.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it was just shortly before Johnnys death that Preparation H approached with the desire for the rights to use "Ring oif Fire" as a background to a commercial. Good song though. Cash wrote some amazing songs.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. It's not the song part...

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. It's not the song part...
Yes, Comfortably Numb was one of my favorite songs for many years.

An interesting thing about the Floyd though is that they remain to this day the most commercially successful progressive rock group ever, even though they were not nearly as sophisticated musically as the other great prog bands like ELP, Yes, Genesis, and Transatlantic. Still in all though, as with the other great prog 'lite' group Rush, their impact on the current generation of young musicians cannot be overstated.

BTW, one of my favorite Floyd songs is the old, old Cymbaline from the 'More' soundtrack. "And it's, high time, Cymbaline...."

I also love 'When the Tigers Broke Free':
"It was just before dawn
One miserable morning in black 'forty four.
When the forward commander
Was told to sit tight
When he asked that his men be withdrawn." :)

Last edited:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
OI! in the 80's, and the seventies in the 90's.:smoke:

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
An interesting thing about the Floyd though is that they remain to this day the most commercially successful progressive rock group ever, even though they were not nearly as sophisticated musically as the other great prog bands like ELP, Yes, Genesis, and Transatlantic.
That's debatable. I would argue the musicians from Floyd are among rock's truly elite. Gilmore, in particular, is way up there. He's pretty high up on Rolling Stone magazine's list of 100 greatest guitarists of all time.