ASL New Year Resolutions

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I need to rededicate myself to ASL (at least more than I do now). ASL is a fickle mistress. When I was really into ASL (lets not use the word obsessed 🆒) I was to the point where I was not bad, winning more than losing. I was reading the rulebook once a year, I was on the Forums all the time, reading and rereading journals, numerous PBEM games going on, etc. etc. etc. But then it got to the point where it was like a job. One ASL buddy moved away, and my other local ASL buddy (and my VASL buddy) and I starting playing other stuff. Thus ASL was regulated to the back burner (of sorts). Heck I even forgot I got Journal 12. I noticed a drop off of my play which is to be expected. I kept up with everything (official) and am still playing just not nearly as much.

Well its time to get back to it more....... I am going to try and plow through the rulebook in the next few months. Gonna get a couple PBEM games going and do some other reading on the game.

I do not see myself returning to that obsessed state, but as I said, ASL is a fickle mistress and one has to spend some quality time with her or the relationship deteriorates.

Peace

Roger

criticalhit

Reaction score
AS an update to this post hear are some photos:
the color scheme is based on the counter colours not exact match but close. Green =US; Blue = German; Tan = British commonwealth; Brown = Russian; the base board is going to be Italian Gray.
you can fit lots of shelves or book cases in that wall enclosure, but where are the radiators, isnt it cold with all those windows?

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
you can fit lots of shelves or book cases in that wall enclosure, but where are the radiators, isnt it cold with all those windows?
Its heated by forced air up though the floor. The registers' are covered temporarily for construction. Air conditioner will be one of those new type wall units. About half of the 14 wall outlets also have a USB plug there is wifi and cable. Dorm refrigerator, 36" flat screen with DVD player. I have a few old fashioned type-set cabinets from the 1920's and a antique architect cabinet to use for counter and map storage that will go in the alcove; as well as a few other unique goodies I'm keeping under raps till the grand opening. All to make playing there a experience

Last edited:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Its heated by forced air up though the floor. The registers' are covered temporarily for construction. Air conditioner will be one of those new type wall units. About half of the 14 wall outlets also have a USB plug there is wifi and cable. Dorm refrigerator, 36" flat screen with DVD player. I have a few old fashioned type-set cabinets from the 1920's and a antique architect cabinet to use for counter and map storage that will go in the alcove; as well as a few other unique goodies I'm keeping under raps till the grand opening. All to make playing there a experience
What state (assuming you are in the USA) are you in Dan? There should be plenty of ASLers who want to visit you once you get the room finished, sounds awesome to me. I'm in Pittsfield MA and have my own game room, smaller than what you are constructing but I can host 3 games in there at a time. Sadly, since we moved in just as the pandemic was starting, I have only had a visitor in it once, hoping for more this year. I do play VASL at least once a week and often 2 or 3 times. I wish you well, if you are in southern New England or the eastern half of upstate NY, I might be interested in seeing this game room for real someday, Vic.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
if you look at my profile location you'll se I'm in New Jersey. I live not far from Paul Sidhu. I haven't see Paul in several years or played anyone in that time due to "Real Life" *tm and now I want to get back into it
So you’re building a man cave to lure in Paul and ambush him?
Good plan, but be careful. He’s stealthy.

criticalhit

Reaction score
Don't forget to go the neighborhood lumber store and buy at least 2........... 8 x 4 pieces of plywood to make table tops

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
if you look at my profile location you'll se I'm in New Jersey. I live not far from Paul Sidhu. I haven't see Paul in several years or played anyone in that time due to "Real Life" *tm and now I want to get back into it
If I'm ever down that way I'll let you know, always love to through real dice in a cool game room experience. Paul and Ron Duenskie are awesome players and both do playtest for me, if looking for some players to help fill your room, those 2 would be the first I would contact, you are guaranteed a good match and probably learn something you did not or possibly played wrong, they are that good. In any event, they will get you up to speed and playing well at ASL again. Enjoy!

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I have almost complete record of my games played since late 1998 and at end of 2022 it stood at 938 games of published scenarios- so my goal is to get it to 1000 before end of 2023.

I have managed to add 5 more in January so I am on track to that goal.

I reality I have played more than that- I had played about 140-150 scenarios before that date where I lost the record of on a computer hard drive crash and also roundabout 10 or so scenarios played in international tournaments have not been recorded in the total- On top of that I have 60 or so playtest games.

But still, to have 1000 recorded games is my goal for 2023.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have almost complete record of my games played since late 1998 and at end of 2022 it stood at 938 games of published scenarios- so my goal is to get it to 1000 before end of 2023.

I reality I have played more than that- I had played about 140-150 scenarios before that date where I lost the record of on a computer hard drive crash and also roundabout 10 or so scenarios played in international tournaments have not been recorded in the total- On top of that I have 60 or so playtest games.

Good luck! I hope you achieve your goal and have a great time doing it. 🤗

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My wife wants our upstairs joint home office to be ... an office, not a storage room for my games. I am being relegated to the downstairs (empty) bedroom. 20' x 10' should provide enough space!

Meanwhile, I looked at Derek Ritter's hyper-organized RAACO system with color coded trays. My WO (not New Year) resolution is to finish my reorganization of my ASL gear. 3D printer going 20 of 24 hours a day.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Meanwhile, I looked at Derek Ritter's hyper-organized RAACO system with color coded trays. My WO (not New Year) resolution is to finish my reorganization of my ASL gear. 3D printer going 20 of 24 hours a day.
Yes, that is a nice set. One day I will have them all clipped and in the same type of setup as Derek's.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes, that is a nice set. One day I will have them all clipped and in the same type of setup as Derek's.
The journey of a million clips starts with a single counter.🤔

Good luck with the project! I clipped a handful of counters. It wasn't pretty.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The journey of a million clips starts with a single counter.🤔

Good luck with the project! I clipped a handful of counters. It wasn't pretty.
I cannot take credit for the clip job. I contracted Olli to do the first half and soon I will ask him if he could fit in the other half sometime soon.

I will then have a buddy print Derek's tray(s) and that will put paid to my counter storage. No matter what there will no more changes!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I cannot take credit for the clip job. I contracted Olli to do the first half and soon I will ask him if he could fit in the other half sometime soon.

I will then have a buddy print Derek's tray(s) and that will put paid to my counter storage. No matter what there will no more changes!
When in doubt hire an expert!!

I predict that Olli will be the first person to do a million clips.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States

probably my biggest mistake in ASL was not recording my games. But its too late to go back now.

Roger

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I predict that Olli will be the first person to do a million clips.
I am pretty sure that he has long passed that mark.

Let us assume that a full kit has some 25,000 counters, which already is a conservative estimate. This would mean 100,000 clippings per kit.

Olli, however, has that notorious "Wall of RAACO". And he is insane enough to clip ASL kits for others on commission.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I am pretty sure that he has long passed that mark.

Let us assume that a full kit has some 25,000 counters, which already is a conservative estimate. This would mean 100,000 clippings per kit.

Olli, however, has that notorious "Wall of RAACO". And he is insane enough to clip ASL kits for others on commission.

von Marwitz
That is what I thought also! He is a clipping monster.