What This Map Needs... Is A Little More Bakunawa!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that Manila: Sword and Fire is out and the awards and back-slapping are in full swing, the Ugly Truth can come out: the Manila Map is not all it could have been 🤯

It's fun to do a map and pick out various art elements that fit the scene - particularly when the scene has such cultural depth as the Philippines. After some fun searching for a map title font, I hit on Paete Round, which seemed to capture the feel:

MMP and Sarge were great to work with, but one disappointment was their nixing of a map element that would have put this thing over the top, from Merely Excellent to ZOMG MY MIND IS BLOWN I MUST BUY TEN OF THESE.

And that's the Bakunawa. The dragon from Philippine mythology that ate the moon. And one thing that strikes you about the Manila map is: there's this big ol' Manila Bay just sitting there, begging for some artwork. And whaddaya know, the hexgrid's got a lot of WHITE DOTS.... LIKE THE MOON.

How cool would it have been to grab this artwork from Deviant Art and stick it out there in the middle of Manila Bay:

I KNOW!

Alas, American Cultural Sensibilities prevailed, and the module somehow shuffled out the door. But deep in my heart, I knew that one day I would post this message and Have My Artist's Revenge.

And ya know what? There's always the VASL map.... ;-)

Attachments

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's something very fishy about this thread.........
If you had done this, we wold have also needed to include Godzilla in the bay for balance.....then you have to appease all the other creatures from the Zilla films, and it just gets out of hand.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Don't worry Sarge. The map is superb.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it would be cool to have overlays of the bridges intact. Might allow for some cool hypothetical bridge crossing scenarios.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it would be cool to have overlays of the bridges intact. Might allow for some cool hypothetical bridge crossing scenarios.
"Let's just make more work for the Map Guy".

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If he ate the moon why is it still there ? Maybe instead of cheese the moon is made of dragon turd.

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
  • There were 7 moons. Bakunawa ate 6.
  • Locals believe the world will end if the last moon is gone.
  • Bakunawa tries to swallow the last moon from time to time. Locals would come out banging pots and pans. Bakunawa spits the last moon back out. Hence ellipses.
(from reading Wikipedia)