"Known enemy Units" not yet come on

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While a player does not have right of inspection to peel the lid of an off-board stack, four stacks of counters four-high tells me that the entering player has 12 units/weapons/etc. under those ? counters. Klas said he doesn't count but some players do. I don't see where that violates the letter or the spirit of the rule.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
While a player does not have right of inspection to peel the lid of an off-board stack, four stacks of counters four-high tells me that the entering player has 12 units/weapons/etc. under those ? counters. Klas said he doesn't count but some players do. I don't see where that violates the letter or the spirit of the rule.
Because it doesn't. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Recon, Military Intelligence? Call it what you will. I'd say it's just different styles of play and approaches to the game. I probably didn't count as I am the type who just wanted to get down to the action.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Jim Stahler tells the story at WO about a player that studied the map and discerned which of the stacks were dummies. I can't look at my own setup and remember which stacks are dummies.
Ah yes!! A dilemma I also experienced. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Jim Stahler tells the story at WO about a player that studied the map and discerned which of the stacks were dummies. I can't look at my own setup and remember which stacks are dummies.
Glad I'm not the only one.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jim Taylor used to ask me to look at his setup and tell him where his HIP Guns were. I generally hit it within a hex or so. Most of ASL isn't rocket science. The better a player is, the more predictable they become. :) -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Jim Taylor used to ask me to look at his setup and tell him where his HIP Guns were. I generally hit it within a hex or so. Most of ASL isn't rocket science. The better a player is, the more predictable they become. :) -- jim
Precisely why I never tried to get better! I preferred to be unpredictable to keep Fish on his toes!🙄🙄🙄

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anything (not too complicated) that adds fog of war to this crazy game is fine by me. We already have waaaaay too much knowledge of the enemie’s OB.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Apart from inspection of what counters are actual concealed, should you have the ability to see all the stacks showing which are 1/2 inch counters and which are 5/8” and how many

Reasonable compromise?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Apart from inspection of what counters are actual concealed, should you have the ability to see all the stacks showing which are 1/2 inch counters and which are 5/8” and how many

Reasonable compromise?
A12.12 says units off board are concealed. A12.16 says you need LOS to have a Right of Inspection. A2.51 says there is no LOS to an offboard Location. The rules disallow your suggestion. There is nothing stopping you from counting the 1/2" and 5/8" counters brought onto the board and deducing the units left offboard though. -- jim

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
If you play any scenario and consider it to be not fun or somehow broken then don't play it again. Seems simple enough. There are plenty of scenarios out there to play.
No shit but you don't find it boring until you play it.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
This has nothing to do with the topic.
The TOPIC is units on the SCENARIO CARD that you place on the Card...(or keep in the box in case of .000002% of ASL players)
It has nothing to do with units setting up offboard with a board butted up against their entry point.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
No shit but you don't find it boring until you play it.
Obviously. Unless you want to depend on others for their opinions. 🤔

I don't think I ever played a scenario that I considered boring. Some not as good as others but none were boring.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
This has nothing to do with the topic.
The TOPIC is units on the SCENARIO CARD that you place on the Card...(or keep in the box in case of .000002% of ASL players)
It has nothing to do with units setting up offboard with a board butted up against their entry point.
Units you place on the scenario card?
I must be among the .0000002 %.☹

I think for the most part I didn't pull them until needed. Lazy or efficient? Why bother when Fish was most likely to have kicked my ass before the units were required?

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Obviously. Unless you want to depend on others for their opinions. 🤔

I don't think I ever played a scenario that I considered boring. Some not as good as others but none were boring.
Of course the possibility exists that the scenario is fine and the boring factor lies elsewhere. 🤔

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Units you place on the scenario card?
I must be among the .0000002 %.☹

I think for the most part I didn't pull them until needed. Lazy or efficient? Why bother when Fish was most likely to have kicked my ass before the units were required?
Also a scenario card laying around with counters on it would be in the way and an open invitation for FOBA,