EA Heldenkaiser (Allies) vs. Telumar (Axis)

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: Allied Turn 130 / 21st December 1941

Hehe. I have been attending two conferences after our vacation but am now back and have a turn from Stefan, so stay tuned. :)

Widow Maker

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Allied Turn 130 / 21st December 1941

We eagerly await. It would be good to see one of these go most of the distance. Enjoying these AAR's a lot thanks.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 134 / 18th January 1942

Still enjoying the negative shock for the Axis that makes it so simple to turn the tables on them and blow THEIR bridges for a change. Every try but one succeeds. A counterattack by Army of the Nile and SA Armour against a vastly inferior Italian armoured corps outside Baghdad fails with heavy losses however in spite of the shock. Sometimes I can't believe what high proficiency and a few trenches can do. More troops to Gibraltar, more troops to the Kuban, some bridge repairing, and that's it. I may hold the Caucasus however, now.

MThomas722

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Re: Allied Turn 134 / 18th January 1942

Thanks for this great AAR - have enjoyed reading. Did you guys upgrade to 3.4 in the middle of the game? Notice any difference between TOAW 3 and 3.4?

Cheers,

Matt

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Re: Allied Turn 133 / 11th January 1942

My email archive does indeed reveal that we patched to 3.4 around turn 86. But that was over a year ago and I am largely ignorant of the subtleties of TOAW anyway, so I don't recall having noticed any differences. I am just playing ... :shy:

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score

I am largely ignorant of the subtleties of TOAW anyway, so I don't recall having noticed any differences. I am just playing ... :shy:
Something that doesn't apply to his opponent tho, LOL! His opponent is a betatester for this game..........therefor Dierk gets kudos for doing as well as he is!

:clown::clown::clown:

MThomas722

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll

Interesting. I've got this theory that 3.4 makes it very hard for the Axis to win against a good defensive player. Breaking through Russian fortified lines now seems well nigh imposible, even in 1941. Back when I played EA under ACOW and TOAW3 (just the one game under 3) the Axis used to run rampant.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Interesting. I've got this theory that 3.4 makes it very hard for the Axis to win against a good defensive player.
If I were a good defensive player, maybe then I'd have noticed a difference. As it is, Stefan is simply steamrollering my poor Russians as if they were made of soft biscuit. :clown:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 135 / 25th January 1942

My L/L destroyers have been sunk by air attack in the Med and the Med Fleet heavily damaged. Maybe not a good place for a navy to be right now; I am withdrawing the Med Fleet to the UK. Axis are still moving ground units west, this turn several SS corps. Hope it's a defensive move. I got seven or eight combat rounds for bridge blowing in the enemy rear. For the first time I noticed that three or four of my bomber wings have an insane range. I've been wrecking bridges as far back as Belgrade and Saloniki. At this time, there is no Axis rail link through the Balkans, as there is no bridge left standing between the lower Danube and the Caucasus. :)

(Of course it doesn't have any real effect right now because there is hardly any ground combat. But I suppose it must be BLOODY ANNOYING!! :p)

medck

Reaction score
Re: Allied Turn 135 / 25th January 1942

I got seven or eight combat rounds for bridge blowing in the enemy rear. For the first time I noticed that three or four of my bomber wings have an insane range. I've been wrecking bridges as far back as Belgrade and Saloniki. At this time, there is no Axis rail link through the Balkans, as there is no bridge left standing between the lower Danube and the Caucasus. :)
Do you have many British bombers to do the same thing in the Middle East, WEstern Europe or Italy? Anything to interrupt his movements and siphon off engineers/RR repair crews would be helpful. And of course it hits the supply level of his troops.

sapper32

Reaction score
Country
ll

It cant be to many turns before you start to get some reinforcements for the SU lots of tank corps this should add some steel to your defence and start the game turning in your favour Telumar must have suffered some horrendous losses by now.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Do you have many British bombers to do the same thing in the Middle East, WEstern Europe or Italy? Anything to interrupt his movements and siphon off engineers/RR repair crews would be helpful. And of course it hits the supply level of his troops.
His air defence in the West is pretty strong. He has even bolstered his forward airfields with antiaircraft guns. Besides, there isn't much moving in the West. But I'll see what I can do. :)

medck

Reaction score

His air defence in the West is pretty strong. He has even bolstered his forward airfields with antiaircraft guns. Besides, there isn't much moving in the West. But I'll see what I can do. :)
How's the Basra/MidEast force holding up? Is it a question of when you can turn the tide against the Italians or is there a worry that they can be overrun if more Germans arrive?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

How's the Basra/MidEast force holding up? Is it a question of when you can turn the tide against the Italians or is there a worry that they can be overrun if more Germans arrive?
Stalemate. I do doubt he's about to send any more Germans. From his side it's firmly an Italian theatre. His main effort is against the USSR. I try counterattacks every once in a while, but we're too weak here, even though Basra means we're nicely supplied and recovering quickly. The air situation is in his favour down here; I can't even blow bridges with any chance of success. Well, I guess holding Basra is good enough for the moment.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 136 / 1st February 1942

A huge replay, 1.300 pulses, 1.250 of which was German units moving west all over the board; air wings, artillery units, some ground units, and even the Kriegsmarine. Bismarck and some other stuff have sailed straight through the Channel (nobody seemed to be doing anything about it) and out into the Atlantic, where we trapped and tried to sink them west of Spain, but they're still afloat. What's he at? He already own everything down there. I no longer think that my weak feint against Algiers can have caused that massive overreaction. Does he think I am going to do an early TORCH? With what? I am puzzled. Nothing much elsewhere, except three disconnected local attacks in the Kuban and on the central front. Targets of opportunity I should say; two were frontline hexes held only by "I" units and one was the one-hex Gomel bulge (which held). He didn't even blow my bridges; I gather he was suitably shocked by my recent bridge-blowing orgy. I told him I'd leave his bridges alone if he'd leave mine alone. :D

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 137 / 8th February 1942

Mystery solved. Stefan was moving west in preparation for his bringing Spain into the war. I can't really see what for, but there it is. I got the Portuguese army, which I am shipping into exile in the UK as fast as I can, as it has halfway decent proficiency, and I can't hold the country anyway; Vichy forces all over the board, which are basically useless and mostly already in the process of being overrun by overwhelming Axis forces, and which I'll therefore leave to die in place and wreck the railroads while they still can; Vichy bombers, which I am likewise moving to the UK; and the Vichy fleet, which is being bottled up in the Med by German and Spanish naval forces in the Straits of Gibraltar, but I am trying to bail them out with all the naval forces I can gather, although this turn I only succeed in sinking the miniscule Spanish fleet. Massive bridge-blowing on my part in France, Germany, and the Balkans. That's about it. Hardly any action in the East. Somehow still no point in maps ...

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Re: Allied Turn 137 / 8th February 1942

I got the Portuguese army, which I am shipping into exile in the UK as fast as I can, as it has halfway decent proficiency, and I can't hold the country anyway;
Portuguese army will surrender if you can't hold Lisbon. What's the purpose of spending sea transport capacity exiling it to UK when it can stay and fight and "killing" some of Axis precious HRS on the process?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Portuguese army will surrender if you can't hold Lisbon. What's the purpose of spending sea transport capacity exiling it to UK when it can stay and fight and "killing" some of Axis precious HRS on the process?
Damn. I'll never learn how to play this game.

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score

Damn. I'll never learn how to play this game.
Frankly, Dierk, this info was in the scenario doc. It's worth making a folder on your desktop to keep a copy of it, eh? Read it!

:clown::nuts::clown: