EA Heldenkaiser (Allies) vs. Telumar (Axis)

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
My first game of EA. Since I expect this to be an interesting (and probably occasionally quite surprising) game, I will try a brief AAR again. However, since I am running out of webspace, and I do intend to complete my West Front AAR the way it is, with maps inserted in the text, I will here include maps only as attachments. Considering the scale of this thing, maps will probably not be quite as necessary for understanding the course of events than in an operational level game anyway. :shy:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 3 / 15th June 1939

The first three turns have passed with both sides picking their theater options. Stefan moved some units from inside Germany to the borders. From what I've seen I am quite confident he will attack Poland.

Personally, I am entrenching along the SE corner of Great Britain, just in case. (We have adopted the suggested house rule that limits fortifications to combat situations, the border, river lines, and cities, but I take it that a coast line qualifies as national border.) The big event for the moment is the redeployment of practically all the Soviet army--troops on the border itself excepted--to the Leningrad area, where they can invade either Finland or the Baltic states. For the first two turns I was keeping my options open there, but now on T3 I have picked the Winter War TO and have shipped troops further north into Karelia. I intend to take Finland out of the game for good and secure my northern border. Of course, if the war goes well, there will still be reserves left in the area for a quick march into Talinn and beyond. :)

Am I running an undue risk, I wonder? Will Stefan hit me immediately with all he's got? Well, I just hope all he's got now won't be quite enough to finish the job before I can readjust and move my reserves south again. Also there'd be Poland and the Baltic states still in the way. So all in all I feel I can give this a try.

Of course I don't really have an idea how this game works and whether my thinking makes any sense. But then that's the fun of it, isn't it? :laugh:

Olorin4

Generalfeldmarschall
Reaction score
Country
llGreece
I am unfamiliar with EA, but I suspect that there should be something simulating the M-R Pact, in which case, aren't the Baltics in the sphere of the Soviet Union? If there isn't a M-R pact to negotiate or other TO's available, then taking Finland and the Baltics out makes perfect sense, providing Germany doesn't turn on Russia immediately after Poland.

B-snafu

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to worry about Germany attacking Russia. Unless you took the "extend magnoit line" or such--Germany will not have a TO option to invade Russia until closer to historic times in early 41'. Once Germany has Poland --you can take the Baltics easily without fear.

Good luck on the early winter war. Good thing with doing it early is even with losses you have more time to recoup before Barb.

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
You shouldn't have to worry about Germany attacking Russia. Unless you took the "extend magnoit line" or such--Germany will not have a TO option to invade Russia until closer to historic times in early 41'. Once Germany has Poland --you can take the Baltics easily without fear.
I'm afraid that's not correct. The option to invade URSS appears much sooner.

B-snafu

Reaction score
My mistake. Sorry Heldenkasier & thanks Secadegas for the correction.

I guess In all of my games I have always waited till the 'barb' option came available (early 41' right?) or close to it so as to take the advantage of the shock & wouldn't dream of invading the steppes without it. So as to worrying about an early German invasion---from what I have read of other's experiences--it might even be benificial in the long run for you if Germany invades early.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I am unfamiliar with EA, but I suspect that there should be something simulating the M-R Pact, in which case, aren't the Baltics in the sphere of the Soviet Union? If there isn't a M-R pact to negotiate or other TO's available, then taking Finland and the Baltics out makes perfect sense, providing Germany doesn't turn on Russia immediately after Poland.
The way I read the briefing (God knows I don't pretend to understand it fully!), the Baltic states are sort of "up for grabs". Like Persia and some other places they can be invaded by anyone who so desires, without a declaration of war. Seeing how they are the shortest route to Leningrad from the German border, and how Stefan *has* indeed invaded Poland meanwhile, I think I'd be a fool to let the Germans take them. :shy:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I guess In all of my games I have always waited till the 'barb' option came available (early 41' right?) or close to it so as to take the advantage of the shock & wouldn't dream of invading the steppes without it. So as to worrying about an early German invasion---from what I have read of other's experiences--it might even be benificial in the long run for you if Germany invades early.
I thought so ... thanks for the comments! :)

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 4 / 22nd July 1939

- Germany invades Poland, the valiant defenders are outnumbered and outflanked, and Polish GHQ gives orders to go down with the flag flying, i.e. all units remain entrenched in their present positions and hope for rescue by the Western Allies. Warsaw may hold for another couple of weeks, it is hoped.
- France and the UK declare war on Germany in adherence to their guarantee of Poland.
- In accordance with secret agreements, Soviet troops enter eastern Poland.
- The Fins put up a determined defense on their borders, but to no avail. The frontline is breached in several places, including the vaunted Mannerheim Line. The garrison of Petsamo however gives Soviet 50th Army a bloody nose even though the latter is supported by the entire Northern Fleet.

Unfortunately, an early turn end prevents me from really exploiting my advantages. Still, I doubt the Fins got a chance. :)

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 5 / 29th July 1939

- It has dawned on Polish GHQ that, if Warsaw falls, the war will be over, and the field army won't make a difference. Since the Germans seem to know that, too, and leave the fortified field units alone while closing in on Warsaw, the field army has now started to fight back, and even with some success.
- The Soviet offensive in East Poland is a moderate success. The Polish garrison of Lvov (that's Lemberg) is completely unimpressed by the assault of an entire Soviet army, even evaporating a corps.
- Finland, too, is not quite what Stavka is hoping for. Resistance is fierce all along the border. The garrison of Petsamo even evaporates an infantry corps plus the Northern Fleet! :angry: Only the advance of 37th and 43rd army, plus XXIII Mech Cps, combined (anachronistically, or for deception reasons?) under the high command of the Kharkov front :D, through the narrow neck of Finland between Salla and Kemi, meets little resistance. It's all just a matter of time, of course, but Stavka is already using up the reserves held back for the invasion of Estonia ...
- French GHQ is bringing reserves forward to stabilize the central front, just in case.
- British bombers are taking out Rhine bridges at Essen and Düsseldorf. Attacks on Mainz and (boldly!) on Berlin fail.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 6 / 5th August 1939

A disappointing turn ... the entire Polish Army (what's left of it) is on reorg, and so are all Soviet Mech Corps. Needless to say, the offensive would have stalled even if the turn had not ended after the 90% combat round. :(
Nevertheless, two hexes gained in Finland, the Mannerheim Line is breached for good. And the Kharkov Front has succeeded in reaching the main S-N road in Finland and thus has cut off the northern third of the country. Now south?
Only hex gained in East Poland; no city falls. The Germans have taken Warsaw, I suppose that means the war is over for West Poland. :angry:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 7 / 12th August 1939

This turn was better, but it's still no fun fighting with those low proficiency Russians. Progress in both Finland and East Poland. In the North, the Mannerheim Line is crushed entirely and the Leningrad front is gaining some hexes, but elsewhere the Fins are stubborn. In Poland, Lwow and Vilna fall; a Polish corps is pressed over the Lithuanian border, which I understand means it will have to dissolve.
The Germans have meanwhile practically conquered West Poland, although a few of my units are holding out even after the officially announced surrender of Poland ("is now a part of the Reich" or so).
And the Finnish air force collectively committed suicide by attacking the Soviet Baltic Fleet. In a like endeavour, some British medium bombers were slaughtered, but at least not wiped out, attacking the German fleet off Kiel.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 8 / 19th August 1939

- Poland has surrendered; Soviet troops occupy the remainder of the eastern part.
- In Finland, finally progress: Viipuri falls, several hexes gained on the isthmus north of Lake Ladoga, and breaking out to the west and pushing a stack of Finnish ski troops before them, X Mech Cps is on the way to Helsinki. On the other hand, nothing moves in the north: the Fins are mighty stubborn there. Stavka throws in another army, 13th (its final reserve in the theater, the Baltic states will have to wait), to reinforce the Leningrad front.
- It appears I missed a news string to the effect that Belgium had allowed Allied troops to enter its territory. I just now noticed that the Belgian army was activated. Needless to say, French GHQ reserves moved into the Ardennes to plug the famous gap (see attached map). (What confuses me slightly is that I still have a TO that lets me invade Belgium. Seems to make no sense, now that the Belgians have decided let the Frogs in voluntarily. But the news string was unambiguous about that.)

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 9 / 26th August 1939

- After the conquest of Poland, the Wehrmacht is moving west in strength. I suppose the Low Countries and/or France will be next on the menu.
- Finland is a mixed bag. Good progress in the south, the Fins are on the run, XXV Mech Cps is leading the Orel front in the advance on Helsinki. No enemy worth mentioning in front of the Leningrad and Moscow fronts further NE. In the north, however, parts of Kharkov front's forces are cut off and surrender, and a Finish brigade on my LOC east of Salla evaporates a corps when being attacked from both sides!
- The Baltic states have entered the war on the Axis side. The Latvian air force evaporates while giving air support to Finnish land forces. :laugh:
- Soviet border troops deployed in East Poland.
- Belgian and French high command agree on sectors of defense in Belgium: the Belgians get the plains, the French the forests. :)
- Wondering about the status of Luxemburg. Can I just occupy it? It's not mentioned anywhere in the briefing. (I start a board thread to find out.)
- Wondering too why I am the only one running a loss penalty? (12 to 0 right now.) The Axis (the Fins, that is) have quite some losses.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Allied Turn 9 / 26th August 1939

- After the conquest of Poland, the Wehrmacht is moving west in strength. I suppose the Low Countries and/or France will be next on the menu.
- Finland is a mixed bag. Good progress in the south, the Fins are on the run, XXV Mech Cps is leading the Orel front in the advance on Helsinki. No enemy worth mentioning in front of the Leningrad and Moscow fronts further NE. In the north, however, parts of Kharkov front's forces are cut off and surrender, and a Finish brigade on my LOC east of Salla evaporates a corps when being attacked from both sides!
- The Baltic states have entered the war on the Axis side. The Latvian air force evaporates while giving air support to Finnish land forces. :laugh:
- Soviet border troops deployed in East Poland.
- Belgian and French high command agree on sectors of defense in Belgium: the Belgians get the plains, the French the forests. :)
- Wondering about the status of Luxemburg. Can I just occupy it? It's not mentioned anywhere in the briefing. (I start a board thread to find out.)
- Wondering too why I am the only one running a loss penalty? (12 to 0 right now.) The Axis (the Fins, that is) have quite some losses.
Because you lost all the Poles and he's only lost a few Finns (miniscule in the grand scheme).

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 10 / 2nd September 1939

- More Soviet units eliminated in the abortive invasion of North/Middle Finland. But it may have distracted the Fins just enough ...
- Decisive breakthrough in southern Finland (see map), which is, afterall, what counts. Orel Front (13th, 23rd, 34th Army, X and XXV Mech) has pushed away Finnish I and II Cps and is two hexes from Helsinki, with no Finnish field troops in between. Of course he may rail in reinforcements from northern Finland next turn, can't help that ... but I believe the days of an independent Finland are now counted. :)

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Allied Turn 10 / 2nd September 1939

- More Soviet units eliminated in the abortive invasion of North/Middle Finland. But it may have distracted the Fins just enough ...
- Decisive breakthrough in southern Finland (see map), which is, afterall, what counts. Orel Front (13th, 23rd, 34th Army, X and XXV Mech) has pushed away Finnish I and II Cps and is two hexes from Helsinki, with no Finnish field troops in between. Of course he may rail in reinforcements from northern Finland next turn, can't help that ... but I believe the days of an independent Finland are now counted. :)
Looks like the Finns are finished, only thing that could save them would be Swedish intervention.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Allied Turn 11 / 9th September 1939

- Stefan seems unwilling to give up in Finland, but his Finns may not follow him much longer. A vicious counterattack east of Helsinki last turn threw back one half of XXV Mech and eliminated the other half, but Orel Front is already back with a vengeance. Finnish I and II Cps are reduced to skeletons and pushed back from the capital towards the north, and X Mech is in the suburbs of Helsinki, even though the city does not yet fall. Further northeast, Finnish III Cps is encircled and Finnish V Cps has already surrendered. Also, in the North, 14th Army has finally taken Petsamo. Time is running out for the Finns. :)
- Western and Baltic Front have entered the Baltic states. (The official casus belli is that a Finnish air wing has taken refuge on an airfield outside Tallinn. :laugh:) 8th Army has taken Narva in the first try, annihilating an Estonian division. The way to Tallinn seems open. In Latvia, the fight was more balanced, though we ended up being successful. In Lithuania, we fared worst, one 3rd Army Cps was evaporated. But these people cannot resist for long. :cool: