Wire hex "extension" and B26.44

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I am playing an animal pack scenario as we speak! Coming soon to an AAR repository near you…(Warning- some mules will get hurt in the making of it. Not suitable for young children).
Unless you are playing at least a 4-player game, your statement doesn't imply that Stewart's above was false.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Unless you are playing at least a 4-player game, your statement doesn't imply that Stewart's above was false.
Do you mean his assertion about only three people having played a scenario with Animal Packs?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Do you mean his assertion about only three people having played a scenario with Animal Packs?
Checked out some info on the Google and mules were used extensively by the US in WWII as is well known. The Mars Task Force even had two elephants for packing supplies. That is something to ponder.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don’t think that Stewart meant his statement to be taken literally. Animal pack scenarios are certainly pretty rare. I just thought that it was funny that he made it at a time when I have an ongoing game using pack mules. What are the odds?

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I don’t think that Stewart meant his statement to be taken literally. Animal pack scenarios are certainly pretty rare. I’m just thought that it was funny that he made it at a time when I have an ongoing game using pack mules.What are the odds?
I don't think so either but it can be hard to tell sometimes.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Voila!

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Does a wall "stop" this VBM penalty from applying to Y2?
From all the posts above including the Cliff elevation stuff it seems COWTRA says wall has nothing to do with applying Wire VBM penalty.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You can not bypass an obstacle on the Hex side of a wire hex without the bog roll. So it would still apply. Remember the rule does not actually saw that the wire is in more than 1 hex.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
You can not bypass an obstacle on the Hex side of a wire hex without the bog roll. So it would still apply. Remember the rule does not actually saw that the wire is in more than 1 hex.
Correct. The Wire is only in Z1 and Y3.
Since you can't drive on the top of a wall or half your wheels on a cliff edge.......................................Wire bog makes no sense in these cases despite lack of clarification in the rules. I'll just house rule this one.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Correct. The Wire is only in Z1 and Y3.
Since you can't drive on the top of a wall or half your wheels on a cliff edge.......................................Wire bog makes no sense in these cases despite lack of clarification in the rules. I'll just house rule this one.
ASL models many, many different effects that can combine in untold combinations, and IMO it does a very good job at that. Yet there'll always be corner cases where logic appears to break down, and which could only be solved by endlessly expanding verbiage.

You could house rule these cases when you spot them, which is fine if both players agree, but it's a slippery slope. The other alternative, though, is to shrug and say, "Hey, that's what the rules say. We both realize this seems a little wonky, but the rule is clear and playable, so we'll go with it as written."

And maybe it's possible that the wire-layers saw past the stone wall too, and even spotted some gaps in the wall, and--not being constrained by hex gridlines--merely extended the wire all the way to the house, "just to be safe". (Or maybe, when the lieutenant wasn't looking, they just tossed the leftover wire over the wall and left it lying there, unseen in the tall grass where, coincidentally, it might tangle in any passing treads.)

Last edited:

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Does a wall "stop" this VBM penalty from applying to Y2?
From all the posts above including the Cliff elevation stuff it seems COWTRA says wall has nothing to do with applying Wire VBM penalty.
View attachment 28182
I would say No.
Infantry can't Bypass Y2 whatsoever.
A4.3 Hexes containing rubble or Wire cannot be Bypassed. A hexside forming a part of a Wire Location, or covered by a Water Obstacle (24L9-M9), may not be Bypassed (B26.44) on either side of the hexside

VBM would still have to make a bog check regardless of the wall.
26.44 BYPASS: Non-vehicular Bypass of any hexside that is part of a hex containing Wire is not allowed. VBM is allowed but still requires expenditure of the Wire MP penalty and a Bog Check, although these penalties apply only once per hex (in the first hexside Bypassed)—not per hexside traversed

I can buy wire over the wall / hedge hexside. But a cliff? There seems to be no exception for a cliff. but those instances are not frequent. Just call it "Highly motivated Combat Engineers" wiring the cliff. That would definitely come into play when using SSR mountain goats as animal packs...

But that's a huge part of the fun of ASL. All these oddities that happen.

Last edited: