Wii: the life of the party

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am back from my family party, and it was quite an interesting time. I went there with Wii in hand, hooked the baby up, and showed it off to the entire family. Uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, you name it. I left the party with 4 checks….4 checks for me to pick up 4 Wii units at the Toys ‘R’ Us launch party this Saturday night. It was a HUGE hit…and everyone figured out how to play within minutes. Wii Sports was the most played, but Excite Truck had its time as well. We took pictures and videos of everyone trying it out, and I will post those up just before I head to bed (around 5 am EST).

It was great to see everyone taking to the Wii so easily. Out of the 4 familes that gave me a check, 3 of them weren’t gamers beforehand.
That's kind of amazing when you think about it. $250 (probably more with a game) is a good chunk of cash to hand over on a whim, so they REALLY must've liked it, especially if they weren't gamers.

GoNintendo

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I find a few things funny about this.

1. Toys R Us will only be allowing one unit per customer

2. Where did he get his Wii?

3. Why did they not just pick it up theirself?

4. Lack of Detail

It sounds almost as if he is trying to convince himself with a lethargic story. Why did they like it? What did they find fun? Who found what fun?

He just said "people played and gave me money"

Well if it were that easy...the kiosks will sell alot of units...however thats not neccessarily the case.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. Maybe he has connections? Hell if I know, but I'd think he'd realize this, what with him owning a Nintendo-centric blog.

2. He's the founder of GoNintendo.com, which is a fairly well-known blog for all things Nintendo.

3. Laziness? Hell if I know...

4. He said he'll post more later. Right now the guy probably just got back from the party and updating to tell us how it went (he posted earlier speaking of his plans to bring the Wii along) and didn't want to write out a long post when there'll be videos and such later.

Obviously something had to have gone right, or else they wouldn't have decided to buy the Wii, which as I said is a decently large investment. They had to have enjoyed the thing just a little to decide to go and buy one.

DarkSora

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dr. Winston O'Boogie said:
That's kind of amazing when you think about it. $250 (probably more with a game) is a good chunk of cash to hand over on a whim, so they REALLY must've liked it, especially if they weren't gamers.
or they're probably rich :p

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read GoNintendo alot.....and alot of the time his posts increase my doubt in some of his stories. He owns a blog but he is a gamer. He is no different then you or I opening a blog that can easily be done.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's what blogs are though...not really much different than other well-known gaming blogs like Kotaku or whoever. Nintendo felt he was important enough to send him a console.

And since you asked, here's his long post detailing exactly what went on, with pictures, videos, and everything you'd ever want. Looks like they had a lot of fun.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok...I hate to point out that those pictures are moving to prove the Wii is for children. 6 kids...and one guy who looks like he belongs with ZZ Top. A few old people...nobody my age bracket...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wii is for everyone, so that INCLUDES 6 year old kids.. And whats wrong with kids playing, has something happened in your childhood that wants to make you ruin everyone else's? :p

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I suppose its something you won't understand until your my age. Picture what you would think if one of your friends watched Sesame Street still?

So in my case...being well older then you...most games for Nintendo are too childish and barely scratch interest on my part. Why should I bother with something that doesn't require any use of my adult mind but only something that barely scratches creativity to a 6 year old?

Not to mention...there aren't many things a 6 year old can do better then myself...video games included...if they can play that game....then it would be no challenge for myself.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And he's also pointing out that Wii is aimed for kids, when its aimed for everyone.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If its aimed for everyone...why am I...an adult...having a hard time finding a large amount of games that are made for my liking. Being a gamer and all...and growing up with Nintendo...they already have their foot in the door. They have Zelda, Trauma Center and Metroid....those are my only interests that don't fall into the second grader category.

Sounds like you caught the fanboy?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was a family party....not some kegger at a frathouse.

3/4's of the people playing in the video were adults, at least. And so what, I'd bet $10 if you took a PS3 to that same party all the same kids would be playing it.

Andymac

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ehandlr said:
If its aimed for everyone...why am I...an adult...having a hard time finding a large amount of games that are made for my liking. Being a gamer and all...and growing up with Nintendo...they already have their foot in the door. They have Zelda, Trauma Center and Metroid....those are my only interests that don't fall into the second grader category.

Sounds like you caught the fanboy?

Ditto. Nuf said lol

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dr. Boogie..not even half were adults.....definetly not 3/4's. According to the pictures anyways. In the pictures only 2 adults were playing while others watched. One adult (and excuse me for mading an open judgement because its not really my style) didn't look all that mature to me.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In 2 videos, there are four people total, playing. In one video it's a boy and an adult, and in the second, there are two adults. Therefore, out of the four people playing, 3/4's are kids.

Have you ever been to a family party? There are usually tons more kids running around the place than adults anyway, they weren't magically conjured out of thin air once the Wii was brought out.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Out of all the people playing and all the people who played with pictures not taken...how many do you think are going to end up with a Wii that supposably put the money down right there cold hard cash?

I'm willing to be that 3 of the Wii's that were bought (if they were bought) were bought for the 6+ kids running around.

Scottay

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Meh I don't really care what age group a game is aimed at or whether it uses my full intelligence. If I enjoy playing it that's all that really counts. Although I see what you're saying. Most Wii games seem to be aimed at non-gamers,(both adults and kids) who are looking for a simpler experience. I still think Zelda is good enough reason to buy one. Now anyways Wii is definately the ultimate party console.

Moltar

Reaction score
Country
ll
Im unsure about a review written on the wii by a man who owns a site called "go-nintendo."

Seems like hes a fanatic. For now I wont trust that review. But I look foward to seeing others.