What your ASL dollars can buy.....

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was sad to see Eastside Gamers stop publishing their Dezign Paks but it was good to hear they'd be able to play for fun a lot more instead of having to grind out their annual Pak, which was obviously a labor of love. So I'm sure we appreciate the current TPPs who continue to provide us quality content in between the official publications.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
One that came to mind was the relative purchasing power of the player today as opposed to 1990. A forty dollar purchase today probably has less impact on the wallet for most players than a twenty dollar one thirty years ago. Just speculation but something to take into account when looking at value.
This is my first explanation. I started playing in the early 90s; back then, getting the rulebook, Beyond Valor and Paratroopers took up most of my available "freely spent" money for more than a month. These days, I'd say the last time I took the time to decide whether I wanted to spend a significant amount of money on some hobby was when I ordered my 3D printer - for more than 800 Euros.

Of course I can't speak for all ASL player out there, but my guess would be that a significant number of us were in our teens or twenties in the 80s and 90s, and that in the 30 or so years since, we've lost some of our hair and eyesight, and gained some weight and available income.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
This is my first explanation. I started playing in the early 90s; back then, getting the rulebook, Beyond Valor and Paratroopers took up most of my available "freely spent" money for more than a month. These days, I'd say the last time I took the time to decide whether I wanted to spend a significant amount of money on some hobby was when I ordered my 3D printer - for more than 800 Euros.

Of course I can't speak for all ASL player out there, but my guess would be that a significant number of us were in our teens or twenties in the 80s and 90s, and that in the 30 or so years since, we've lost some of our hair and eyesight, and gained some weight and available income.
Very well put. I think that even though a buck went further wbitd the players then had less of them. I know I did.

Did we value the ASL we had because we had less disposable income and ASL took a big chunk of that? Or did we value it more because there was less ASL?

ASL will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ASL. 😉😉🤣🤣

Btw I really didn't spend much on ASL. More on SL actually.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Wow, you are in the minority by spending more on SL than ASL, there has been a LOT published for ASL in the past 20 years...

I could have travelled more but am happy with all the $ I spent on ASL over the years, my hobby time is often amongst my best times.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Wow, you are in the minority by spending more on SL than ASL, there has been a LOT published for ASL in the past 20 years...

I could have travelled more but am happy with all the $ I spent on ASL over the years, my hobby time is often amongst my best times.
Lol sort of misleading on my part. I got the ASLRB and BV at a discount for playtesting. Then I won the Games for Life contest in The General. So I didn't really spend much on ASL.🤗