What is next for SES?

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I wonder how a fleet of that era would be handled... things are very different there, and it would certainly make for a very different feel as well. The weather would have a much larger impact, for one, and I try imagining all the fuss to think of when it comes to realistically simulating sailing ships of this time, particularly the square-rigged ships of this era. The battles would be very different as well, from the epee-style fighting of frigates and sloops to the monumental slugout when the battle lines meet.

Lempereur1

Kapellmeister
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have always had a soft for that old movie "Sink the Bismark". It also ties in with Avalon Hill's board game about the hunt for the Bismark.

Air units would be minimized to search planes and topedo planes.

But one thing is for sure, the continuation of the WWI-Jutland version of this engine will continue as long as we can at least break even and feed Bulletheads pet Wolf.:)

Did I mention Bullhead has a pet wolf?

The guys who have down the recent Ironclads game did an excellent job, even if the graphics were not the latest and greatest. It is hard to do that kind of game and make it fun. They managed to do it.

IT is also hard to make the AI think inside of a box. (Harbor)

We have all kinds of ideas!:nuts:

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did I mention Bullhead has a pet wolf?
That's not quite correct. I used to have a pet wolf. Today, the only pet wolf I know of belongs to a guy who lives across my back pasture fence. That critter gets loose occasionally and drops by for a visit.

kotori87

Reaction score
I know quite a few people have been expressing interest in an Age of Sail game, but others have commented on the number of games in that genre already. So how about a genre that hasn't been done at all yet? How about a game set in the Honorverse? Now there's a game I'd love to see.

HReardon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm not actually interested in in Science Fiction games - well "Ogre" was a hoot 20 years ago. On the other hand, David Drake's "Seas of Venus" fits the current engine perfectly.

Basically WWII vintage surface ships duking it out without air cover in island archipeligos. Sort of War Plan Orange on the wrong planet with the wrong environment (1940's water covered Venus). Drake's way of eliminating aircraft and missles was to arm the surface ships with railguns that would make aircraft untenable. I'm not sure why the railguns weren't effective against incoming artillery though. Probably because the conceit would not work otherwise. :)

FWIW, I find Jim's shoot from the hip approach to public relations refreshing. I have had enough of corporate-think and mealy-mouthed politics to last me a lifetime. Those who call it as they see it, and stand for no BS are far too rare nowadays. Of course, I hope I never get him pissed at me -LOL.

"There are two kinds of people in the world - those who kick ass and take names, and those who kiss ass and drop names."

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the other hand, David Drake's "Seas of Venus" fits the current engine perfectly.
Well, we'd have to introduce a wide array of huge, mutant sea monsters that would pop up randomly and intervene in battles ;).

Ah Drake, one of my favorite authors. I feel like I served with most of his crazier characters :).

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing is for sure....

For three years now, starting before we released Distant GUns, a group of people have gone out of there way to trash both myself and Norm, our games, making outrageous claims and slanders about us on the usent, (they never post them anywhere thier real ID can be traced), they come here and bug the sh_t out of us, making god like claims about how our games are trash, they will never buy ouir games becasue of our DRM etc.

There are legitimate people who do not like our DRM. They state thier reasons and leave. No Problem.

But then there is that group again, who have cut and pasted out of context, items from here, again out on the usenet (never anywhere they can be traced), and then proceed to go around to the other forums, postingf links to posts out on the usenet. Real manly like...:clown:

On thing is for sure, Norm and I have come to the conclusion that someone is going out of thier way to try and trash SES, me and our future.

Let us examine why.

Is there a Development team that is afraid that we will push them off the top of the hill? No problem, it may have something to do with how well Norm and I did with Talonsoft.

But which team?

If we were to decide to do a WWII submarine simulator, one good 6 to 8 month push, an upgrade to the water, a move to 300k polygon models, and whock...! The onyl thing they have on use right now are higher polygon models and better water. They can only manage to put 6 or 8 ships in the frame at one time. We could push the king of the Submarine sims of the top of the heap.... Hmmm..... Not only would you be able to be the Uboat commander, you could play all the navies as well! ..:crosseye:

What about a major WWII Naval version of our Jutalnd engine. WIth an 8 or 10 month push, we could deliver a game about REAL WWII Naval tactics with 300k Polygon ships that others only deliver in thier great cut scenes....Hmmm.... Bismark?:stirthepot:

If we put our mind to it, another group of 300k polygon models and we could be chasing Gunboats in every harbor and fort up and down the east coast....Ahh....:p

Maybe we could go for an Age of Sail 3? oh thats right, I cant call it that anymore.... Wow you should see the 350k polygon prototype!:bandit:

In 6 months we could deliver a totally new Operational level land game, but we have done that twice already.:horse:

Are they just frustrated wantabees that cant seem to get thier project off the ground? Pirates pissed off becasue they cant crack our DRM?

One thing is for sure, someone does not want us around. :clown:
You cannot seriously believe that the DRM bashers are actually competitors, or payed for by competitors.

Please tell me you were joking.

And what's with the developer drawing a "what's next" thread to political topics like this?

Akos

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
What about making a forum Poll about this, probably it would show you guys what's the most demanded.

BTW let me congratulate for your job on Jutland, after 3 month of play I still can'T cease to be amazed at it. It's really really awesome.

BTW I'd prefer a War Plan Orange with all the big brutal "Washington CHerrytrees" in it :D, it would easily fit your Jutland engine I guess, so it "just" needs the new 3d models and weapon/shiop data...