What do you think of MMP's stewardship of ASL so far?

What do you think of MMP's handling of ASL so far?

  • They are doing a fantastic job!

    Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Not perfect, but they're doing very well

    Votes: 42 29.6%
  • Good. Better than I thought they would

    Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I'm content with the job they're doing

    Votes: 32 22.5%
  • They're doing a mediocre job

    Votes: 30 21.1%
  • Not terrible, but I wish they were doing a lot better

    Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Terrible. I'm very disappointed so far

    Votes: 5 3.5%

  • Total voters
    142

Priest

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2003
Messages
2,132
Reaction score
4
Location
Denver, Colorado
I agree Chris that MMP's financial situation isn't the same that AH enjoyed. However, the ASLRB and BV are the portal games to ASL, without them people who might be interested in playing ASL are just SOL. If they can't find these elsewhere they may lose interest in the game before MMP can reprint them. Perhaps MMP should start expolring cheaper methods, such as paperback copies. I have one of the older loose leaf notebook types and quite frankly sometimes I find it to be just to large. There are a lot of times that I wish that it was a bit smaller and easier to handle, one that I could carry with me and read on the bus.
 

Priest

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2003
Messages
2,132
Reaction score
4
Location
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the link priest, actually I was thinking about binding each chapter in a separate folder to make the rulebook a little easier to handle.
 

Chris Milne

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
675
Reaction score
3
Location
Letchworth, UK
Country
ll
Priest said:
There are a lot of times that I wish that it was a bit smaller and easier to handle, one that I could carry with me and read on the bus.
Hey! You've given me an idea...
How about an eASLRB? :cheeky:

Seriously, I think MMP would agree with everything you say...
And the ASLRB should be reprinted soon, at least.
 

Johnny Canuck

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2003
Messages
967
Reaction score
1
Location
Vancouver, BC
Country
llCanada
I had a pretty tough time getting into ASL earlier this year. Being new to board gaming didn't help (err, we did have Risk at home).

First I got a couple of Squad Leader modules (as I didn't know what I wanted) on EBay.

Then someone sold me an ASLRBv1 for a good price, and I later got BVv2 on Ebay, but sold my kids into servitude to get it. Have since obtained a few other modules, but I'm still trying to get a hold of an ASLRBv2.

In conclusion, it would be very nice to be able to easily obtain the rules and introductory material (complete with required maps) without having to resort to Ebay.
 

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Joined
May 1, 2001
Messages
8,903
Reaction score
518
Location
The Forbidden Zone
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well, MMP is aware of the problem and I understand that they are working to correct it. In the mean time, you did manage to get the basic ASL material you need to play and that's a good thing. The more ASL players we have the better.
 

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Joined
May 1, 2001
Messages
8,903
Reaction score
518
Location
The Forbidden Zone
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
There are certainly a lot more players out there using the original ASLRB than there are using the 2nd edition. I don't have a 2nd edition yet either, but I did recently buy one and I should have it any day now. I wouldn't worry about which rule book you have too much.

The modules are the important part. Yanks, Beyond Valor and West of Alamein are probably the most important ones. Beyond Valor is probably the most important module of that group.

I've seen some really good deals on ebay from time to time. Sometimes the bidding does go a little high, but that is usually on modules that are in mint condition with unpunched counters. If you're willing to accept a somewhat used component you can probably find what you want at very reasonable prices. The exception to that is West of Alamein and some of the ASL Annuals. These are out of print and always seem to fetch a high price on ebay.
 

da priest

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2003
Messages
2,783
Reaction score
10
Location
Lebanon, Mo., turn r
Priest said:
@ Andrew
You can use ASLRBv1, all ASLRBv2 is ASLRBv1 + errata.
Not really--Wall Advantage/Human Wave for instance---but the basics are all there.......and "someone" might get ya the new WA and HW stuff--- :crosseye:
 

Priest

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2003
Messages
2,132
Reaction score
4
Location
Denver, Colorado
da priest said:
Not really--Wall Advantage/Human Wave for instance---but the basics are all there.......and "someone" might get ya the new WA and HW stuff--- :crosseye:
You may be correct, when I bought my v2 MMP gave me the impression that they were just rewriting the ASLRB to include the erreta that had appeared over the years.
 

VW

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Location
EU
Priest said:
You may be correct, when I bought my v2 MMP gave me the impression that they were just rewriting the ASLRB to include the erreta that had appeared over the years.
There is an analysis of the V2 rulebook posted at this website:

http://www.uni.edu/~licari/ASLRBv2.html

There are some differences besides errata. "Fake DR/dr, e.g., for non-existent A-T mines, or for unnecessary Reliability DR, are NA, whether secret or not."
 

Johnny Canuck

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2003
Messages
967
Reaction score
1
Location
Vancouver, BC
Country
llCanada
Priest said:
@ Andrew
You can use ASLRBv1, all ASLRBv2 is ASLRBv1 + errata.
I thought I could, but trying to piece it all together appears to be well over my head.

For instance, apparently I do not have an OBA flowchart (I read about it somewhere). Can I find this OBA flowchart in the errata in MMP's errata page? Unfortunately, I can't.

If I knew how to apply the errata to my ASLRBv1, I'd be somewhat less antsy about getting ASLRBv2 prior to the reprint.
 
Last edited:

Priest

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2003
Messages
2,132
Reaction score
4
Location
Denver, Colorado
Andrew Tuline said:
I thought I could, but trying to piece it all together appears to be well over my head.

For instance, apparently I do not have an OBA flowchart (I read about it somewhere). Can I find this OBA flowchart in the errata in MMP's errata page? Unfortunately, I can't.

If I knew how to apply the errata to my ASLRBv1, I'd be somewhat less antsy about getting ASLRBv2 prior to the reprint.
Sorry about that Andrew, when I bought my ASLRBv2 I was under the impression that all MMP was doing was adding the errata to ASLRBv1. DA priest set me straight on that, all I can tell you is to ask da priest he seems to know quit a bit about this subject. Again sorry.
 

Johnny Canuck

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2003
Messages
967
Reaction score
1
Location
Vancouver, BC
Country
llCanada
Priest said:
Sorry about that Andrew, when I bought my ASLRBv2 I was under the impression that all MMP was doing was adding the errata to ASLRBv1. DA priest set me straight on that, all I can tell you is to ask da priest he seems to know quit a bit about this subject. Again sorry.
No problemo.

:)

I'm looking forward to the day that I'm comfortable enough with the rules to be able to start reading the journals and ASL-ML postings without it all going over my head.

EDIT: I've currently got 2 PBEM games on the go, ASL11, and ASL12.
 
Last edited:

ToxicShock

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
350
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Country
llCanada
Andrew Tuline said:
I'm looking forward to the day that I'm comfortable enough with the rules to be able to start reading the journals and ASL-ML postings without it all going over my head.
You will be surprised at how fast that day will come. :devil:
 

Chris Milne

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
675
Reaction score
3
Location
Letchworth, UK
Country
ll
ToxicShock said:
You will be surprised at how fast that day will come.
Too right. I started up a pbem game with a newbie at the end of 2002 (he was also playing ftf now and then), and by June he was happily into PTO. His improvement was noticeable during the pbem game.

The best thing you can do is get playing as often as possible!
 

da priest

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2003
Messages
2,783
Reaction score
10
Location
Lebanon, Mo., turn r
Chris Milne said:
The best thing you can do is get playing as often as possible!
Agree with this.

Don't be afraid to lose--cause you always will to somebody, the loses just keep getting to be a lower percent. :D
 
Top