Wadi Crest Rear

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
What is the difference between VehCrestHD and VehCrestHDRear?

F5.42 clearly explains how to gain Crest Status and when to place regular or rear counters.

However, what is the impact on game play between the 2 counters? I can't see any firing or movement or any rules difference in either Crest Status once the counter is placed.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Isn't it show at which vertex the vehicle is at "crest status" at - front or rear....?

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're right it makes no difference to firing or LOS. The impact appears when you go to move the vehicle further, F5.422 and its examples. The 'front' or 'rear' is telling you which side of the wadi your vehicle is on, sort of.

A vehicle IN a Wadi spends 5MP to gain VehCrestHD status. Later it wants to continue forward, out of the Wadi to one of the two hexes in its VCA. It does not have to spend the 4MP for gaining a level, just the cost of the new hex. Since a vehicle in Crest cannot change VCA, it would first have to leave crest status by reversing INTO the Wadi in its current hex.

A vehicle with VehCrestHD(rear) wants to continue moving. It can reverse to one of the two hexes in its rear VCA, and won't have to pay the 4MP for gaining a level. The only other movement option it has is to move INTO the Wadi in its current hex.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
You're right it makes no difference ...................
Holy cow. What you are saying makes sense. I will play it that way. Thanks.

I would NEVER figure that out just reading the rules.
F5.42 describes attaining crest front or rear.
F4.422 describes leaving crest from CAFP.
Leave it to the reader to figure out the implied relationship between those 2 paragraphs. CAFP being the key.

Neal

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're welcome. The only reason I know that so well is that I'm playing a desert scenario with wadis and my opponent and I did deep dives into the wadi crest rules recently. Matt Romney's "Vernacular Chapter F" doesn't address the exiting part of wadis, just the gaining HD part. I think the rules say it's good to think of the vehicle being at the front or rear CAFP to picture where it is relative to the wadi, but that it's still at the hex center dot for all LOS purposes.