VotG Perimeter and Control Questions

rpjrim

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently kicked off VotG CG 4 as the Germans. It's the start of turn 6 of 14D, and I've got a wide open field in front of me between rows 20-30, and can reach the Volga with some of my most forward scouts.

I'm somewhat confused by the perimeter determination rules, and the impact of the resulting classification of areas on the following day's setup.

If I understand correctly, each side can draw a perimeter line to encompass as large an area as possible, connecting strategic locations that they control and/or MMCs along either hex rows or alternate hex rows. These perimeter lines can cross enemy perimeter lines as long as they don't run into an enemy controlled strategic location and/or MMC. That seems to enable some very long potential perimeter lines between units. As an example, it appears that if there's a German unit in Y1 and one in KK19, it would be possible to create a perimeter line between them. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

My broad question is - should I focus more on tagging Russian controlled hexes, or should I drive to do a grand encirclement of much of the Russian OB (thus isolating them)

Suppose I could create perimeters at the end of 14D that look like the attached picture (ignore the units) (I'm not concerned about the exact accuracy of the perimeters, more the concept). In this figure, the Russian perimeter is represented by the black line, and the German perimeter is represented by the blue/yellow line. (If this perimeter isn't quite valid, imagine a similar German perimeter that goes down the AA hexrow.)

Not counting the small areas of no-mans land, this would create three primary areas (assume no other pockets, etc. exist):

Area 1: Only within the German perimeter (Example would be K23). In this area, all hexes would convert to German control.
Area 2: Only within the Russian perimeter (Example would be S45). In this area, all hexes would stay/revert to Russian control.
Area 3: Contained within both perimeters (Example would be X20). This would be one large isolated area, with some German controlled hexes and some Russian controlled hexes. Most hexes in this area are Russian controlled. Assume that there are both German and Russian units in this area.

My primary questions focus on Area 3 -

Are all Russian/German units in Area 3 isolated for 14N? If so, they are under ammunition shortage and have to set up per V12.6262?
No additional units from either side can set up in Area 3 for the 14N scenario?
Hex control in area 3 is unchanged - German controlled hexes remain German, and Russian controlled hexes remain Russian?

This strategy would seem to constrain Russian 14N setup considerably, at the cost of isolating some of my scouts

Attachments

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I would say you have all the rules correct. There can indeed be very long perimeter sections (theoretically even 49 hexes C2 - C50, I think). However, it would be dangerous for the Germans to rely on such sections. The Russians move last, they know when the 14D scenario ends, so they can step out into the street in the last advance phase to break up such long sections.