VASL LOS and Overlays

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Regarding the above - it seems a LOS traced from , into or through an overlay is bringing up a message "LOS disabled due to proximity of overlay" ( or words to that effect ).

Is there a way to get round this please ?

TIA

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Applying the rules by oneself, I am afraid.
The LOS doesn't work on HASL maps either.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Regarding the above - it seems a LOS traced from , into or through an overlay is bringing up a message "LOS disabled due to proximity of overlay" ( or words to that effect ).

Is there a way to get round this please ?

TIA
No.

It is a step forward that it is telling you why the LOS engine is not working correctly instead of just letting you figure out it is wrong.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
LOS now works for almost all traditional overlays except buildings and rice paddies.

What VASL / VASSAL versions are you using and which overlay is triggering the message?

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
LOS now works for almost all traditional overlays except buildings and rice paddies.

What VASL / VASSAL versions are you using and which overlay is triggering the message?
VASL 6.6.7 , VASSAL 3 7.5.....B2 and X27

Fire from X27 through B2

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just tested 667/375 with those two overlays on bd00. Everything works fine, including the levels on X27. I have some, but not all, of the buildings working. . . I was surprised that this one did.

Can you email me the .vsav file where you get the redbox around the overlay and the message that you cited above? I don't know why it would work for me but not you. . . dougerimmer@gmail.com

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I don’t think the overlays from the overlays extension produce the message he saw when drawing the LOS.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
won't be long before you can figure out the los yourself and just use the string for seeing if a los clips an obstacle.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
won't be long before you can figure out the los yourself and just use the string for seeing if a los clips an obstacle.
Same for me.
I hardly put my confidence in the VASL LOS evaluation.
I just use the "string" and figure out if LOS exists or not after my understanding of the rules.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm able to do that on a real board relatively easily, however : being new to VASL I thought I'd like to take advantage of ...technology 😬

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I'm able to do that on a real board relatively easily, however : being new to VASL I thought I'd like to take advantage of ...technology 😬
<shrug> Technology that has been wrong in the past? Your call. It's your game. I'll never take the LOS engine's call without a visual verification.