The Forgotten Battle - Dutch film now on Netflix

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really only know of them in the Normandy campaign and later for being drawn to those spy units and stuff. I’m sure there are plenty of scenarios with them, especially for Normandy.
Yeah, a lot of them (most actually) were from around this area, Minnesota & Northwest Wisconsin though there were also some Norwegian ex-patriots assigned as well. We had two of them in my VFW Post here and heard a couple of good stories from them once they had a few. They never were used in Norway, though that's what they were trained for (just like the 10th Mountain) but did finally get there 0n 22 May 45 to disarm the Germans. They also received much of the commando training from the Brits in Scottland once initially deployed overseas to prepare for raids into Norway, but the U.S. Army had other ideas. Stateside they helped set up much of the training in skiing and set up the camp at Camp Hale near Vail, CO for the 10th though most of their training was at Camp Ripley, MN. They were also at the tip of the campaign to surround Aachen and some action further south in the Hurtgen Forest. They're most memorable fight was doubtless their defense at Lanzerath near Malmedy where they were surrounded for several days inflicting terrible loses upon the Germans of the Special 150th Pz Bde (Special) that attempted to expand the Northern shoulder of the Bulge. As mentioned earlier they were amalgamated with the U.S. (Wayne, they were attached to the U.S. forces after the 1SSF was broken up by European Command and each assigned to their respective National armies) remnants of the 1SSF and the 424th RCT (the remaining Regiment of the 106th Golden Lions Division that had been taken out along the Schnee Eiffel defending St. Vith) and remnants of the 1st 2nd & 5th Ranger Battalions towards the end of the war.

Their Actual designation at the time was the 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate) as they were never officially assigned to a mid-level command but used as European Theater asset and temporarily assigned to Armies or Corps as a separate command. The guys though often referred to themselves as the stepchildren of the U.S. Army.

PS. There would certainly be some interesting scenarios there with their fight against the 150th, both using American equipment and uniforms.

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Could it be this movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2363219/?ref_=ttmi_tt (The Rotterdam Bombing)?

I haven't seen it so I don't know if it includes scenes of Dutch soldiers in a trenchline in the woods. It did came out in 2012 so it might fit your timeline.
I did find this clip being used by some dude for a documentary & this looks like the clip except it was in color & it had Germans in it but they edited them out of the clip. At the end of the fight the Germans swept thru the Dutch defenders & continued on. One of the Dutch was wounded & leaning against a tree & a German knelt down by him & offered him a cigarette before continuing on thru the woods. The full clip was maybe 7-10 minutes long & full color & it was on a website saying that was just a preview of the full movie that was soon to be finished. I kept checking on the site for about 2 years for news of the full feature but nothing ever seemed to come of it & it never appeared on imdb. 🤷‍♂️