The Bad News

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As very few of you will know, my PC died at the end of December. Turns out it was the HD. Much was lost, most of it, I had back-ups of (personal pics, mostly). I took it to a guy that got a lot of my stuff of the HD, but a lot was unrepairable. This included parts of my TOAW directory, including my work on EA 4.

2 years of work has been lost. I wanted to make a big splash with a billion improvements, but that ain`t gonna happen now. What I will be doing now, to prevent losses like this and make the wait shorter, is releasing what I have every few months. So, look for the first version in May! :D
I don`t know what all it will contain, as I`m buying a house real quick and that will, undoubtedly, be keeping me on my toes, but I have a release date now that I`ll have to stick with. :D

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
WOW! That truely sux, dude! You have my sympathies, eh?

*/goes to rummage around for another HD to use for back-ups*

macgregr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sorry to hear that Wyatt! It's scary I know I've had quite a bit of work done and lost on my computer. Take a break. Eventually you'll get back to it better than ever. I'm working on a 2 scenario game designed to encompass EA and Zero Hour, though the navies will be completely re-done with all capital ship classes(CLs, DDs and SSs will be categorized generically). Yes there will be subs, convoys, and even maritime aircraft. I've got the units designed. The plans are all in place, though will require house rules until Ralph can come to the rescue. I could use some help. Right now I can't seem to get either editing program to run on my computer. I have XP. ???

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm sorry to hear that Wyatt! It's scary I know I've had quite a bit of work done and lost on my computer. Take a break. Eventually you'll get back to it better than ever. I'm working on a 2 scenario game designed to encompass EA and Zero Hour, though the navies will be completely re-done with all capital ship classes(CLs, DDs and SSs will be categorized generically). Yes there will be subs, convoys, and even maritime aircraft. I've got the units designed. The plans are all in place, though will require house rules until Ralph can come to the rescue. I could use some help. Right now I can't seem to get either editing program to run on my computer. I have XP. ???
Either editor program being the actual editor and ODD?

macgregr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes. I run XP. ODD crashes immediately now, though there were glitches when at first it ran(all AP strengths were multiplied by 8...strange). Bio-ed has a problem loading exe files. I get missing \graphics.bmp file messages and then can't open the unit categories. I'm still trying. If the uploads haven't been corrupted(Silvain sent me a copy of his own working bio-ed) I have to conclude there's some kind of malware running, or perhaps even anti-malware that's conflicting. I've been cleaning everything up though there are still a few suspicious files in my system32 folder I'm afraid to delete just yet. I'm running Avira, Hijack this, Ad-Aware, and Comodo firewall. Ovguide.com has some nice TV/movie sites, but they're not all safe. I'll have to be more careful. I've been attacked rather viciously, though between the manual scans and the registry/windows cleanings, my computer appears to be running better than ever.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
As very few of you will know, my PC died at the end of December. Turns out it was the HD. Much was lost, most of it, I had back-ups of (personal pics, mostly).
Gee that's a bummer:upset: ... I have started to back up TOAW stuff even online in such things like DROPBOKS, cuz with several "in progress" and "half-a$$ finished" mods around I would be devastated.

Good for you that Frances' pic that blew all of us away is still around here somewhere:smoke:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes. I run XP. ODD crashes immediately now, though there were glitches when at first it ran(all AP strengths were multiplied by 8...strange). Bio-ed has a problem loading exe files. I get missing \graphics.bmp file messages and then can't open the unit categories. I'm still trying. If the uploads haven't been corrupted(Silvain sent me a copy of his own working bio-ed) I have to conclude there's some kind of malware running, or perhaps even anti-malware that's conflicting. I've been cleaning everything up though there are still a few suspicious files in my system32 folder I'm afraid to delete just yet. I'm running Avira, Hijack this, Ad-Aware, and Comodo firewall. Ovguide.com has some nice TV/movie sites, but they're not all safe. I'll have to be more careful. I've been attacked rather viciously, though between the manual scans and the registry/windows cleanings, my computer appears to be running better than ever.
Damn, dude. Wish I had some advise, but mine just work fine, and I'm in no way a computer genius...

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Gee that's a bummer:upset: ... I have started to back up TOAW stuff even online in such things like DROPBOKS, cuz with several "in progress" and "half-a$$ finished" mods around I would be devastated.

Good for you that Frances' pic that blew all of us away is still around here somewhere:smoke:
Pictures were all backed up, thank God.

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Veers,

I was going to mention the three Golden Rules of computer usage:

1. Backup your work always and often.

2. Backup your work always and often.

3. Don't ignore the first two rules.

But then I thought better of it and so I will say nothing... :devious:

Best wishes,
Steve

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Veers,

I was going to mention the three Golden Rules of computer usage:

1. Backup your work always and often.

2. Backup your work always and often.

3. Don't ignore the first two rules.

But then I thought better of it and so I will say nothing... :devious:

Best wishes,
Steve
:laugh::laugh:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
E-MAIL it!

with usual 25 gigs per account...email all important stuff to yourself....even zipped up photos...I should do that.....chit...just mentioning stuff like that can cause HD's to fail./........crappp! I am now expecting a catastrophe....chit!

ah well.....hey all!

bdr.

B-snafu

Reaction score
......as I`m buying a house real quick and that will, undoubtedly, be keeping me on my toes, but I have a release date now that I`ll have to stick with. :D

Sorry to hear 'bout the crash:upset: Was looking forward to EA (was it 4.0?)

Admire your plans to stick to your deadline but after moving into a new house last year I learned it will pull one away from one's hobbies for awhile with all that moving entails so I don't think any of us can reproach you for missing your deadline. (esp. it being a vouluntary effort on your part)