Take-2 is ripping us off

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hundreds of e-mails whenever it goes out of stock?!

So, as JMS pointed out - where in the hell are the patches :(

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
So, it's selling hundreds of copies (and making them a lot of cash) so why the hell will they not support it any more - getting Norm to advance the game etc! As for re issueing the Battleground games, I can just see it
*Boardroom meeting at Take Two*
#Overpaid Executive 1# "I think I know how we can improve our profits"
#Overpaid Executive 2# "How"
#OP1# "Lets just burn a few more copies of this, we don't need to improve it, the fools will buy it anyway.
#OP2# "Good idea, I don't know why we bother to spend all this money on programmers anyway"

Cynical Moi? :cool:

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Well I paid $60 ( incl. postage) for my copy in 2001 direct from them. My contact there was Melissa who was very helpful. I think it was more than worth the price.
Just a word of warning though about how the community approaches this. At the end of the day Take Two hold the cards here so pissing them off does not get us any further down the road re seeing patches, better pricing, better distribution etc.
The way forward is to use every commercial argument to make our case, like 'money talks'. If they are really getting hundreds of e-mails on this we have to convince them they could be instead getting/selling thousands of copies if they apply themselves a bit more this goldmine they are sitting on.
I think that is the way to go.

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, if Take-2 put out an expansion pack where they let Norm go nuts for a few months and give us things like editable weapons database, combat calculation fixes, more events for the scenarios and all the things we're all hoping for, I'd pay 29.99 US for it.

But I don't know if Take-2 would ever support that kind of idea. As well as TOAW may be selling right now, an expansion pack or something similar to have to sell quite well to become profitable. Maybe 10,000+ copies as a slightly educated but mostly wild guess. I have my doubts that TOAW has enough active players.

Last edited:

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Originally posted by MikeJ
Well, if Take-2 put out an expansion pack where they let Norm go nuts for a few months and give us things like editable weapons database, combat calculation fixes, more events for the scenarios and all the things we're all hoping for, I'd pay 29.99 US for it.

But I don't know if Take-2 would ever support that kind of idea. As well as TOAW may be selling right now, an expansion pack or something similar to have to sell quite well to become profitable. Maybe 10,000+ copies as a slightly educated but mostly wild guess. I have my doubts that TOAW has enough active players.
Let's see the financial potential:

I would pay 30$ for a big new patch (or even more).
Come on, let's show how much they would get...

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Arguably, that is a whole new game. Without a perception of the coding requirements it is difficult to put a price into it. However, IMO it couldn't be that difficult since BioEd was put together by an individual, but the main problem is going to be compatibility between players, as playing with the weapon database is going to mean wildly different standards. Better have an updated database.
I'll put up those 30 $

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Im their latest victim

I finally broke down and bought the damn thing for 39.99 :mad:

I feel especially cheated since I dont even care for any of the scenarios prior to 1950

06 Maestro

Reaction score
No CD Patch

Originally posted by a white rabbit
..sorry, 40$ for toaw-acow ?..a gift..the game-miles i've had from mine , now preserved in a very safe place as i use the no-cd patch..,
--------------------
I'm using my cd to it's death. I was not aware that there is a "no cd patch". Where could I get such a wonderful thing?

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
Im their latest victim

I finally broke down and bought the damn thing for 39.99 :mad:

I feel especially cheated since I dont even care for any of the scenarios prior to 1950
..it's not what's on the cd that counts, it's the designer scens available that makes toaw-acow the greatest wargame system on the market..which coincidentally is why i think the price from Take2 is fair..,

..then there's the BioEd..,

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
White Rabbit, by your argument, take two woul get $10 per game and the other $30 would be shared out among the many unpaid designers out there - now that would be fair :D

jaja94mustang

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now I am the latest victim of Take 2. I got my game last Wednesday. Ill give them credit though. They shipped it out very quickly. I ordered it online at 3:00 pm eastern time on Tuesday and recieved it on Wednesday. $56.00 for it coming next day air from UPS. I feel that the price was a bit high but Ive already played the game forprobably over 20 hours in the 1st week. I LOVE this game. I had the TOAW 2 for several years and got interested in it again during Iraqi Freedom. I found this website and couldn't believe that this game had such a following. I drooled over all of the scenarios. But they were all for COW. SO i shelled out the cash and dont regret it one bit.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by jaja94mustang
Now I am the latest victim of Take 2. I got my game last Wednesday. Ill give them credit though. They shipped it out very quickly. I ordered it online at 3:00 pm eastern time on Tuesday and recieved it on Wednesday. $56.00 for it coming next day air from UPS. I feel that the price was a bit high but Ive already played the game forprobably over 20 hours in the 1st week. I LOVE this game. I had the TOAW 2 for several years and got interested in it again during Iraqi Freedom. I found this website and couldn't believe that this game had such a following. I drooled over all of the scenarios. But they were all for COW. SO i shelled out the cash and dont regret it one bit.
Yep. We've all been bitten.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My first copy of TOAW ran me $1,200 because it was the first thing I ever saw that convinced I had a use for a computer beyond E-mail and a fancy Typewriter which a weak 2nd hand 386 did just fine. I bought TOAW Elite I and II the first day I had a comp that would run it which was the day after I played a hot seat with a pal at his place. Then I bought COW a few months later when it came out didn't begrudge it one bit. I wouldn't mind shelling out another $60.00 If they came out with something that was a marginal improvement even though I piss and moan about all the stuff that is done just plain wrong and poorly with the current edition. Now I don't really know for sure but I am guessing that developing something like COW or The CS series (World at War) costs a fraction of developing the average FPS or RTS because of art work alone. Who knows if these games are good sellers they may just wise up and realize that though wargames are a niche market they are a steady niche. I have spent hundres if not thousands over the years on board games that never got played. $60.00 don't sound like a bad deal at all.

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Originally posted by LanceRunolfsson
My first copy of TOAW ran me $1,200 because it was the first thing I ever saw that convinced I had a use for a computer beyond E-mail and a fancy Typewriter which a weak 2nd hand 386 did just fine. .
..more or less ditto..,