Take-2 is ripping us off

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It probably won't do any good, but for anyone interested in trying to make Take-2 aware of the price-gouging they are doing with TOAW:ACOW -- you can send an email to them.

retail@take2store.com is the email I found on their store site.

Just ask them to drop the price to something more reasonable (like US20) instead of US40 for a friggin' jewelcase-only version of the game! That is just crazy!

There are a lot of people out there who throw around the idea of grabbing the ACOW disc, but who is going to pay 40 bucks for a jewelcase game? :argh:

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I would venture that they are not ripping anyone here off since we all have the game, apparently. But I agree that's too pricey for such an old product. The alternative will be having an illegal copy. Anyway, they are shooting themselves on the foot.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by JMS
I would venture that they are not ripping anyone here off since we all have the game, apparently. But I agree that's too pricey for such an old product. The alternative will be having an illegal copy. Anyway, they are shooting themselves on the foot.
Well, my headline was mainly to grab attention to this issue :D

The main people getting ripped off are the newcomers to our hobby and those who have older versions but are getting back into it. After hearing us rave (and bash) the TOAW game system, they inevitably come to the conclusion that they must purchase the latest version of this game to be properly in-tune with the community. Since no one on the planet seems to have the game in stock anymore...all roads lead back to Take-2.

They are either gouging us becuase we are a niche market, or they are just so out of tune with pricing because this game is beneath their radar. I am hoping it is the latter.

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's a copy of ACOW on Ebay right now (along with a bunch of copies of volume 1), here's the link if anybody is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3619531739&category=182

Perhaps we could try to do some good for the gamer community in general, and as a group warfarehq could try to pick up a few copies off ebay and similar sites, and then resell them to people who need copies at cost plus shipping/paypal fees? I think this would be a very cool thing to do to help out newcomers to the hobby...

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Xandamere
There's a copy of ACOW on Ebay right now (along with a bunch of copies of volume 1), here's the link if anybody is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3619531739&category=182

Perhaps we could try to do some good for the gamer community in general, and as a group warfarehq could try to pick up a few copies off ebay and similar sites, and then resell them to people who need copies at cost plus shipping/paypal fees? I think this would be a very cool thing to do to help out newcomers to the hobby...
I actually thought of doing that a while ago...the only problem was I couldn't find any copies. Besides the odd copy popping up on Ebay there is no one place to get them cheap. I have even scoured the local shops to no avail. :cry:

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I just spent some time cruising around online and I only found that one for sale on Ebay. Thing is, I don't think we'd need that many to help supply new players, so picking up the occasional copy on Ebay would be really helpful.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for catching that copy on E-Bay Xandamere. I've got a good friend in the ACWGC that I play on a regular basis that is looking for a copy and I sent him the link to that page. Hope he can grab it. I keep looking every other day or so for a copy there.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
His E-Bay username is tnbloodnguts.....so if you would all be so kind to just let him have it, but then again I'm sure some of you have freinds who would like it also. :D

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
..sorry, 40$ for toaw-acow ?..a gift..the game-miles i've had from mine , now preserved in a very safe place as i use the no-cd patch..,

..cummon guys, it's a classic game system, nothing better on the market and no sign of a replacement..,

..and then there's the BioEd..:)

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
..not expensive..really, work out the cost per playing hour, you'l be amazed how good the value is..just once thru CSV and you're on a winner..,

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is easy for us to look back and justify our purchases of the game...the hours and hours of gameplay have MORE than made up for the price. :thumup:

However, no one is just going to stumble into Take-2 and pay $40 to "try it out". The price needs to drop to reflect the age of the game...and with a more moderate price it will be easier to gain more members to our community. Take-2 is ripping us off by pushing away potential players, friends, and community members. It is one thing that they wanted to just sit on the code and do nothing with the game...but if you are going to do that, at least price it like you don't care.

I am all for paying top dollar for a good game, but my perception is that Take-2 has just overlooked ACOW and has forgotten to drop the price for the past several years. If they actively supported the game, yes it would be worth 40. Since they don't even know it exists...they shouldn't ask that kind of money.

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to present the counterargument to this (from their point of view, I don't really agree with this), but I'm sure what Take 2 is thinking is that since sales of ACOW are so low, but in order to sell it they have to have a web page up for it and still print copies of it, etc...I guess they just don't feel like it's worth it to them to go through the bother of making more ACOW copies if they're only going to sell for $20. They probably feel like if they're going to go through the hassle of continuing to produce a game that doesn't sell very many copies per year, they'll only do it if they can make a good profit off of it. That being said, I still think we could try to convince them to lower the price since they haven't supported or released any updates for TOAW in so long, it's not like pressing a few CD's and putting them in jewel cases really costs them that much.

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I received this response to an email I sent to Take 2:

Mr. McComb

Thank you for your email. Century Of Warfare remains one of our top seller's, believe it or not. We cannot keep this game in stock at times due to the demand for it at any price. World At War is another of our older games that remains a top seller.

I have passed on your suggestion to the VP and would like to thank you again for your input.

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And another response:

It really is a top seller, take it from the woman who manages the
inventory and watch's it fly from the shelves, so to speak ;)

It is amazing how well this game sells, and outsells even the most recent hot new releases. We deeply appreciate all that your group and other's like you have done for this game.

I know that you have maybe thought that since this game has been out for quite some time that we as a company overlook it, but that is so not the case. We get 100's of emails when it sells out asking when we will be getting it back in and emails from people who are willing to pay anything for any type of copy we have, they love it that much!

Again, I am sorry you thought we were trying to gauge you and your fellow wargamer's, please let them know that was not our intention, we really do care about our customer's.

Currently we are working on trying to bring the Battle Ground
Collection back to life as well, because those to have an enormous fan base of people who would love to see them again.

Have a wonderful day!

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
(Scratching his head with a puzzled expression)

So it sells like hotcakes, but they cannot devote anyone to wrap the patches?????

:hmmm: