SP 139 Oder Dare

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played SP 139 'Oder Dare' at ASLOk yesterday. My Russian defenders vs. Stan Jackson's attacking Germans. Germans must cross a little more than a half-board to exit 20 VP (quite a bit, especially since the 4 AFVs count for a lot less than normal.) Germans have a solid infantry force with 6 548s and 6 467s, but only a '2' ELR makes them a bit fragile. 2 hetzers, 2 stugs, all with low ammo. Russians have 3 x 458s, 6 x 447s, two AT guns and good leadership here. Both sides have a plethora of support weapons.

Key events:

I roll 4 HoB's, giving me one berserk, two disruptions and one lousy battle harden.
:mad:
German sniper kills my 9-2 on turn three, before the leader can even do anything. :(

My AT guns were red-hot the entire game, rarely missing rate (even on Covered-Arc change shots), Killed a Hetzer and Stug-- the latter needing a '3' on the TK roll. My MMGs , not so much. :cry:

Stan proved that he is a good player by maneuvering a 247 HS around the far right flank to cut off some rout paths. The damn 9-2/MMG/458 stack could've shot him , but I held my fire all for naught as it turned out.

Last German D-fire, a 4 (+2) shot breaks my last 447/LMG just in place to lay one last FL. Always the stupid little shot that wins the ASL game! This after Adv/AMing into open ground (keeping ? due to ground snow and winter camouflage) for three turns to secure the good position.

We also had the forever-takingest melees, which helped me for a while , but ultimately he was able to pile in more bodies to win the key battle.

Stan exits 23 EVP for the win. He wasn't sure he would be able to do it until
that last (4 +2) shot. I wasn't sure I could stop him. Just the right kind of feel for a tight game.

More importantly, this scenario kind of resembles a design I am working on and wasn't really sure it would be much fun until now.
So, another Schwerpunkt game well recommended.:hurray: