So....

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So....

Anybody have any interesting Chess stories to tell? Anything going on? It's been awful quiet around here.

Of course, I'm partly to blame. :eek: I confess, dear Chess brethren, that I have strayed from the Royal Game into the tempting clutches of Fallout 3 and the Left 4 Dead demo. I think I've put in the largest amount of non-Chess gaming in the last three weeks than I have in a very long time. PC gaming has awoken from its slumber....

Anyway, I'm sure this is just a phase.

I hope....:)

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Partly to blame? Only partly to blame? I lay it all at your feet :)

Um, i bought harpoon, the wargame, last week. ANd thats kinda got me busy at the moment.

I still have 2 games going in the tourny.

Another 2 people, who i have never met before, have challenged me to games (I accepted :)

Sooooo ... thats it for now.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it has done me some good to take a break. I was getting burned out. I even hung a Bishop in one game...haven't done that in a long time. It was a disturbing experience considering I analyzed the position for like 15 minutes!

Since the WCC ended, Chess news has largely dried up. Not much going on again. Even the Chessville Weekly has taken a hiatus the last three weeks!

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I've had two people loose because they ran out of time. In both, i was maybe marginally ahead. But i dont really know if they ran out of time, or if they let time run out because they were loosing.

Anyway, is it ok for me to be winning games like this? Feels a bit hollow, and i really dont know if i would have won either game anyway.

Still, points is points :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's perfectly fine. Chess is very much a game of stamina. The way I look at it, the people who lose on time, lose because they did not have the stamina to win.

A victory is a victory. :)

I got a little chess in today; the Chess bug is starting to bite again. After hanging out on the forums of Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3, I really got sick and tired of the juvenile nonsense that surrounds more mainstream games. If I read one more forum posting in broken English, I'll scream. Half the would-be hotshots playing those games wouldn't last a minute in the world of Chess. :bite:

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Maybe a more unique challenge then ... best of 3 playing chess, advanced squad leader and Harpoon as the decider ...?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always thought a tourney between the chess and ASL forums would be a lot of fun - both communities have a lot in common. The only problem is that our chess ranks are a bit thin compared with the ASL forum.

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always thought a tourney between the chess and ASL forums would be a lot of fun - both communities have a lot in common. The only problem is that our chess ranks are a bit thin compared with the ASL forum.

I play both, although I am not very good at either (that's probably the reason why). Would the ASL guys have to play chess or the chess guys ASL.

I can see the former:

ASL guy: I want to double time my pawn (e4).
Chess guy: Huh? (e5)
ASL guy: My cavalry is going to bypass the building in g2 (Nf3)
Chess guy: What? (Nc6)
ASL guy: My Priest AFV is going to go CE (Bb5)
Chess guy: Umm. . . (Nf6)
ASL guy: Advancing Fire - mgs at your cavalry 4+0 cause I'm point blank [rolls dice - 1,1] 1KIA (BxN)
Chess guy: There's no dice in chess (bxB)

There is probably more I could do but its late.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was good enough. :)

And it would be a chess tourney. In theory, we could create a tourney over at Chess.com and get some chess players from over there to fill out the chess team.