Sniper setup

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but which side sets up their sniper first if both sides enter wholly from off-board (e.g. J88 Escape to Wiltz). No Scenario Attacker/Defender and definition of DEFENDER doesn't apply pre-game. Thanks.

PS: Merry Christmas!

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
The defender see A.13

The attacker is the player turn being played and capable of moving 😊

Merry Christmas

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
My bad.
A.13 is indeed the appropriate reference.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that the player that whose Player Turn is second sets up their sniper counter first, but @Andy Bagley is correct, there's a technicality in the rules that confuses the issue. The rules and ASOP say the "DEFENDER" sets up their sniper first, but since that is part of the pre-game sequence, no Player Turn is being played -- it's not even a Game Turn yet -- so there is no ATTACKER nor DEFENDER. The rules and ASOP probably should have "DEFENDER in the first Player Turn" instead of just "DEFENDER" to be nit-pickingly correct. :)

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
With No Force set up on board. The snipers would probably be placed on second player part of turn one. DEFENDER first. Merry Christmas 🎅🏼

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree that the player that whose Player Turn is second sets up their sniper counter first, but @Andy Bagley is correct, there's a technicality in the rules that confuses the issue. The rules and ASOP say the "DEFENDER" sets up their sniper first, but since that is part of the pre-game sequence, no Player Turn is being played -- it's not even a Game Turn yet -- so there is no ATTACKER nor DEFENDER. The rules and ASOP probably should have "DEFENDER in the first Player Turn" instead of just "DEFENDER" to be nit-pickingly correct. :)
Scott is right - this is exactly the problem I had. I'm happy with the suggested clarification though.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With No Force set up on board. The snipers would probably be placed on second player part of turn one. DEFENDER first. Merry Christmas 🎅🏼
Sniper placement is pre game absent SSR. If I have the defender and the attacker enters from of board, I place my sniper as far away from the entry points. If activated, I want to get the most forward eligible target.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... If I have the defender and the attacker enters from of board, I place my sniper as far away from the entry points. If activated, I want to get the most forward eligible target.
This is likely to result in your sniper picking off the enemy sniper rather than a ground unit, or his sniper picking off your sniper. Of course sometimes this is useful.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the defender SAN is typically higher. An attacker SAN of 2 is not unusual. Knocking out the attacker sniper ... that's a bonus. Taking out the point of the sword or the enemy sniper, all good.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The Attacker is the Player turn.
Whoever, moves first would technically be the "attacker" first, thereby causing the other player to be defender in the first Player Turn.
That sounds reasonable.