SNEAK PREVIEW: Release version AATF DEMO

JamesBailey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Pat. Sounds like AATF is on schedule - that is great to hear! Also, nice air assault tactics primer.

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Pat. Sounds like AATF is on schedule - that is great to hear! Also, nice air assault tactics primer.
Actually, the news is a little better than that. Stand by...:laugh:

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I get a C++ error message after all the intros play. Didn't have any problems with the previous demo.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I get a C++ error message after all the intros play. Didn't have any problems with the previous demo.
Uh oh...

When do you see the error: before seeing the mapconsole page, after the map console page, when the menu opens, or after pressing a button?

Also, what version of IE are you running? DirectX?

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It happens right after the Shrapnel Games/ProSimCo/AATF intro movie series ends. I'm using IE 6+ and DX 9

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is something wrong with the initialization of DirectX. I would ensure that hardware acceleration is turned ON (use the DirectX item from the control panel).

Barring this, I would try downloading and reinstalling. I have downloaded and installed and the zip package and install seems to work fine on several different computers...

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you power down the machine after downloading and installing? It is worth a try if none of the above works.

JamesBailey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It happens right after the Shrapnel Games/ProSimCo/AATF intro movie series ends. I'm using IE 6+ and DX 9
I'm using IE 6.x and DX 9 as well but new BETA demo works fine on my computer. One thing I did was uninstall the old BETA before installing the new BETA. Not sure if this is necessary or not, but the new BETA works fine for me (it appears more stable as well, as I have not had any crashes :cool:).

meade95

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's different in this beta version then the earlier one?

JamesBailey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's different in this beta version then the earlier one?
On the small side, the MG teams have a new symbol.

On the big side, the BMP-3 vic SHURGART-GORDON are much more effective AAA platforms :dead:

That is what I have noticed different.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the small side, the MG teams have a new symbol.

On the big side, the BMP-3 vic SHURGART-GORDON are much more effective AAA platforms :dead:

That is what I have noticed different.
Remember, those are Longbows! Use your stand-off capabilities and live!

Believe it or not, there are about 10 engine changes/fixes and over 30 design/scenario changes!

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Tried again with a fresh d/l and everything seems to work fine. Chalk it up to a fubar first d/l I guess, since I didn't do anything different otherwise. Am /1 now...

Thanks for the extra MG icon and putting the elevation and UTM coords in the mouse-over.

Last edited:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, roger that but I can't seem to effectively spot those BMP's from stand-off range ... was there a spotting model change for the Longbow?
Nothing in particular - a little tip, you have the radars on for all of the Longbows, so now you need to use ALL of your longbows from different directions to ensure you have LOS to the vehicles because terrain DOES effect spotting and resolving positive idea, as it is in real life.

Also be aware that there are different battle plans, so you won't always see the same enemy in the same positions. You have to creep forward and from different directions to ID and destroy the BMPs, but it can be done - you have to be aggressive, but not overly so.

JRTC 2 is one of my favorite, and one of the toughest, scenarios in the whole game!

JamesBailey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JRTC 2 is one of my favorite, and one of the toughest, scenarios in the whole game!
SHURGART-GORDON is certainly a tough nut to crack. OPFOR has got all the latest enemy kit and it is very tough to isolate individual enemy BPs given how tight they are deployed in the LZ.

You have to creep forward and from different directions to ID and destroy the BMPs, but it can be done - you have to be aggressive, but not overly so.
I have been attacking ALAMO by sending 2x longbows from the EAST, 2x from the WEST and 2x right up the gut from the SOUTH. I make sure the longbows attacking from EAST and WEST have LOS onto Artillery Road, so enemy can't reinforce ALAMO (which he tries to, repeatedly!). Nevertheless, it seems tougher to spot enemy BMPs in this version. Its probably just me ... :laugh:

and I agree with you on the need to be aggressive but not overly so. JRTC02 is a perfect example of this fine line... Its an outstanding scenario - kudos to its designer :salute:

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Big changes in the release DEMO are really too numerous to count. A LOT of work happened in the BETA test. The most dramatic thing is that it is a lot more stable. In windowed AND full screen, it plays nice with windows alt-tabbing and such.

Lots of small things have change. All of the weapons are listed for every unit in a scrollable window. Text looks much better at higher resolutions. Lots of small things that add up to a nicer gameplay experience.

Last edited:

JamesBailey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The most dramatic thing is that it is a lot more stable. In windowed AND full screen, it plays nice with windows alt-tabbing and such.
Pat-
I have certainly noticed the improved stability. Not one crash for me in this AATF BETA version vs. perhaps half a dozen in the first one. Great work in a short time period!

So do you guys have an updated time-line to the retail version release?