Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

Hope all is well!

JR asked so here it is……

Well, my buddy Doug and I started the Singling CG today. Let me say that the play testers say the American need to have solid Armor play, well they need almost flawless armor play.

Doug set up his Germans pretty much in a line across the level 1 area of the map. One 5/8 counter was on his extreme left, the American right, another 5/8 counter was in support (more on this later).

As the Americans and using JRs post as a starting point, I decided to spread out (to a point) and use the Shermans in teams, one for fire the other for smoke. I enters about 6 Shemans with rider on the Level 1 area, more to the center of the map (using the WP to cover my advance) and take the buildings in the middle. The rest of the forces I entered along the American left, on level 0, with hopes of making it to the crest line, planning on using OBA smoke to cove the advance there starting turn 2. I was lucky with the WP placement as it landed were I wanted and started my advance. The 5/8 counter on the extreme right ended up being a panther, but missed his shot. Since I had 6 tanks in the are (not bunching up) I felt that this danger could be dealt with. My turn 1 started with a red card for OBA. Oh well I thought, I will be a little behind schedule, but still have time to get the SMOKE down. The advance went well, I used sMs, well to cover infantry advance, etc. I suffered no losses on my turn 1. This is where the good news ends.

At the start of German 1, an OBA CH takes out a Sherman, “good thing I listened to JR and did not bunch up” I thought. Well then the surprise, the 5/8 counter supporting the Panther, ended up being the 2nd Panther. These two swung down the extreme American right using my own WP as cover. One of the SP guns came in support. Though I was able to get motion attempts an even some hits with possible TK’s in “D” fire, I promptly lost two more Shermans to Advance fire.

In my turn 2, I started a mild breeze further clutter in the map with Smoke. OK good for me. OBA (I did get a black card in German 1) which now had to attack the Panters, failed to get a result (missing a possible shock my 1). I swung around a Sherman in support of one of his buddies in hopes of getting a BFF side shot on the SP gun. Alas, though I made it in position, a conscript some how fumbles his way into a hit.

German “D” fire takes out two of the Shermans who had made Motion attempts last turn but were unable to get SM rolls to make the Panther shots harder.

So the middle of the map is riddled with Sherman burning wrecks.

The attack on the American left, Germasn right is going well as I made it up the hill in force, with 7 Shermans in support, but Doug and I both feel the game is lost (we had to stop early, got a late start and a visit from Doug’s wife and kids made gaming time limited). We have not torn it down, but it is unlikely we will continue as we both feel the Panthers can now completely turn the flank on their turn (unless lucky OBA takes on out) and start pounding the other group.

While I am getting killed I am not certain how bad I feel. I used Shermans in teams, kept ones back to fire Smoke, used SMs will to cover my infantry advance, etc. Doug’s Panther gambit while risky was good play as he thought he could use the WP to cover and get into position to really put a hurting on the Shermans (which he did). Neither of us felt I played badly, his dice were better, but not all that great. But we do both feel the Americans have to play almost perfectly. In hind site, I may risk bunching up more, and take more down the American left and only a token force down the middle. Though this is not without risk as OBA could be devastating as well as the hidden AT gun. Not to mention not really knowing where the Panthers are as the Americans enter so either way they will be concealed. Sending the bulk of the Shermans down the left flank is a gambit that might work, but is risky.

Peace

Roger

Last edited: