SASL comments

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Just picked up SASL and was looking over the rules. Very cool. The expanding boards, variable OBs, random events, command and control. I'm liking what I see!

I wonder if any of you guys "override" the dice when the S? counters make moves that just don't seem to make any sense (or if there is a rule that tells you to do that). For example, advancing into OG in front of your squads when an equally useful stone building is right there.

Kudos to the designer. So far looks pretty nice!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I will invoke 'common sense' for the suspect? if their actions seem suicidal out of context to their objective. I try to do so sparingly as it may make sense in certain cases to risk the suicide move (draw D1F, for example).

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Plus, some of these things are inherently accounted for in the ENEMY having so many S? in the mission. ie. to a certain extent, they are given potential superiority of numbers to make up for the fact they are not being played as optimally/intelligently as a human player might make use of the same units.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I tend to not override except in extreme circumstances.

As Reep says, there are often so many S? counters that who knows what is going to come from a DR. Mind you i am new to SASL and have not a huge length of time to back up my 'theory'! :OHNO:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I never override the DRs, because the system opposes a mass of S? against my "quality"...
And letting the ENEMY try actions that seem crazy makes one discover that such "tactics" sometimes succeed!
I use "common sense" when the rules don't seem to cover a given situations.

Where I sometimes re-roll dice, is for the REs - e.g. when the ENEMY already is pounding two 150mm Art strikes and an RE makes two more appear : I am tempted to go for something else... not only because the situation could really be totally unbalanced and boring, but because managing four Art Strikes is a pain in the back.

I'd hesitate more in a CG than in an isolated mission.

I also like to choose the mapboards, because the "Gauss curb" of DRs tend to select the same ones (i.e. around the "7" result) : I usually let the DR choose the precise table, then, either I roll a 12 sided die to even the chances, either I choose among the possibilities.

The rules allow one to add overlays as one desires, to I am just pushing my freedom a little further...