Questions on the Conduct of War in EA

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have just started a game of EA, haven't even started to invade Poland yet, and I had some questions.

First: Eliminated units. As I said, I am just starting EA, so I’m wondering if units eliminated before the fall of Poland (and/or France, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Holland, Yugoslavia, Greece) fail to be withdrawn. Alternately, is it only units that are eliminated and already planned to reconstitute that don’t get withdrawn?

Second: Advantages/disadvantages of taking Norway. Disadvantages: Increased chance of US intervention. Advantages: Increased supply when Narvik taken. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of taking Norway?

Third: Operation Sea Lion. Has anyone ever tried it? If so, what strategies did you use? Was it successful?

Fourth: Rookie question I just thought of as looking through EA in the editor. How do supply units work? Can these be used to supply beach-heads, or...?

Fifth: If anyone has any advice for someone starting out on an EA game, I’m all ears. :)

Bloodstar

Reaction score
Country
llCroatia
Fourth: Rookie question I just thought of as looking through EA in the editor. How do supply units work? Can these be used to supply beach-heads, or...?
I think that supply units help with supply :clown: but don't know specifics, there is radius etc...

About beach heads, look closely at your SEA TRANSPORT size... As I understand it there is a chance that units will be RESUPLIED even if on captured port is not an supply point of yours but look at WEIGHT of the unit to be on par with your SEA TRANSP. point!

I think that that is correct if not then someone will make addendum.

Haug,

Mario

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Veers said:
I have just started a game of EA, haven't even started to invade Poland yet, and I had some questions.

First: Eliminated units. As I said, I am just starting EA, so I’m wondering if units eliminated before the fall of Poland (and/or France, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Holland, Yugoslavia, Greece) fail to be withdrawn. Alternately, is it only units that are eliminated and already planned to reconstitute that don’t get withdrawn?

Most national units are set to be withdrawn when the country surrenders - see the Briefing for how to achieve this. This doesn't apply to some of the United Kingdom units, in particular to the Middle East Command, nor to the NKVD and naval/marine units in the USSR. However, there is a bug in the system that means that units queued to reconstitute when their country surrenders aren't withdrawn, so you may see - for example - Belgians reconstituting even though Brussels has fallen. There usually aren't too many of these; some players like to disband them, or at least 'corral' them in an unimportant hex and leave them. I prefer to think of them as guerillas, or organised units bravely deciding to fight on. They're usually very weak and, depending upon the circumstances, out of supply, so the best thing is to try to get them back to a friendly country that's still in the fight. It's no big deal, and hopefully you'll find yourself concentrating on more important things.

Second: Advantages/disadvantages of taking Norway. Disadvantages: Increased chance of US intervention. Advantages: Increased supply when Narvik taken. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of taking Norway?

If you're going for a 'Sealion', the Norwegian ports will allow the Axis to launch sea assaults along the east coast of Britain against ports that are otherwise inaccessible. Just possible the Axis might want to send units based in northern Norway into the USSR to support the Finns once the Russo-German War begins.

Third: Operation Sea Lion. Has anyone ever tried it? If so, what strategies did you use? Was it successful?

There's a lot of discussion on this topic: try entering 'Sea Lion' or 'Sealion' in the search engine. I think it's Mantis who thinks that, if the Axis can capture a supplied UK port, it's virtually unstoppable, as they can ship in more and more and more units. Not sure that I agree, and it affects the overall political game: it's likely to trigger US intervention far earlier than usual and, worst, it will give the Allied player a Theatre Option to use the USSR to attack Germany, cancelling the latter's 'Barbarossa' bonus.

Supply units just marginally increase supply for a six hex radius - might be handy in swamps, the desert, forests, hills, etc. What they DON'T do is create supply points where none exist; again, you need to look at the Briefing for the location of these, especially the ones that can change hands or support Axis or Allied sea landings.

Fifth: If anyone has any advice for someone starting out on an EA game, I’m all ears. :)
If it's your first game as the Axis I'd suggest just trying to stick to the historical schedule and sequence - you'll still get an interesting game and get a lot of experience. Remember this is a very long scenario: a fatal mistake is to shoot off in all directions at once - Poland, Yugoslavia, Scandinavia, the Low Countries and France from the very start, and bring in the unprepared Italians which spreads the war to the Mediterranean. Unless you foul it up really early (say by failing to defeat the French) the crucial campaign will be the one against the USSR. If you can start it earlier and with more units than the Axis did historically, you'll be doing well.

If you've time, try flicking through any of the threads on this forum that look as though they deal with strategy and tactics - there're a lot of interesting discussions.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Veers said:
Ok, let's wade through them!

Veers said:
How would you lose units before engaging in war? At any rate, virtually all the Germans reconstitute, most of the Russians (save the beginning mechs), most of the Brits (save the beginning units that they start the game with), and none of the French. (Although I *did* have a French navy come back after the fall of France. Reconstitution loop?)

Veers said:
Aside from the supply issues, Norway isn't all that important. It can be skipped with little concern. However, there are some strategic advantages to holding this area. It provides a potential invasion route into Finland when war breaks out with the Reds, and it can tie down serious amounts of Western Allied troops if they try to take it away from you (you can generally hold with far less troops than it takes to actively kick you out). You can also make a reasonable defence with just a few of the garrison divisions (korps?) that the Germans have available.

Veers said:
Here's an area where I can give you some great advice. I've gone through SL a few times now, and have gained some valuable experience. In a test, Dan spanked me pretty hard using the RN to blast any korps that remained adjacent to the ocean. I really can't recall the numbers, but I think he took some ghastly amount of HRS off me in just a few turns... Many thousands, to be sure. If you are the Germans, get away from the beaches! Work your way inland at almost any price.

Sealion is also a very chancey game, as it should be. But if the opportunity (shall we say instead - the proper conditions are met) then Sealion actually favors the Germans. The invasion attempt favors the Brits - for the first 3 turns or so. After that, numerical superiority more than anything else (barring tactical errors) will win the day. The Krauts simply have more units available for this campaign, and if they can hold a stabnle beachhead for a few turns, their manpower will eventually swing the tide. The trick is to live long enough to bring this advantage to bear.

(Twice I have seen beachheads thrown back into the sea within a few turns. OUCH!)

Veers said:
Supply units do not actually provide supply. What they do instead in increase the supply level by one step. Take a look at the supply levels per hex. Notice that the number get smaller as you get farther away from the supply source. What the supply units do is raise the level one step, so that, for example, if you were fighting hot and heavy in the desert, you could bump the resupply levels from 8 to 16 in the off-road hexes, bump the road from 16 to 24, etc. (Numbers are an example, don't hold me to them). Basically, the supply unit is a great little thing to have along when you're fighting in nasty terrain. Also - be aware that having the supply unit adjacent to your units will incur a supply bonus (is it 50% or 33%? 50?) to those units when housekeeping does it's deed.

Veers said:
Yes. Be aggressive, but mind what Mark said - don't take on more than you can handle! But believe me, the Germans can handle alot!

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
First, Steven, Mantis, I must say thank you.

First Q: I was just making sure that i understood the reconstitution bug.
Thanks for your responses, I think I might crack open the scenario in the editor to see exactly which units do not reconstitue...

Second Q: Norway seems more than it is worth. Seems better to just let it be. Unfortuanetly, I hadn't come to that conclution until I failed to capture the damn place, so now it is an active Allied nation, and I can't do anything about it, rats!:)

Third Q: So, Sea Lion seems possible, but a very dangerous threat would be the Russians attacking during this critical time. Although if the Russians attack the Germans, they would switch to war time production sooner, and several units would appear that wouldn't otherwise, correct? I seem o remember reading that in the manual. So, with Uk gone and more German units than would have appeared without the Russians attacking, maybe it is a net gain...

Fourth Q: Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Fifth Q: New fifth Q. Any advice to someone about to embark on the Allied side of things?

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Veers said:
Second Q: Norway seems more than it is worth. Seems better to just let it be. Unfortuanetly, I hadn't come to that conclution until I failed to capture the damn place, so now it is an active Allied nation, and I can't do anything about it, rats!:)
That's not so bad. I know I always like popping Norway from teh Germans when I'm Allied, but the point is, Norway doesn't really matter all that much. And I have to tell you, if I had a dollar for everytime I've looked wistfully at all the Allied units I have stationed in there to keep her safe...

Third Q: So, Sea Lion seems possible, but a very dangerous threat would be the Russians attacking during this critical time. Although if the Russians attack the Germans, they would switch to war time production sooner, and several units would appear that wouldn't otherwise, correct? I seem o remember reading that in the manual. So, with Uk gone and more German units than would have appeared without the Russians attacking, maybe it is a net gain...
If you attempt Sealion, in a handful of turns the Russians will have the chance to declare war on you. They almost certainly will. This denies you the Barbarossa bonus, which is quite substantial. You will recieve a line of forts in the east. You'll also be fighting a two front war, so use the TO only under the proper circumstances. Oh yes - there is also a good chance the US might not take too kindly to your adventures in the UK...

Fourth Q: Thank you for clearing that up for me.
My pleasure!

Fifth Q: New fifth Q. Any advice to someone about to embark on the Allied side of things?
Don't lose the Brits in France. Don't be afriad to ship Frenchies over the oceans if you see a chance (like Norway ;) to raise a bit of hell. Use the Brits in locations where they're more likely to survive an assault. Better to lose the French... Never leave your navies out at sea if you can avoid it. If you must, stay out of range of air. Only defend the 'islands' (Malta, Gibraltar) with units that reconstitute. If your opponent takes the area, and your troops are either destroyed or forced onto the sea road and must be disbanded, it's much more pleasant to know they're coming back in a turn or so...

Defend Egypt aggressively, but don't leave the UK so weak that you invite Sealion. Don't sit too far forward with the Reds (when you're ready to make your lines and wait for the Germans), and concentrate on an elastic defence. You have to be careful to preserve as much of your forces as you can - but that doesn't mean you can't be a bit aggressive if the chance arises. I'm in a game with Viri right now where he's putting some serious damage on my front, just west of Moscow in the first year of his invasion, but that didn't prevent me from making a limited assault in the south and bagging a couple panzer korps last turn. It was worth the chance of getting caught in mobile status (which is what happened, iirc) to nail the few Balkan units and the tanks. Now his offensive in this area has mostly been rendered harmless. He still has a panzer or two around, but with my 5 mechs, I'm not so worried about it now.

Make him *bleed* in France. Pay for every hex! Don't overstack (until you must), and concentrate on defence in depth. When Paris is taken, you lose all the French - so be sure that when that happens, there's nothing left of them anyways! You can aways tell if you've had a good France by looking at how few units you have left just prior to the fall. If you've made him wipe out most of your forces, you probably did a pretty good job (or *really* got caught napping :laugh: )

Take Persia as the Russians. Don't take out Finland, but if you're comfortable trying to fight agains the Finns, a limited winter war (gets you 10000 LRSs, which you need, and an armor unit or two) can be good. Look in the briefing - there is a certain hex (is it the airfield?) that getting to within 3 of will cause the Swedes to join... Well, the briefing is wrong, don't get within *4* hexes of that place. Use manuever to get around as many Finns as you can, and when you must attack a dug-in infantry, use a mech on min losses attack. You keep hitting his infantry like this with just the mech until you dig him out, at which time, you advance and maul him with the Russian hordes...

Last edited:

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Mantis said:
Make him *bleed* in France. Pay for every hex! Don't overstack (until you must), and concentrate on defence in depth. When Paris is taken, you lose all the French - so be sure that when that happens, there's nothing left of them anyways! You can aways tell if you've had a good France by looking at how few units you have left just prior to the fall. If you've made him wipe out most of your forces, you probably did a pretty good job (or *really* got caught napping :laugh: )
But don't expect too much from the frenchies either, in a game vs Mantis I had the perfect french defence, I made him kill every last french unit to take Paris, yet in the end it still seemed as if the germans were just walking over me without really taking notice of my defence attemps ("Lovely countryside, beatiful wine, and look at that sky! Uuups, I just stepped in something. Oh, lookie, a french corps, ah, sorry guys!")

But I thin the germans were toned downed a bit since than (was an earlier version), so maybe the french will be a bit harder to defeat now ;)

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mantis said:
Veers said:
If you attempt Sealion, in a handful of turns the Russians will have the chance to declare war on you. They almost certainly will. This denies you the Barbarossa bonus, which is quite substantial. You will recieve a line of forts in the east. You'll also be fighting a two front war, so use the TO only under the proper circumstances. Oh yes - there is also a good chance the US might not take too kindly to your adventures in the UK...
What are the proper circumstances?

Kraut said:
But don't expect too much from the frenchies either, in a game vs Mantis I had the perfect french defence, I made him kill every last french unit to take Paris, yet in the end it still seemed as if the germans were just walking over me without really taking notice of my defence attemps ("Lovely countryside, beatiful wine, and look at that sky! Uuups, I just stepped in something. Oh, lookie, a french corps, ah, sorry guys!")

But I thin the germans were toned downed a bit since than (was an earlier version), so maybe the french will be a bit harder to defeat now
I'll try not to let the morale kiling loss of the French affect me. :)

As to elastic defence, I have often heard the word, but was not 100% certain of the definition. I see now that it refers to Defence in Depth, of which I knew more about. Also, during my last half-hour of studying, I found this. Those Brits sure knew how to build defences. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_anti-invasion_preparations_of_World_War_II

Also, regarding defences, what are some opinions on extending the Maginot Line?