Platoon Movement Conundrum

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A platoon consisting of 2 tanks and an armored car move around a corner and encounter a trench. The tanks are allowed across with a bog roll but the armored car may not enter the hex. Since the armored car did not declare independent movement at the start of the MPh (D14.23), which is the only time it can voluntarily break off platoon movement, can the two tanks continue on and leave the armored car behind? Or, must they stop since the armored car cannot continue? I have included the picture below. The hex with the trench is expanded and the tank is in the hex with the trench and not in bypass. This is a Blood and Jungle scenario and there is an SSR that mimics RB6 so the trenches connect to the buildings and would prohibit the armored car from bypassing.

Mike

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per D14.21 it looks as if the AC could change VCA if necessary with the other members of the platoon expending MPs to either change VCA (BB5)/in delay or in the case of BB5 enter CC4 (MP allowance dependent of course) as it does so but all members of the platoon must "Be (and remain) adjacent to/in the same hex as another AFV of the same platoon."

NOTE: It looks as if the AFV in BP of CC5 (if he is in BP of CC5) has already violated this principle [EXC: if he is currently IN CC6].

Last edited:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
IMO, D14.2 is pretty clear in that it says the only ways to remove oneself from the Platoon is to be found in D14.22-.23, and I don't see anything there that removes you from your predicament; i.e. the Platoon can move no further, but could change VCA-TCA, sD, etc.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules don't let you voluntarily break up a platoon, so I think you're stuck. As @Eagle4ty wrote, the vehicles have to remain adjacent to/in the same hex, and also in LOS of, at least one other member of the platoon, so you could continue to move the vehicles within those limits, changing VCA, stopping, starting, etc. The earliest you'll be able to break up the platoon would be at the start of your next MPh.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two other possibilities. Units in a platoon don't have to be able to see each other if they are in bypass, so the AC could go around the building the other way (I can't tell if there is enough room around the CC7 building to do so).
Or they could delay a bit, etc. and next turn the AC could split off.

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah Volga that is the conclusion that we came to. EagleIV I am of the same opinion as aloha_brian, I don't know of an exception to the LOS requirement while in bypass. Unfortunately none of the adjacent hexsides to the trench are bypassable by the armored car as the trench, by SSR, connects to the buildings as per the Red Barricades RB6 special rule.

So they all adjusted their covered arcs and stopped. Next turn the two tanks can continue and the armored car can roll for independent movement.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Mike

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
D14.21 second bullet states that LOS is required at the end of each impulse. Where is the exception for LOS while in bypass?
I must have been thinking of something else. It might still be possible to bypass around the other way, but waiting until the next MPh to split up is probably better.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Chapei Chockblock by the looks of it. Played it a couple of weeks ago. Fun scenario. My Japanese AFVs tried to take individual TCs to avoid the extra platoon movement costs and largely failed.