Picking up a training game at Winter Offensive?

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a returning player, basically know the rules but am rusty. I live in DC and was wondering if it was worth going to Winter Offensive to pick up a training game with someone? I went a few years ago with the same plan, but everyone looked really busy doing their own thing, so I ended up just wandering around for awhile and then leaving. I've played once with the Conscripts group (DC-area ASL players) but most of their games are too early for me to make it.

Kind of busy right now, so not sure yet if I can make it, but if I do, which day would be best to go for this kind of game, and how would I go about arranging it? Not sure if I want to just go and wander around like last time...

Anyway, thanks in advance for any tips.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I'm a returning player, basically know the rules but am rusty. I live in DC and was wondering if it was worth going to Winter Offensive to pick up a training game with someone? I went a few years ago with the same plan, but everyone looked really busy doing their own thing, so I ended up just wandering around for awhile and then leaving. I've played once with the Conscripts group (DC-area ASL players) but most of their games are too early for me to make it.

Kind of busy right now, so not sure yet if I can make it, but if I do, which day would be best to go for this kind of game, and how would I go about arranging it? Not sure if I want to just go and wander around like last time...

Anyway, thanks in advance for any tips.
Yes. Go. When you walk in, find Perry (tall guy, beard, probably sitting at the front or wandering around looking at games). Tell him you want a game and I am 100% certain he will work things out for you. Go. Have fun. You won't regret it. While there, ask where the DC Conscripts are. They are a good group of guys who organize monthly get togethers. -- jim

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While there, ask where the DC Conscripts are. They are a good group of guys who organize monthly get togethers. -- jim
Yes, I'm on their list and played with them once, but most of their games start at 8:00 and I can't/won't start that early...

But thanks for the tip! Any idea if it matters which day? For instance, on Sunday would there be more players hanging around after being knocked out of the tourney, or doesn't it really matter?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Any idea if it matters which day? For instance, on Sunday would there be more players hanging around after being knocked out of the tourney, or doesn't it really matter?
Show up. Talk to Perry/Bryan. You are not an afterthought and won't be treated like this. There is always someone waiting to play and willing to help you out.

WRT the 0800 start; I think there is a new meeting place around Springfield where games start around 1000. I am not sure since I did not make that meeting. Send an email to the list and ask what time the one down south starts. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes. Go. When you walk in, find Perry (tall guy, beard, probably sitting at the front or wandering around looking at games). Tell him you want a game and I am 100% certain he will work things out for you. Go. Have fun. You won't regret it. While there, ask where the DC Conscripts are. They are a good group of guys who organize monthly get togethers. -- jim
This is spot on advice from Jim. The WO crew will take care of you, I'm sure of that.

Don't be shy when attending any event. Go, introduce yourself and explain to the TDs what your experience level is. Don't worry about your play or command of the rules. The vast majority of ASL players will be more than happy to help. Meet people, make new friends and have fun!

Good luck and good gunnin to you.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WRT the 0800 start; I think there is a new meeting place around Springfield where games start around 1000. I am not sure since I did not make that meeting. Send an email to the list and ask what time the one down south starts. -- jim
Yeah, I'm on the list and get the time/location for games every month, the game I went to started at 10.

Thanks much for the tips!