"Our dangerous devotion to the Second World War" article

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Article here:

I had never heard of Godwin's law:

"Godwin’s Law – the rule that all online arguments eventually end with someone calling someone else a Nazi – did not arise by accident. "

Which is actually a thing:

Anyone who does not like Lord of the Rings is entitled to his opinion but he's wrong :)

"To many people it is incongruous, even embarrassing, that the 20th century’s bestselling work of fiction is an excessively long, unapologetically archaic and sometimes self-indulgent fairy tale written by a philologist who was a very traditional Catholic, and whose most devoted readers were and remain teenage boys. But even if you share the disdain for JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, there is no gainsaying its cultural importance. "

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
"Godwin’s Law – the rule that all online arguments eventually end with someone calling someone else a Nazi – did not arise by accident. "

Anyone who does not like Lord of the Rings is entitled to his opinion but he's wrong :)
Mae govannon!

All right, I will shorten this.
Sauron would have been a Nazi if he had not lived in another age.

Phew! With this done, I can safely say that I have enjoyed the 'Lord of the Rings' more than any other books and devoted much more time to Tolkien's world than I ever did to ASL.

Namarië,
von Marwitz

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!
I always was and will be with the dwarves.... Which would have fought on side of the allies, of course....or not?!:unsure:

Rasup gamut ai-menu, Khulum.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Durins folk would have been on the Allied side.

Those from Nogrod may have been distracted by shiny necklaces.

A small number fought on Saurons side during the war of the last alliance allegedly.

But Dwarves generally more likeable than elves. I always imagine the latter as preachy vegan types who your girlfriend gets starry eyed over. B%#$rds. Acting all superior. What about the kinslaying hey? Hey? Feanor was a right angel wasn't he. After all the Valar did for you....

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Durins folk would have been on the Allied side.

Those from Nogrod may have been distracted by shiny necklaces.

A small number fought on Saurons side during the war of the last alliance allegedly.

But Dwarves generally more likeable than elves. I always imagine the latter as preachy vegan types who your girlfriend gets starry eyed over. B%#$rds. Acting all superior. What about the kinslaying hey? Hey? Feanor was a right angel wasn't he. After all the Valar did for you....
Ah! Those greedy Dwarves - seven rings, seven times corrupted by their greed! The Firstborn were not acting all superior - they were all superior. And what about Mîm, eh? Who betrayed Turin to Morgoth, the Great Enemy? Who stole the treasures of Nargothrond after Thingol had slain Glaurung? And who cursed those treasures, which eventually led to the murder of Thingol by the greedy Dwarves, who coveted the Silmarili? Surely no angels, but indeed so bad that they were often confused with Orcs. Now set this against Lúthien, closest as ever one can come to an angel...

You may now guess, if I'd side with the Elvenkind or those distorted stumpers.

von Marwitz

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
OMG, it's been so long since I've read Tolkein. Now I'm going to have to dig them out and read them again. Thanks for adding to my reading work load! 🤣

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Third Age,.... in the 60 years between Bilbo's finding the One Ring as things are building towards the War of the Ring.

Late Second Age just as the war against Sauron ramps up would be fun as well.
Threatening times, both of them.

I was mostly around 1640 Third Age, a couple of years after the Great Plague had subsided in 1636. Mostly, I ventured around in what was left of Cardolan around Tharbad and in the Southern Gondor in Bar-en-Ernil close to Dol Amroth.

But I have also ventured as far north as Fornost Erain in the kingdom of Arthdain, into Rhudaur, into the Hithaeglir, Rhovanion, Mirkwood, Anórien, the Entwash delta, and Ithilien.

von Marwitz