OPFOR Challenge update

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
# of Turns?

Don, is the number of turns public knowledge? How many turns are the scenarios?

I think some people may need some more time but I know we do not want to drag this on indefinitely.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Don,

I agree with Norad, I think we are going to have to extend the first round time. There seems to be at least two pairings who have not started yet because of problems. Like Norad, I would not like to see this run and run. I guess that once the first round is over everyone will have sorted out their problems and the remaining rounds should run to time.

Gary

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well guys, I don't know what else to do. I have extended the tournament dates twice in response to problems with DA itself. I have also sent an email to Jim about the current issues but have received no reply. I know some of you sent him stuff as well.

I don't want to give up on the tournament as I know some of you have already put considerable time and effort into it, however, unless Jim fixes this bug I don't see how we can continue. If you have not already done so, please email him and give him a detailed report of what is happening.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Don,

I for one would like to see the tournament continue. I realize this has been very frustrating for the guys that have not yet been able to play turn one, but for those of us that have been luckier and got into the game I feel it would be equally frustrating to have the plug pulled. Although it is a tournament with prizes involved I hope and believe that we are all playing for the fun of it first and foremost.

cheers

Gary

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It may indeed be fun to play through even if scoring issues with the game kills the prizes idea, but I know at least one guy who is losing interest due to the questionable scoring of the game.
I can understand that to. Really any other problem with a game could most likely be over come in a tournament situation except incorrect score calculations!

The only way around this I can think of is to calculate a straight win or lose base on geography. Example: Any blue units past PL Charles results in a blue Victory. If no blue units are past the PL it is a red victory. Kind of simplistic but maybe possible.

Any thoughts?
Do we know for sure that the scoring is off?

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mike,

I made a suggestion in the OPFOR Challenge Error thread, using the objective values as a method of scoring the game. I assume that as no one responded that those who understand the game better than I thought it unsuitable.

Gary

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mumble.

Folks I feel a bit undercommunicated with here.

I asked for background information about the setting of the scenario by mail, and later sent another mail to Gary, no reply. Before I joined Blue we had several misunderstandings in what team I am in and what my status is (which was a pain because it made me miss preparation time between my own vacation and house guests I had lately).

At this time I don't even know who my opponent is.

Together with the scoring bug this doesn't look too promising right now.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What do you mean by background? Did you get the scenario file?
The opponent issue is a bit in the air but I am doing my best to get roll call on my players. Several have had PC problems of one kind or another etc.
I agree this has been a rough road. Sorry :eek:.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Redwolf,

If you check back in this thread you will see from a post on the 12 July that you are drawn against Rebel Roll. I asked Don to send you a copy of the scenario and I also sent you a copy when I saw you are playing the same scenario as me, Northern Watch.

I have not received an e-mail communication from you, I'm not saying you did not send it, just that I did not receive it.

As for communication, there is not much because one of the tournamnent rules is that as a team we do not discuss tactics. We each have to play our scenario unsupported. The only real communications have been to monitor progress and trying to resolve some issues that have cropped up.

All bluefor members should have had an email from me in the last two days requesting an update on progress.

I'm sorry if you feel left out but I can assure you that your contribution to the tournament is both welcome and valued. Please contact Rebel Roll to start your game.

cheers

Gary

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Don,

Just had an e-mail from RedWolf. He has had to pull out of the tournament due to lack of time.

Gary

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Don,

Whats happening with the DA tournament? Do you intend to continue with it and will you be up dating the results as games reports come in?

cheers

Gary

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Okay, the tournament page is updated with the latest info I have, but it's very confused. I have two game reports listed on WARS so far:

Gary Owen vs Hub
Gary vs Hube

This has confused me as two of these people weren't even listed! By chance, are these the same people? If so, how did they end up with two profiles on the Warfare HQ forum? Let me know and I can merge the accounts if that is the case. (I'll need to know which ones to keep).

Redwolf has dropped out, right? And there are no other games listed on WARS so that's the latest info I have, which basically means out of twenty players only two have finished a game? I have sent messages to Jim, but I have not heard anything back about the technical issues we are still having with DA.

Gentlemen, at this point I suggest we scrap this tournament. Nothing like this has ever happened with a tournament I have been involved in, but to some extent it's out of my hands. The bugs are obviously causing some people difficulties with scoring and it's not clear if they are actually affecting gameplay.

I will be happy to continue if that's what people want, but it seems like the majority have either quit or lost interest because of the extended delays and bugs. I say we shelve this one and help Jim get the program fixed. once that is done, we can start up a new one. This tournament was supposed to have some prizes, but I really wouldn't feel right awarding them based on what has happened so far. People might get upset or whatever. Thoughts?

I will be out of town from the 16th-24th, but I will try to check on this if I can get internet access.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I say if we scrap the tourney do not give out the prizes since too many people were unable to play.

I made it to turn 12 then I started getting Run Time out of Memory errors and I can play the scenario although I am still working on this.

Sabre 12 won over esamn. I do not think they reported their game on wars though.

Hube has never been on team opfor to my knowledge. Others I know were close to finishing but I do not know where they are.

Sigh...

Last edited:

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok got turn 11b to run but had graphics glitches during playback. We are back on track..I guess. My issue seems to do with memory not with a bug. My system is barely able to run this scenario. :mad:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I just sent an additional note to Jim. if we can get this problem fixed, there still may be hope of salavaging this tournament.

I'll be on vacation from the 16th-24th, but I will do my best to check the forum if I can get an internet connection. If not, we'll resolve this when I get back.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Don,

I am the only Gary playing on the Bluefor and I am neither of the two Garys you listed. I played my game against Hub.

I for one would like to see the tournament continue if possible. I sent off a bug report to Jim Lunsford about four weeks ago, concerning the score system. I have not heard from him.

cheers

Gary

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Okay guys, please re-send the latest bug reports or whatever to Jim. the more information you give him about what is happening (and on what system you are running), the easier it will be for him to nail down.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Gary said:
Hi Don,

I am the only Gary playing on the Bluefor and I am neither of the two Garys you listed. I played my game against Hub.
Okay, then someone messed up the game reports submitted to WARS.

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Don,

I am pretty sure that I reported my game against HUB correctly. But I am shown on the ladder as having played HUBE. I checked the list of players in the report menu and HUB is listed but HUBE is not. So I am sure that it was HUB's named that I clicked on as my opponent.

cheers

Gary