Null Dice Rools

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Running 3.6.19 / 6.6.6. My opponents see Null dice rolls when I select the IFT, TH, TK dice buttons. I've reinstalled, etc. Still
there.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What is a Null dice roll? Can you show us?

Try 3.7.5 and 6.6.7.

Make sure you and your opponents are using the same versions.

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't have a screen shot. It shows "Null" on the opponents Screen. No dice graphically displayed for that roll, no results seen by them

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Never heard of that before. Are you sure that you are using the same versions? Is this a new game or a game saved in previous versions?

Try having both you and your opponent set your dice colours again. Even if it appears to be set on the drop down, actually click on the list and choose a colour.

Make sure you are both setting the dice colours on the Chat tab in Preferences. It could be that one of you is setting colours for Dice Over the Map, which show differently.

Maybe ask your opponent to to do screen grab.

Plus, upgrade to 6.6.7 and VASSAL3.7.5 as per my previous.

Doug

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've seen a similiar problem where one player has a dust level set and the other doesn't. I don't remember if it said "null" or was just blank.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I use vassal 3.6.15 and 6.6.6 and get the NULL rolls as well on TO HIT, MC etc.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This sounds familiar. Corwin with his versions joins the server and creates the room, loads game etc. Opponent is mismatching versions and joins room and doesn't see any dice when rolling. Opponent updates to same versions as room creator and all is good.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Running 3.6.19 / 6.6.6. My opponents see Null dice rolls when I select the IFT, TH, TK dice buttons. I've reinstalled, etc. Still
there.
Whenever you have any problem, upgrade to the latest versions of VASSAL and Virtual ASL. Often, the bug you are seeing has been fixed.

atomic

Reaction score
First name
Asad
Country
llSweden
Jacob and I are playing a game over VASL and for some reason, where he rolls an IFT, TH or MC, it returns "*null ...". All other dice rolls work. Does anyone have a clue to what is going on? There's nothing in the log.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It is probably due to a version mismatch. It helps when both players are using the same/latest VASL/VASSAL versions.There may be some odd code mismatch when checking for SAN.

atomic

Reaction score
First name
Asad
Country
llSweden
I think we checked that. However, we noticed that although the presentation of the roll was "null" it was registered in the statistics.

atomic

Reaction score
First name
Asad
Country
llSweden
VASSAL 3.7.6 and VASL 6.6.7
We have been able to reproduce the effect by turning on dust settings on one client and not on the other. The third dr seems to mess it all up.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
VASSAL 3.7.6 and VASL 6.6.7
We have been able to reproduce the effect by turning on dust settings on one client and not on the other. The third dr seems to mess it all up.
Yep, that'll do it.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I wonder if this counts a bug. The preference option is working as intended when it is turned on, but people may (will!) forget to turn it off.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I wonder if this counts a bug. The preference option is working as intended when it is turned on, but people may (will!) forget to turn it off.
Yes, it is a bug . . . . even when not online, when I select the Dust icon from the toolbar and then select Special Dust from the Dust dropdown, I then get the null behaviour as described above. Regardless of whether or not the Special Dust Preference is set in Preferences.

I will create an issue on github. I don't see this making the lineup for 668; I think it will be a while as the need to use Special Dust is pretty limited.