Okay, I'm trying to do the same thing. I don't have the cd at home, it's at work. But I did install and play at home before I took it. So far I'm still getting the cd must be in the drive. From the no cd readme.
1) replace the .exes
2) make a folder in your toaw folder called nocd.
3) make an empty text file called TOAWintro.smk (notepad file -save as)
(alternatively copy the smk file from the cd, this wastes 64megs)
4) run regedit, goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TalonSoft\The
Art of War, CW
5) change cd_path to C:\Program Files\TalonSoft\TOAW-CW\nocd\ If
you've used a nondefault path change as appropriate. the end slash is neccesary.
1. I replaced the exe's. 2. This folder is in TOAW folder. 3. Where does this file go? It's in my nocd folder. And does it remain empty or do you copy the smk info from the cd to it? 4.I edited the registry to look like 5.
Still asks for cd. Any thing else?
I can always bring the cd back before I let you guys overrun me.
Update: I went back and got the 2000 nocd patch. Deleted the talonsoft nocd folder I already had. This patch has a vb script install that worked with xp. I can now play the game with no cd.