New sim underway; DA enthusiast advice sought

MDFeingold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all,

I am in the preliminary design/coding stages of a wargame roughly comparable to DA in subject matter and scope, although I intend it to be significantly more "hardcore" than DA (and that latter point is offered with a degree of humility, being that I am a mere armchair general and DA is the product of a military professional). Sadly, as DA is itself but a niche product in a niche market, I hold out little if any hope for the commercial prospects of my program. It is and will likely remain just a labor of love and a vehicle for personal intellectual fulfillment.

Anyway [wiping tear from eye], a fundamental intention of mine is to discard flawed board-wargaming conventions that have somehow survived into the computer-wargaming era, and to produce something that will interest military professionals and serious students of modern military operations (and probably ONLY those people). I have noticed that two of the regular contributors to this forum -- Curt Pangracs and James Sterrett (have I overlooked anyone?) -- are affiliated with CGSC and participate in discussions of the CGSC staff's wants and desires concerning PC-based "low-fidelity" simulations. I would be very interested to learn what features CSGC would want in such a program if they could design something from the ground up. To the extent any such disclosures are unclassified or not subject to any other restrictions, that is. (Yes, I've read the DA wishlist thread (and every other DA thread as well)! ).

Here's a brief, and undoubtedly incomplete, outline of my program goals:

-- focus on operations at the division and corps level (i.e., neither theater level, nor lower levels where direct-fire issues predominate).

-- WE-GO turn-based play, with baseline turns representing 1 hour (with a wrinkle added to represent OODA cycle effects).

-- units (in terms of the icons represented on the screen) will generally be portrayed at the battalion level, but will be composed of platoon/company-sized units to facilitate task-organizing and occasional detachment of units for independent missions.

-- maps will consist of imported .bmp files of real-world or user-created maps. Terrain is represented by coded grid-squares. I am considering resolution down to 250-meter cells, but because, as a general design parameter I would like to accommodate 500x500 KM mission areas, this may result in unacceptably large terrain files. 500- or 1,000-meter resolution is more likely. Additionally, terrain in each cell will consist of a number of "layers," separately depicting physiography, vegetation, urbanization, surface materials, elevation, and other factors. Unlike DA, terrain effects upon a unit are not determined solely by the single terrain cell at the center of the unit's "footprint," but by all of the terrain in the unit's battlespace (although this will vary to a certain extent as a function of the unit's formation and mission). Significant river and road networks and certain other terrain features will be represented using an arc and node method (rather than grid cells).

--In initial iterations of the design, attrition will be modeled on a highly-aggregated basis. My longer-term goal is to model attrition using a stylized system-on-system interaction similar to The Operational Art of War and other programs. Unlike DA, however, units will not abruptly halt when they bump into an enemy unit. An attacker's rate of advance when opposed will depend on the intensity of enemy opposition, terrain, weather, doctrine, commander personalities (see below), respective unit missions and other factors. Loss rates will increase the more that friendly and enemy unit battlespaces overlap. Light infantry units may be able to infiltrate through an enemy unit (albeit incurring a level of casualties), depending on terrain, enemy frontage/unit density, weather, special training and so on.

-- doctrinal differences will be modeled explicitly (that is, to the extent that real, practical differences can be identified. Most discussions of doctrinal distinctions between different armies are maddeningly non-specific, and rarely give the kind of brass-tacks information that a programmer/modeler needs). Ideally, I would like scenario designers to be able to specify the doctrine that each side employs, with selectable choices to include Active Defense, AirLand Battle, Force XXI, Soviet/Warsaw Pact, Krasnovian/OPFOR (to the extent it differs from Sov/WARPAC), Infantry-Based OPFOR (i.e., North Korean), and perhaps Auftragstaktik. This is a very challenging design goal, however, and ultimately may be modeled only weakly, if at all.

-- There will be a much greater emphasis on graphic control measures, as compared to DA. Things like phase lines, lateral boundaries, battle positions, axes of advance, direction of attack, coordinated fire lines, etc. will have functional effects in the game. For example, a unit crossing a phase line specified as a reporting line will send a SITREP. Fire across a unit lateral boundary would have a greater chance of fratricide. Crossing a phase line designated as a probable line of contact will cause a unit to deploy from tactical or approach march to battle formation. And so on.

--Friendly fog-of-war will be modeled, although the extent may be mitigated for playability reasons. Right now, however, I plan to incorporate an optional mode where the player does not have real-time information concerning the location and status of his units, which are represented on the map only by their last-reported location (see prior item about SITREP's at reporting lines). These effects will be reduced by incipient C2 technologies like Blue Force Tracking, Army Battle COmmand System, etc.

-- Unit commander personalities will be modeled -- traits like aggressiveness, risk-aversion, reliability, tactical acumen, etc. (Yeah, I know . . . professional military types aren't keen on "soft factors" but hey, JWARS has it. It's the wave of the future :) But the bottom line is that units will be willful entities that will cannot always be counted upon to do what you want, when you want, or how you want it done. Sometimes they will display initiative to accomplish positive things that you didn't think to or didn't have time to order.

--Logistics: CLass III (fuel) and V (ammo) and engineer barrier material (can't recall the class offhand) will be explicitly modeled apart from other classes. Possibly, "push" versus "pull" logistical systems would be represented as well.

-- programmable "events" -- more extensive than is available in DA, but less than The Operational Art of War.

-- Solitaire, email and LAN-based play will be included. Eventually, I intend to enable multiple players per side.

Well, those are some of the basics. Needless to say, this is an immense project and, having a day job, I can't imagine producing even an alpha version in less than a year from now. I have done a significant amount of coding to date, but nothing worthy of a screen shot.

I apologize if this post is deemed overly off-topic, or in the wrong discussion group, but a number of posts in this forum by Messrs. Pangracs and Sterrett concerning CGSC views were of immense interest to me and I thought that this would be the best place to raise this. If anyone would prefer to communicate via email, I can be reached at XMarcSpott@aol.com.

Thanks,

Marc

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
That's an interesting post to say the least. Some of the issues you have raised are ones that Jim and I have previously discussed, but others are innovations I had not yet considered in any but the most abstract form. Your concept of building up units from subordinate units is also one that I have spoken to Jim about in reference to DA, but I doubt these kinds of changes will ever make it into DA for a variety of reasons.

DA is well suited to do what is was created to do, but as for me I would welcome the addition of another product that covers "serious" wargaming at this scale of command. Let us know if you need additional support and/or beta testers. The people here are friendly and many will be willing to assist if they can.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
MDFeingold said:
Hello all,

I am in the preliminary design/coding stages of a wargame roughly comparable to DA in subject matter and scope, although I intend it to be significantly more "hardcore" than DA (and that latter point is offered with a degree of humility, being that I am a mere armchair general and DA is the product of a military professional). Sadly, as DA is itself but a niche product in a niche market, I hold out little if any hope for the commercial prospects of my program. It is and will likely remain just a labor of love and a vehicle for personal intellectual fulfillment.

Thanks,

Marc
some very good ideas :)

just some quick notes, the DARWARS website has some info on what the various military services (US) desire, plus a long list of Examples of both COTS and purpose built software in use. This should give you an idea of what the DOD wants in any software they design.

http://www.dodgamecommunity.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Topics&file=index

Please, expand upon them here, and if you ever need a tester, I'm more than game :)

Secret Agent

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm willing to playtest! :halo: The only thing I would ask (not knowing much about programming except that it usually takes longer than expected :cry: ) is that some of those things you suggested (e.g. commander personality) be optional (so the player can choose whether it is "on" or "off"). :) But I especially like the idea of selecting doctrine! :love:

MDFeingold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
That's an interesting post to say the least. Some of the issues you have raised are ones that Jim and I have previously discussed, but others are innovations I had not yet considered in any but the most abstract form. Your concept of building up units from subordinate units is also one that I have spoken to Jim about in reference to DA, but I doubt these kinds of changes will ever make it into DA for a variety of reasons.

DA is well suited to do what is was created to do, but as for me I would welcome the addition of another product that covers "serious" wargaming at this scale of command. Let us know if you need additional support and/or beta testers. The people here are friendly and many will be willing to assist if they can.
Yeah, I've got a lot of "innovations" in mind. The problem is that it's far -- FAR -- easier for me to engage in caffeine-fueled ruminations of vaguely-outlined features I'd like to include than it is for me to actually implement the code! This project is definitely going to see "spiral development." The initial in-house iteration is going to approximate roughly the functionality of DA, and then I'm going to gradually layer on the complexity and progressively home in on the final product. I'm a "code first, design later" kind of guy, however inefficient that may be.

Yes, I recall reading a somewhat heated exchange between you and one of the guys at CGSC about component units. I've read every post on this list (some closer than others), and I think the program I've got in mind will satisfy many of your expressed wishes, but not others. I think I recall one of your posts (maybe it was someone else) suggesting a very wide scope of possible scenarios, almost a la TOAW. My design is not going to permit a theater commander perspective; only those elements under the control of division through army commanders. A common "wish list" item I see, for example, is greater control over the air war. IMHO that's outside the scope of the command echelons being modeled. Air support will be similar to DA, although a bit expanded -- you are allocated a numer of sorties pursuant to an ATO; you can request them at a particular time, subject to some restrictions. You can request CAS or Battlefield Aerial Interdiction sorties. I'm on the fence about SEAD sorties. Since I (and apparently many other DA players) frequently use airstrikes for SEAD, I've got to think about how to handle something like this that is really within the purview of the Air Force. More research is required.

I appreciate the offer of beta-testing assistance, although it is very premature!

MDFeingold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
some very good ideas :)

just some quick notes, the DARWARS website has some info on what the various military services (US) desire, plus a long list of Examples of both COTS and purpose built software in use. This should give you an idea of what the DOD wants in any software they design.

http://www.dodgamecommunity.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Topics&file=index

Please, expand upon them here, and if you ever need a tester, I'm more than game :)
Thanks for the link, Ivan. Some interesting stuff there on general design goals and philosophies. What I really hope (and need) to obtain is hard information on the military's conceptual models of warfare. I've googled WARSIM, JWARS, Eagle and innumerable other search terms to death, and have compiled a vast library of material, but rather than "reinventing the wheel" I'd be more than happy just to implement -- in a civilian-accessible, PC-user form -- the brilliant conceptual synthesis of military professionals. :)

MDFeingold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Secret Agent said:
I'm willing to playtest! :halo: The only thing I would ask (not knowing much about programming except that it usually takes longer than expected :cry: ) is that some of those things you suggested (e.g. commander personality) be optional (so the player can choose whether it is "on" or "off"). :) But I especially like the idea of selecting doctrine! :love:
As a gamer, I'm generally a big proponent of optional features. As a (relative beginner) programmer, suddenly I'm a bit more apprehensive about those expansive ideals. :nervous: But, yeah, I'm aware that certain "soft-factor" concepts are particularly prone to controversy and will be a priority to make optional.

Secret Agent

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With regard to air warfare: I think it would be neat to include that aspect of it; if your game was used for a tournament, each side could have a "land ops" commander, and an "air ops" commander. Not only would it give the game more realism, but it might also attract more people (e.g. I tried Harpoon, because I liked the air aspect of it; if it had only been naval ops, I probably would have passed).

Of course, I am not the one doing all the coding.... :halo:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marc,

We have a rather large list of "wants" in a simulation for use here, and many of the things you are interested in doing fit that list. We are constantly looking for "the" sim that will be flexible enough to allow us to keep fidelity low and abstract at the Division and higher levels, but to crank that fidelity up at the brigade and below levels.

The biggest caveat with just about anything we bring on board here is either the generic ability of the simulation to create and send particular messages which are able to be processed by the Army's current suite of C4I systems, or the output of information in a text-based format easily processed by our Joint COTS Game Interface to populate these systems with unit name, type, and location for friendly AND found enemy units.

I'm telling you Marc, you build something that is HLA compliant and produces output that can talk to C4I systems using standard joint messaging, and you will quickly find buyers of your product in the military community!

If you truly feel that you could build something from the ground up that would fulfill our needs here at CGSC, I suggest you contact Scott Udell at scott.udell@leaveanworth.army.mil and begin a dialogue. Keep in mind, though, that our needs here are fairly unique due to the need to have the sim run on basic computers, quickly and easily learned by the students, and run by a minimum of people. We do NOT want something that would require either the hiring of temp people to run an exercise or to take more people out of the training audience.

The desired endstate would be to have the student input all decisions and such on the C4I systems themselves, have those inputs basically be graphic controls, boundaries, phaselines and such, and have the sim accept those graphics as .xml files and actually KNOW what to do with them. The sim would run transparent to the user and would update, in real time, the C4I system with unit position, strength, current mission, etc. I'm sure some of this is quite daunting, but we are always striving here to get the "ultimate" sim for OUR needs, which may not suit other's needs.

Anyway, contact Scott and get things started, and I wish you the best of luck in your labor of love,...I know how it can consume your thoughts!

Curt Pangracs

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Things we have found useful are:

After Action Review, being able to watch the complete game speed up/slowed down at the end.

Multiplayer

Multisided at least 3 red, blue, neutral

Support military terrain format, DTED (elevation data), VMAP (vector mapping data) and ADRG (Raster maps). Minimum is ASCII elevation data, shapefiles for vector mapping and GEOTiff for raster. SDK's for these are available on the web.

C4I interface would be nice :) but not essential

Faster than real time (we use DA with a two hour turn every hour).

I concur with most of what Curt has posted, BUT I think there is a REAL hole at the BDE - Div level (especially Joint ie ships and air) that needs filling. Not many countries operate at the Div level (even the US, which is moving to Bde sized formations).

DA is filling our small requirement for DIV level, but I have a real hole that I need filling.

Good luck, happy to talk more.

Cheers

Rob Carpenter
Deputy Director, Simulation Development
Australian Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With the caveat that everything I'm writing is personal opinion & should not be taken as official CGSC or Northrop Grumman positions in any way (does this disclaimer make my ass look covered? ;) :) ).....

Overall comments:

Ease of use is critical.

Ideally, units are given missions which are controlled by triggers and graphics. [For example, in DA, you can give an artillery unit the mission of counterfire; the graphic is the CFZ or CFFZ; the trigger is enemy fires out of the CFFZ or into the CFZ. The player can think in terms of missions and resource allocation, instead of in terms of directing each fire mission personally.]

Focus less on details of interaction, and more on creating an environment where the player is rewarded for good planning. Carefully chosen abstraction are your friend in this, because it lets you cut away unnecessary detail and lets the player focus on the essential. Example: I don't want a player's plan to fail because a UAV's search pattern was entered into the sim incorrectly - I want it to fail because the operating zone chosen did not support the intel collection plan, or the intel collection plan itself was flawed. Therefore, putting the UAV operating zone into the sim should be very simple - because I want it foolproof, and I want the player's brainpower directed at why the UAV is going to a given area, not how to get it there.

MDFeingold said:
I have noticed that two of the regular contributors to this forum -- Curt Pangracs and James Sterrett (have I overlooked anyone?) -- are affiliated with CGSC and participate in discussions of the CGSC staff's wants and desires concerning PC-based "low-fidelity" simulations.
John Osborne's here too.

-- WE-GO turn-based play, with baseline turns representing 1 hour (with a wrinkle added to represent OODA cycle effects).
I'm curious about the wrinkle. :)

-- units (in terms of the icons represented on the screen) will generally be portrayed at the battalion level, but will be composed of platoon/company-sized units to facilitate task-organizing and occasional detachment of units for independent missions.
My worry about this is that these subunits then wind up playing on the map, and soon we disappear down a rabbit hole into a individual-vehicle type of simulation. Occasional detachment all too quickly devolves into permanent detachment & micromangement. :(

--In initial iterations of the design, attrition will be modeled on a highly-aggregated basis. My longer-term goal is to model attrition using a stylized system-on-system interaction similar to The Operational Art of War and other programs.
The wonderful thing about pure aggregates is that the model is very easy to control and tweak. As you inject more detail, fidelity doesn't necessarily rise, and it's much harder to tweak/troubleshoot the model. If a tank battalion has a base RCP of 10, it's easy to make it a 12 to represent superior training. If that tank battalion is 54 tanks plus various other bits, then representing superior training can suddenly get much more complex.

It can also be harder for the player to understand why something did or did not work.

Unlike DA, however, units will not abruptly halt when they bump into an enemy unit. An attacker's rate of advance when opposed will depend on the intensity of enemy opposition, terrain, weather, doctrine, commander personalities (see below), respective unit missions and other factors.
Might be better off with a variable-rate pauseable real-time model?

-- doctrinal differences will be modeled explicitly (that is, to the extent that real, practical differences can be identified. Most discussions of doctrinal distinctions between different armies are maddeningly non-specific, and rarely give the kind of brass-tacks information that a programmer/modeler needs). Ideally, I would like scenario designers to be able to specify the doctrine that each side employs, with selectable choices to include Active Defense, AirLand Battle, Force XXI, Soviet/Warsaw Pact, Krasnovian/OPFOR (to the extent it differs from Sov/WARPAC), Infantry-Based OPFOR (i.e., North Korean), and perhaps Auftragstaktik. This is a very challenging design goal, however, and ultimately may be modeled only weakly, if at all.
In addition to the difficulty, I'm not sure about the utility, since we really want the players to be demojnstrating their use of these doctrines.... :)

-- Things like phase lines, lateral boundaries, battle positions, axes of advance, direction of attack, coordinated fire lines, etc. will have functional effects in the game.
Cool beans. :)

--Friendly fog-of-war will be modeled, although the extent may be mitigated for playability reasons. Right now, however, I plan to incorporate an optional mode where the player does not have real-time information concerning the location and status of his units, which are represented on the map only by their last-reported location (see prior item about SITREP's at reporting lines). These effects will be reduced by incipient C2 technologies like Blue Force Tracking, Army Battle COmmand System, etc.
Depending on the ease of configuring, this could range from very useful to a bit of a pain. :)

-- Unit commander personalities will be modeled -- traits like aggressiveness, risk-aversion, reliability, tactical acumen, etc. (Yeah, I know . . . professional military types aren't keen on "soft factors"...)
Background on the trouble with this for training (and it could be very useful in some circumstances!)

We presume that when the player hits the "start" button, a plan has been entered into the computer and formulated in the player's mind.

If three things are true, then the player makes no more entiries into the sim:

* The plan can defeat the enemy
* The enemy does what the plan predicts
* Friendly units perform their tasks to standard

If units won't perform to standard, then the player must have some indication of this while planning, so the substandard nature of the unit is known. If dealing with subordinate units of varying effectiveness is a training objective, well and good! but if it isn't then having some units fail badly "just because" can be a bad thing.

[This list is where we get CCIRs.... it's the information required for the commander to ensure that the battle is, in fact, unfolding according to the plan, and if it is not, in what ways the unit's activity must be altered in order to get the plan back on track.]

--Logistics: CLass III (fuel) and V (ammo) and engineer barrier material (can't recall the class offhand) will be explicitly modeled apart from other classes. Possibly, "push" versus "pull" logistical systems would be represented as well.
Modeling the logistics side as a series of nodes and lines, with transport, support base, and security units assigned to them, may work out.

-- programmable "events" -- more extensive than is available in DA, but less than The Operational Art of War.
More detail on this? :)

Well, those are some of the basics. Needless to say, this is an immense project
No kidding. :)

Also, as Curt noted, commo with ABCS is a Good Thing, and by contacting Scott you could get the ball rolling on something official.

In addition, we're always looking for something better, so keep us posted on your progress, particularly when you have something executable. (Though anything official needs to go through Scott.)

Secret Agent

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding the modeling of specific tactics...

James Sterrett said:
In addition to the difficulty, I'm not sure about the utility, since we really want the players to be demojnstrating their use of these doctrines.... :)
That might be a nice feature for the 'civilian' version, though. ;)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure. :)

And a scriptable AI that uses logical operators to select actions, with mission, triggers, and graphics, would be great, too.

Steel Beasts is a good model there. Its editing tools aren't perfect, but they are extremely powerful and pretty easy to use.

MDFeingold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the replies, guys, and the contact at CGSC. I definitely appreciate your time and effort (and sorry for overlooking John Osborne).

A little more about me and the project in general. In real life, I'm an attorney [dodges barrage of tomatoes]. I really don't like my current line of work, and, actually, in 2001 I attempted a career change, going back to school for a professional certification in C++. The tech job market tanked, and I'm back in the law, with any hope of being a professional programmer (let alone a military-oriented programmer) fading fast. I have never written a "real-world" program, and so I lack even a portfolio to show to a prospective employer. My
expansive goals for a sim, therefore, must be balanced against not only my limited ability, but also a need to produce *something* just to get a finished project under my belt for some "street cred". So, my initial design goal here, is to produce something roughly akin to DA and (if you can recall from back in the mid 90's) Three-Sixty's Patriot, but correcting those facets of DA that I strongly disagreed with, as well as a more "authentic" planning idiom -- especially the use of functional graphic control measures and related C2 concepts like OPORDs and FRAGOs.

The current project is an outgrowth -- more of a restart, actually -- of a more conceptually ambitious project I started a couple of years ago. That other project basically died of mission creep -- I was essentially paralyzed by the need to develop the "ultimate" model of combat, and the project ground to a halt. (Among other things, this earlier project was to be a continuous [i.e., real time] sim, which would have required a multithreading approach and many additional modeling complexities). A couple of months ago, I had an epiphany of sorts when I finally decided that I could accept many of the modeling compromises evident in DA (e.g., gridded terrain coding, turn-based, discernible "phases" for combat resolution), and therefore I could at least envision a practicable design spec that would get me coding again rather than impulsively meandering through CGSC and NPS student theses, field manuals, etc. looking for the holy grail of conceptual modeling and getting nowhere.

Right now, I'm attempting to get a terrain editor up and running. The next step is to migrate some code from the earlier project that establishes the sim object model (in the object-oriented programming sense) and unit editor, and handles unit movement. Then I've got to program the basics of units bumping into and engaging each other. After this, numerous additions and refinements to reflect different unit types, mission postures, logistics etc. Just the basics.

I'm only coding in my spare time, so the time horizon just for the above is at least six months from now. When Curt mentioned HLA compliance, a perceptible shudder went down my spine. :shock: Stimulation of/by ABCS ?! Well, let me say, I would *love* to know how ABCS models operations, at least in terms of the typologies for unit activities and status. I have no security clearance, however, and I'm guessing that the data structures for ABCS are classified. Actually, as a long-term design goal I want the user interface to largely replicate Maneuver Control System and its processes. Lord knows, I've googled MCS enough, only to obtain a few screenshots and a few brief narrative descriptions. (Are you guys familiar with the CAPES COA planning module for MCS? Now THAT's what I'd really like to get my hands on.)

But right now, beyond the inital coding outlined above, my intermediate goal for the next year or so is to produce basically a "DA squared" (well, and Patriot squared), in the sense of operations modeling, rather than a radically different beast from a software engineering and integration perspective. Right now, the real world GIS terrain representations mentioned
by Rob are not envisioned (not that I haven't noticed the free DEM data available on the US Geological Survey site, and dreamed). Maybe in a follow-on version. Besides the additional
tech/math savvy that these require, I can't really see how complex elevation and slope representations are applicable in aggregated representations of combat between, generally speaking, battalion-sized entities. Admittedly, this level is right on a very nettlesome cusp where precise direct-fire (LOS) calculations begin to lose relevance but other things, like battalion- or even brigade-level reverse-slope dispositions (e.g., that Tawakalna brigade engagement during ODS mentioned in Carhart's book, Iron Soldiers) are still a tactical option.

I'll respond to individuals' comments in separate posts a bit later today. (Oh, and sorry to hijack this forum away from DA, per se, but at least there's some activity in what is typically a very quiet forum!)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ABCS isn't a simulation - it's the Army Battle Command Systems, of which MCS is a part. :)

It is not cleared for use by non-US citizens; not sure what other restrictions might be on it.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
MDFeingold said:
My expansive goals for a sim, therefore, must be balanced against not only my limited ability, but also a need to produce *something* just to get a finished project under my belt for some "street cred". So, my initial design goal here, is to produce something roughly akin to DA and (if you can recall from back in the mid 90's) Three-Sixty's Patriot, but correcting those facets of DA that I strongly disagreed with, as well as a more "authentic" planning idiom -- especially the use of functional graphic control measures and related C2 concepts like OPORDs and FRAGOs.
I understand where you are heading. On that note, I'm not sure how complicated DA is under the hood. I don't know if Jim used some sort of C++ interface to do it, or if he coded it all by hand or what. I don't even know if it is a C++ program or is C like TacOps. TacOps is all C I believe, but it took MajorH years of programming to get it to its current state. I don't really know how difficult it would be to program something like DA from scratch. John Tiller seems to be able to crank out games at an amazing pace, and Gary Grigsby puts out work at a brisk pace as well. I know several of the game programmers use GUI C++ environments for their work as they insist it is a waste of time to code all of this stuff by hand. Unfortunately, I do not yet have enough skill in this area to speak intelligently about it.

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
C2PC is probably a more useful C2 Interface to use as us NOFORN guys can use it :)

C2 Systems are generally classified to a single country, but at least within NATO, use a standard message set. If you can export out to that message, and read in "orders" from the message then most C2 systems can make some use of it.

In our case the area I want to use it at has a large number of foreign officers, some of which are far more computer savvy than the average Australian, but many for whom using a computer is a new experiance (Solomons Islands and the US Army students :) ).

So having NO C2 stimulation is not a war looser, as long as operational graphics etc etc (like DA) are available.

Cheers

Rob

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rob Carpenter said:
C2PC is probably a more useful C2 Interface to use as us NOFORN guys can use it :)
Having output to *any* C4I system is a good thing since it means the output can be tweaked to deal with another one.

Alternately, generating output that a third party program can parse into the C4I message formats works too.

In our case the area I want to use it at has a large number of foreign officers, some of which are far more computer savvy than the average Australian, but many for whom using a computer is a new experiance (Solomons Islands and the US Army students :) ).
Heh. :)

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Don Maddox said:
John Tiller seems to be able to crank out games at an amazing pace,
not to disparage John's work, but when I was working with him on the Squad Battles series, the reason he could crank out so many games was the fact that he used the same basic engine, and most of the DB work was done by the "teams" - the PzC/SB/Nappy/EAW/ACW/MC teams did most of the dev work, and John tweaked the engine to suit the desired task. While it's a "John Tiller Game", it should be the a "John Tiller Team Game" when you take into account the same guys do all the graphics, sounds, and DB work on every series.

That said, he put in a *lot* of hours.

Rob: as an aside - how do we go about submitting proposals and such to the Aussie sims office? We've got some propietary stuff at work that I (and the tech weenies at work :D ) wouldn't mind cobbling into a BN-BDE level sim, but I'm not sure what guidelines exist. There's certainly nothing on CAL or Vanguard on it.

Marc: Another thing that is sadly lacking on all existing Sims IMO is STS and other amphib abstractions. DA doesn't model it at all, and trying to model MOLE, our (Aussie) doctrine, with DA is very difficult given the lack of this detail. I'm not sure how detailed this would have to be to fit the requirements of the end user, but it is another gap that can be filled.

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ivan Rapkinov said:
Rob: as an aside - how do we go about submitting proposals and such to the Aussie sims office? We've got some propietary stuff at work that I (and the tech weenies at work :D ) wouldn't mind cobbling into a BN-BDE level sim, but I'm not sure what guidelines exist. There's certainly nothing on CAL or Vanguard on it.

Marc: Another thing that is sadly lacking on all existing Sims IMO is STS and other amphib abstractions. DA doesn't model it at all, and trying to model MOLE, our (Aussie) doctrine, with DA is very difficult given the lack of this detail. I'm not sure how detailed this would have to be to fit the requirements of the end user, but it is another gap that can be filled.
Send me a proposal... but we are only interested in working systems. I'm not going to pay to develop a new sim... we may consider mods to existing ones. There are heaps of products we can use, the problem is it user friendly enough and does it do what we want. Very interested in MOLE and Urban Ops at the moment.

Cheers

Rob