New program to help set up VASL scenarios

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The longer VASL 6.6.7 is delayed, the more reports we get about bugs already fixed. I would have liked to have seen 6.6.7 released months ago, and more frequent, smaller releases generally.
I will stick with my planned release schedule for VASL unless either of you asks me to delay. Should be the first week of November.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
A number of the vast-templates snippets are no longer rendering correctly with VASSAL 3.7.1.
This has been confirmed as a bug in VASSAL 3.7.1. They were adding support for loading images from the VASL module, but it broke handling of normal images, and completely borked any CSS (which is why the layout of the vasl-templates labels was such a mess). A fix presumably coming to a VASSAL release near you...

In other related news, code.pacman-ghost.com is back on the air, so please post support requests there.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Vassal 3.7.2 is now released, containing a fix for the image loading problem mentioned above.

BrianR

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I just tried Vassal 3.7.2 with VASL 6.6.6 and all the vasl-templates generated snippets appear as intended with the previous issues now resolved.
Thanks to uckelman and Pacman Ghost for their support efforts and all those engaged in these "labours of love", i.e. vasl-templates, VASSAL, VASL. It is much appreciated.

OPJH

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hello, I'm using for the first time vasl-templates (what a great tool!).
After entering my data I want to update an existing vsav file using the Update VASL scenario.
It doesn't work and I get this message : Can't identify webdriver

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
After entering my data I want to update an existing vsav file using the Update VASL scenario.
It doesn't work and I get this message : Can't identify webdriver
Not really enough information here to provide any help to you.

If your problem is with vasl-templates then I believe there is a website set up to with that and you should go there.

If your problem is with VASL then (a) this post should be somewhere else, and (b) I am happy to help as per the following:

When you entered the data via vasl-templates you were able to successfully save all of that and then open the .vsav file in VASL667? Why then did it need updating? Was it a previously saved, older file to which you added the vasl-templates info?

If you send me the .vsav file that did not update (dougerimmer@gmail.com) I can take a look.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
VASL Templates definitely doesn't like the latest VASSAL version 7.7.8. The data will load into your saved VASL file, but the entire VASL window suffers from a graphical corruption. when you start clicking on drop down menus and windows. Turn off templates and the problems disappear. Ok, I know it's not written to be compatible with this version of VASSAL, so not unduly bothered. You can load the counter images etc. but you can't run the program in the background, so in my case the Chapter H info isn't displayed. Just a heads up.

Cheers

Paul

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I suspect that the problem I described in my previous post is related to my recent upgrade to win 11. A fresh install of templates seems have cured it. I also rolled back VASSAL to version 3.7.5 as that was the last supported version of VASSAL within the program.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I suspect that the problem I described in my previous post is related to my recent upgrade to win 11. A fresh install of templates seems have cured it. I also rolled back VASSAL to version 3.7.5 as that was the last supported version of VASSAL within the program.

Ha! No it didn't. I eventually did find the culprit though. If your VASSAL graphics start doing weird things check preferences and tick this box.... sorted...

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have just embarked on playing "Huns of Steel" from Armies of Oblivion which is set in 1942. The Hungarian forces include two 40M Nimrods. The template for these vehicles appears to contain minor error by stating that they have HEAT ammunition. This should not be available until 1943. I just thought that I would flag this up!.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It doesn't work and I get this message: Can't identify web driver
Ok, the program is looking for the Google Chrome web driver. You'll need to install Google Chrome if you don't already have it installed. I have MS Edge on my PC and installing Google Chrome web browser alongside is fine.

Download the correct Chrome driver from the link below and save the file anywhere you like. set the path in templates preferences. You may need to update the driver periodically.

Chrome for Testing availability (googlechromelabs.github.io)

Just download the version it is asking for, appropriate for your operating system. navigate to the file in the settings preferences in VASL Templates and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
found an error, I think? The American M7 HMC has the vehicle notes listed as #20 on the template counter it should be #44. That also means that the notes won't show up unless saved in png #20 in the US vehicle folder...

Cheers

Paul