New Mod in town

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,

I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and explain a few things for those of you who seem to be a little confused.

My name is Ben Brandhorst, I will be filling in as a mod in this section for the time being. I usually help Rich Hamilton by taking care of the Napoleonics Battles section.

Lets get one thing straight from the get go, so there is no confusion. No one here is trying to protect developers from criticisms. There are a few things to consider when approaching certain subjects though.

Firstly, everyone here is an adult and these forums are generally a pretty friendly place to hang out. Everyone is expected to conduct themselves as gentlemen (and ladies). If you have a concern about something, feel free to voice that concern, but open attacks on other members will not be tolerated. If you have a problem with another member, please utilize the private message system in place to try to resolve your issues. If there is a post that you think is innappropriate, use the 'report bad post' feature.

Secondly, The moderation of the forums is as hands off as possible. Threads are not deleted or edited unless something written is in clear violation of forum policies. Even then the offending poster is usually given the opportunity to correct their post before it is touched by a mod.

My goal here is to make this an enviroment where fans of the Distant Guns game can come together to discuss the progress of the games development and once it's released to talk about all things related to it. We are fortunate enough to have developers frequent the boards and even answer some questions. I am not asking you all to refrain from criticising anyone. I am however asking you to use tact when posting in the forums.

Thanks
Ben

Last edited:

stache

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Leftie said:
Lets get one thing straight from the get go, so there is no confusion. No one here is trying to protect developers from criticisms.

{...}

Secondly, The moderation of the forums is as hands off as possible. Threads are not deleted or edited unless something written is in clear violation of forum policies. Even then the offending poster is usually given the opportunity to correct their post before it is touched by a mod.
Perhaps you would be well-served to start by explaining - carefully and in some detail - why it appears that every single thread that expressed the slightest criticism about the copy-protection scheme employed by Distant Guns is now locked?

If you folks are not "protecting the developers," why was it necessary to thwart these discussions?

Stan

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
stache said:
Perhaps you would be well-served to start by explaining - carefully and in some detail - why it appears that every single thread that expressed the slightest criticism about the copy-protection scheme employed by Distant Guns is now locked?

If you folks are not "protecting the developers," why was it necessary to thwart these discussions?

Stan
Chetnikk,

You have already been banned once and yet you continue to try to post here under a different username ehh? This should be resolved rather quickly.

Ben

Last edited:

scooterzz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Leftie said:
Chetnikk,

You have already been banned once and yet you continue to try to post here under a different username ehh? This should be resolved rather quickly.

Ben
At the risk of being banned on my first post, this long-time lurker would be interested in seeing "Chetnik"s question answered. If you're not protecting developers, why all this thread-locking and banning? What rules of the forum were these people breaking?

SKS

szilard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
scooterzz said:
At the risk of being banned on my first post, this long-time lurker would be interested in seeing "Chetnik"s question answered. If you're not protecting developers, why all this thread-locking and banning? What rules of the forum were these people breaking?

SKS
My guess: this kind of flame war turns off a lot of lurkers, the most numerous group on any forum. Given that SZO is running an ad-supported business here, for which visits = dollars, that is not a good thing for them.

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
scooterzz said:
You are a troll, Sir. You are in violation of the TERMS OF USE and FORUM RULES of this site. You have been banned twice (this makes the third time), and yet you continue to create additional user accounts with fictitious names and false information for the sole purpose of attacking an advertiser on this site.

If you place any value whatsoever on what little remains of your personal reputation, stop now.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
stache said:
We have never ever suggested that visitors should not post tough questions or criticism for developers or publishers on these forums. One of the things many visitors find attractive about this forum is that it is an independent operation, not owned by any developer or publisher. And as of this writing, I have never owned stock in any game company and am not planning to.

The only thing which might motivate us to "protect a developer" is when it is clear that certain individuals are using our forums as a platform to operate an organized campaign with malicious intent against an advertiser. You, Sir, are doing exactly that.

You have created at least three separate user accounts using fictitious names and false information in violation of the site's TERMS OF USE and FORUM RULES. You then use these accounts to hound the developer in question by attacking with one account, then supporting your own attacks with the others. You have also repeatedly trashed the site's staff and have attempted to disrupt these forums.

Three of your accounts have been suspended: Chetnikk, Stache, and Scooterzz. You have also been quite active on other sites, using still different identities.

My advice: quit while you're behind.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What would be the best way to have some technical questions answered?

I would still like to know what kind of changes you can make to your PC before you need to re-register because the software thinks it moved.

It is no question that I will buy this game, but there are some, IMHO, valid questions open to estimate what exactly you get.

Jim Burns

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
We have never ever suggested that visitors should not post tough questions or criticism for developers or publishers on these forums.
I am truly disgusted by the behavior of SZO regarding the past weeks discussions concerning SES copy protection scheme for their new game. I’ve watched as several people were banned for no greater offense than asking pointed questions and pressing the issue when they were either ignored or attacked by members of this community or the developers themselves.

I’ve then seen members of this community refer to me personally (and others) as stupid wargaming monkeys and other insulting terms and not seen a voice raised in protest by either active members or moderators, leaving it to myself to post in protest.

I’ve witnessed childish and paranoid behavior on the part of the developers to the point I’ve come to question whether professional therapy isn’t needed/required. I’ve also seen long time members of the PC wargaming community attacked and lies posted about them and nothing was done by SZO to right the situation. In fact they defended the developer and lashed out at the victim.

I’ve been a long time lurker here but have reached the conclusion this site is worthless as a hobbyist site for wargamers. So I am asking to be banned permanently from this pathetic ass-kissing marketing site permanently. I guess if calling someone stupid a dozen times isn’t bad enough to be warned about let alone banned for, perhaps the above isn’t strong enough.

Don Maddox you are pathetic, you’ve prostituted yourself to industry types and you’re no longer an asset to the wargaming community. You fail to look out for the interests of members of this community and are nothing more than a shill for anyone willing to spend a dime on advertising on this site. Don’t bother checking IP logs or anything, I guarantee you this is my true identity and my wargaming credentials are well established.

Jim

Reiryc

Reaction score
I have to say, I too am disappointed that this chetnikk guy was banned.

While he had a hostile tone to many of his posts, he still asked an important question about the game that drew little more than hostile remarks towards him personally.

Hopefully I won't be banned for stating my objection as I've been a long time active member of szo/armchair general and hopefully won't be considered trolling for doing so...

Mini-Me

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim Burns said:
I am truly disgusted by the behavior of SZO regarding the past weeks discussions concerning SES copy protection scheme for their new game. I’ve watched as several people were banned for no greater offense than asking pointed questions and pressing the issue when they were either ignored or attacked by members of this community or the developers themselves.
You are mistaken. One person was banned several times. All instances of banning after the first one was for logging in under a new identity after being banned. Get your facts straight before leveling accusations.

Jim Burns said:
I’ve then seen members of this community refer to me personally (and others) as stupid wargaming monkeys and other insulting terms and not seen a voice raised in protest by either active members or moderators, leaving it to myself to post in protest.

I’ve witnessed childish and paranoid behavior on the part of the developers to the point I’ve come to question whether professional therapy isn’t needed/required. I’ve also seen long time members of the PC wargaming community attacked and lies posted about them and nothing was done by SZO to right the situation. In fact they defended the developer and lashed out at the victim.

I’ve been a long time lurker here but have reached the conclusion this site is worthless as a hobbyist site for wargamers. So I am asking to be banned permanently from this pathetic ass-kissing marketing site permanently. I guess if calling someone stupid a dozen times isn’t bad enough to be warned about let alone banned for, perhaps the above isn’t strong enough.

Don Maddox you are pathetic, you’ve prostituted yourself to industry types and you’re no longer an asset to the wargaming community. You fail to look out for the interests of members of this community and are nothing more than a shill for anyone willing to spend a dime on advertising on this site. Don’t bother checking IP logs or anything, I guarantee you this is my true identity and my wargaming credentials are well established.

Jim
I'm sure Don can defend himself just fine, but IMO this is uncalled for. I hate the phrase 'personal attack', but if ever there was one, ths is it. Don and the rest of the staff have handled this whole situation in a professional manner. You only see what you choose to see.

Why ask to be banned? Why don't you just not visit the site?

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Jim Burns said:

it's so gratifying to be holier than thou - because you obviously know everything that's going on behind the scenes.

this copy protection (which when it comes down to it is the crux of the matter) is obviously causing such a huge stir in the wargaming market - what with the 12 or so members of the NG casting their own ever so important opinion on the subject. That group of 5-6 NG posters managed to turn a once thriving community into a purile imitation of it's former self. Congratulations.

and guys like Don are the one's hurting wargaming? You've managed to turn a open, non-moderated environment, ostensibly the best place for people to go and get "unadulterated" information about a game, into the Gifty-appreciation society, and Eddy's copy-and-paste review.

well done - yep your wargaming credentials are well established - but they're over shadowed by your vitriolic attacks on something you don't like. Don't like it? Fine, don't buy it - don't attack some poor sap for not being as enlightened as yourself about the current crop of wargames. Don't lay into them based on whether they profess a liking for certain developers - but no; that would be contrary to the notion of infallability that some NG members to have.

You wonder why wargming is a non-growth market? It's guys like you - the Old Guard, those who proudly wear the name of "Grognard" and take it to it's most literal sense. Hard to get new blood in when those who try to become a part of your sanctified community are lambasted with condascending missives from a select group who got passed by long ago.

This has nothing to do with Don, SES or even your own vehemence - it's to do with the fact that the NG as a medium is dead. It died when free thought was replaced by blind adherance to those that could spew forth with the most frequency. You can launch verbal assualts on any number of sites, and yet you have to wonder why, if the denizens of the NG are so importnat to the world of wargaming, why the community as a whole has stopped listening to what you (collectively) say.

long time NG lurker.

edit: I must amend this to point out that not every person on the NG has a chip on their shoulder. This is directed at a the most vocal posters who do nothing more than create divisiveness within the greater wargaming community. Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't - but I never attempt to post there, for the simple reason that dissent is just shouted down, and agreement is seen as toadyism - way to build a functional community.

Last edited:

xlegion

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Holy Cow! I'm new to this board and I can't believe what I'm seeing

Well, the title says it all. I logged onto this particular thread because I thought I would see some discussion about a new computer game called "Distant Guns" which looks pretty neat.

But all I see are "threats about members being kicked out", defense of developers, etc....At the risk of being kicked off of this board before even starting, can I ask three simple questions?

1.) Is this game out now?

2.) Can I get some general comments from someone who has played it?

3.) What is this scary copy protection scheme all about?

If I purchase the game legally (which I would like to do, if I can find more information on it) what difference what kind of copy protection is on it as long as I am the original owner.

Informaton please gentlemen, not argument.

Sincerely and with no prejudice.

xlegion

Von Tegetthof

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Don Maddox said:
We have never ever suggested that visitors should not post tough questions or criticism for developers or publishers on these forums.
You wouldn't ever do anything so subtle as 'suggest', you're more a rubber truncheon and MACE man.

BAN - HECTOR - FINGER WAG - THREATEN -STEAL MORAL HIGH GROUND - SOUND ALL GROWN UP - CREEP - CRAWL - ADMIT DEFEAT - LOCK - BAN.

SZO = StaZi all Over again

Mini-Me

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Von Tegetthof said:
You wouldn't ever do anything so subtle as 'suggest', you're more a rubber truncheon and MACE man.

BAN - HECTOR - FINGER WAG - THREATEN -STEAL MORAL HIGH GROUND - SOUND ALL GROWN UP - CREEP - CRAWL - ADMIT DEFEAT - LOCK - BAN.

It appears the peanut gallery has returned.

How is this post constructive? Do tell....

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Von Tegetthof said:

And you, Sir, need to need to go somewhere else to seek your entertainment.