Need some help with board files for ASL for Fun.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do I get the zip file downloaded from the ASL for Fun maps section to work? I get a zip file which I unzip and then I have a folder with a .gif and a data file. I am using Windows 10.

Rob

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How do I get the zip file downloaded from the ASL for Fun maps section to work? I get a zip file which I unzip and then I have a folder with a .gif and a data file. I am using Windows 10.

Rob
The files are VASL files. You have to open with VASL.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

Rob
Sometimes, your PC/Mac recognizes they are zip files and helpfully appends a .zip to the end. To make them work, just remove the ".zip" from the end and place it in your board directory. It should work fine then. -- jim

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My problem is that I don't know how to change a folder to a file. Forgive my stupidity, but I need a little more detail on how to do this.

Rob

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Right-click the link, choose Save link as (or whatever it's equivalent shows as) and when you see it say bdWhatever.zip in the dialog, delete the .zip in the name and set to all files.

There are other ways, but this is probably the easiest to follow.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I
Right-click the link, choose Save link as (or whatever it's equivalent shows as) and when you see it say bdWhatever.zip in the dialog, delete the .zip in the name and set to all files.

There are other ways, but this is probably the easiest to follow.

View attachment 28192
I have tried this. It still reverts to a zip file.

Rob

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I

I have tried this. It still reverts to a zip file.

Rob
Open file explore. Click on the three dots. Select options. Make sure "Hide Extensions for Know File Types" is unchecked. You may think you have changed the extension when in actual fact, Windows is protecting you from yourself.

If you want to hop onto Discord, we can try to sort you out directly. -- jim

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Open file explore. Click on the three dots. Select options. Make sure "Hide Extensions for Know File Types" is unchecked. You may think you have changed the extension when in actual fact, Windows is protecting you from yourself.

If you want to hop onto Discord, we can try to sort you out directly. -- jim
Thanks Jim, that was the trouble. All set now.

Rob