Napoleon and early American War series

Do you play Napoleon and/or Early American War series games from HPS?

• Yes

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Do you play any of HPS' Napoleon and/or Early American War series? Any interest in seeing these series covered in the forum as well? Please vote and let me know your opinions.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Would like them covered in the forums/WARS and in the Downloads section. I've asked through staff channels for the Napoleonics specifically, but with the current changes going on I haven't heard back as of yet.

I have a decent amount of content for a section too...over 80 downloads and 16 articles.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play both, mainly in the CCC and NWC, but would also play here if they were supported.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to see a separate forum for the period that covered both the Napoleonic and Early American War games and call it something like Age of Muskets or War with Muskets or something similar. There are already 4 HPS Napoleonic and 3 HPS Early American games out and then you add in the three Talonsoft titles and you have just about as many as the Civil War games.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK I've asked the Admins. Their response is: they want to see a dedicated staff on this possible forum, like mods, staffers, who could post information, actively seek AARs, just keep the forum and section going. What they don't want, and I tend to agree with them, is to create a forum where there is not any activity. Take for example this forum, when it started out I often saw nobody on the forum discussing and posting. But look at it now, although we are far from being as popular as TOAW, our regular posters have increased, the PzC and MC are on WARS, we discuss/post, we even started a small tournament, and the WARS ladder membership is growing. SO I am going to ask this: Are any of you able to commit to such a forum? If so, then we are in business. Comments? Opinions?

Liveline99

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sure bring it on...sometimes over at the Blitz things are a little slow in the Nappy section, maybe it would/could be better here???

Reiryc

Reaction score
I've got more time than I know what to do with...

Would be happy to mod the forum and help with getting information put up on a regular basis.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reiryc said:
I've got more time than I know what to do with...

Would be happy to mod the forum and help with getting information put up on a regular basis.
Glad to see it. I'll pass on your name to the Admins.

rahamy

Reaction score
Being as it's part of my job :cheeky: I'd be a contributing member, source of detailed answers, etc. Essentially a mod. :smoke:

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
rahamy said:
Being as it's part of my job :cheeky: I'd be a contributing member, source of detailed answers, etc. Essentially a mod. :smoke:
Great stuff!!

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To keep you Guys in the loop, this is a response I received in the staff forum to our request for a Napoleonic forum:

Well, go over the posts that Don made about how we are going to be running things now that we've made the switch to the new server/name/look. It needs to be a supported forum. There needs to be lots of interest, we need a dedicated staff that are willing (up front!) to commit to posting scads of material, so it can be properly populated, stay fresh with new material, have someone in authority going over it on a regular basis, etc.

It *is* more than just someone willing to be a mod. We need people willing to work to make the section popular and successful. If it cannot serve a valuable function here, we don't require it. Can we get a link to the thread, Danny? (Oh - did you get the turn I finally sent? )

And how about some ideas kicked around for what will be done in this forum from it's proponents? What kind of material will you commit to creating/posting to start things off if we make the forum? What will be added on a regular basis? A regular column? AARs? Original Mods and articles on a regular basis?

Show us that the tools and commitment are there to make this work, show that the need and interest is there in our community, show that the staff is available and willing to put in the time and effort, and I can tell you that it will be alot easier for the powers-that-be to make a decision in the positive.

So of the members who came forward, are you still willing and able to perform the duties required?

rahamy

Reaction score
Hi Danny,

Nope, and as you said in the staff forum, I'm not able to do that for the current CWB section either...

Regards,
Rich

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
rahamy said:
Hi Danny,

Nope, and as you said in the staff forum, I'm not able to do that for the current CWB section either...

Regards,
Rich
Then you and I are on the same page as I always suspected we were.

Reiryc

Reaction score
I could do a lot of that if it was a generic napoleonic's forum, not just an hps napoleonics forum. Why? Because to keep generating interest, imo, we would need to continually discuss the new napoleonic type wargames that come to the market. While hps has fine games that I enjoy, they don't come out with enough titles in the napoleonic series to justify a section with the kind of content requested above.

Add in other games, like cossaks 2, imperial glory, crown of glory, empire in arms, battles of napoleon, campaigns on the danube, etc and then, imo we will have enough content to keep a regular community.

The community of dedicated hps napoleonic wargamers is small compared to some of the other communities imo. The only way to meet the criteria as listed by you dannybou would be to widen the target audience to all the napoleonic titles or atleast a good number of them so that interest and new topics are fresh.

AAR's would be encouraged but of course it's up to the members to want to do them and post them, trivia like rahamy does with the cwb section is a nice idea that could be replicated, discussions about what-if scenarios might also generate some discussion.