My first Nor'easter AAR

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings all,

Just had my first Noreaster Adventure and when they say Nor'easter, they're not kidding. Going up to Boston, we got hit with a sleet storm during the event and am fully looking forward to spring now. Would like to thank Carl and his crew of organizers for putting together a terrific event.

My first game was with Charlie Hamilton and we had a nice little battle with Kazina Klash, were I ended up taking the Germans in this one. I meant to write down Group A for my forces (75 + mmg) but wrote down Group B instead (because I didn't look at the card). Used a trick Ron D taught me to get them on the board, rampant SD usage and then unload in the smoke. This battle went late into the 5th turn, but I think I rolled too well in the early stages of the game and took away too many assets early. It was a blast laying smoke everywhere and causing havoc with the tin can early war tanks. Was a great game to start the tourney though.

For the 2nd game, I can't remember my opponents name (got home and started rolling boxcars in real life so memories are starting to dim early for this one). But we played Riders on the Storm with me pulling the allied forces. Lost this one due to a combination of my poor choices as well as some poor luck, but it was a fun and exciting game. With respect to my poor choices, what I should have done was to set the DC on the bridge on my left with the hero, this could have taken out a vehicle and really messed with my opponents unarmored vehicular movement. Instead I had the genius idea of putting the DC on the 2nd floor and chucking it out the window onto the street below which never saw a vehicle come by. Was also slow in my movement of forces to face the onslaught of vehicles resulting in the Piat never being in position to threaten the stronger armored vehicles. Now for bad luck, the two Marders got out front and one was the Marder from hell. I first tried to get it with one of my Greyhounds by doing a drive by on it's rear. Instead the thing turns and gets rate! I put a 37 mm shell into it and it bounces, it misses again, but I can't get out of it's LOS, my intensive fire bounces off again!. It then proceeds to blow the Greyhound away (which causes a big swing in VP). My squad with the Bazooka gets within 2 hexes with only a hedge in the way. Got off 5 shots including a CH! only to be followed by a DUD!! This resulted in a good natured whoop from my opponent that got everyone's attention in the room. The 5th shot malf'd the baz. The VP swing was one that I couldn't overcome and this one ended in Turn 6 with the Marders safely driving off the board.

The 3rd game was the match of the tourney for me against Rob Loper, we've played a lot of very close games both at Albany and occaisionally on Vasl. For this one we played Mook Point and I drew the defenders. Looking at the board, this one seemed a lot like Hart Attack (one where I have a lot of experience) so I set up most of my force forward with the intention to run back. From Hart Attack, I had a good sense of where to defend. This included a HS in X7 and a squad on first level in AA7. The initial attack came along a front from X0 to X11 and wiped out the forward HS, although, my upper level squad assassinated a squad moving in the orchard with snakes. Had a 8-1/HS/mmg on EE1 that also took out a HS. A lot of damage was done in terms of broken and ELR'd units for Rob in this initial phase. My upper level squad choose to run instead of fighting as it would not be able to rout from AA7, instead it got tagged with a 8+2 and broke in the upper level of BB7, but here, it could rout away, and it would rally quickly in the next phase. Turn 2 was a little cat and mouse, but things would get more serious in T3. The rest of my early game (pre t3) consisted of the squads defending the area of rows 18-20 either moving onto foxholes on the 2a C17 or D17, moving a squad, 9-1/347/mmg and a ?? stack onto the hill CC13/DD12 to channel the attack above the brush DD9/DD10, which would now have most of the German units coming in the B0 to B10 range. The important artillery observer was set up on the 2nd level hill and initially relocated for the first couple of turns. When he started dialing the radio up, all kinds of trouble occurrred, can't make contact, can't keep contact... which was only fair. In our prior match in Albany, Rob must of set a record for futility in trying to make radio contact in the PTO with about 11 rolls >8. Eventually this guy would get contact and bring down the hurt.

Turn 3 would be rough on me. The halftracks and FT troops came in around FF0 and the first one broke one of my squads in 2aB4, the 2nd moved to cause a FTR and broke another squad, so my line here would be shattered. Rob's troops would rush forward and take all of the buildings. My 8-1/347mmg on the edge would still be a thorn. T4 saw the a HT come around after them and be stunned in the MP. My mmg would malf and never repair, the HS would break, but the 8-1 would manage to advance onto the HT, fail in the first attempt to get it in cc, but reaction fire as it tried to drive away and eliminate this vehicle.

My observer would finally call down the artillery on C7 (taking the full hill under fire) and Shock the other vehicle, it wouldn't come back. After a full turn of artillery falling, the radioman (still concealed) along with a squad would be advanced upon in CC, and manage to get ambush. The radioman would slink away and continue to cause the steel rain to fall in the same spot for a little while longer. Meanwhile the 9-1 would race over to B13/C14 where he kept pulling the trick of having a concealed 667 run up to a skulk hex, have a HS throw the mmg to the 667, advance into firing position, then deploy. Repeat this 3-4 times and then there are an army of mmc hs counters in the area of D14 to D17 to carry the day (VP = mmc, not squads). Robs forces would get into the area of e11/e12 but too many were behind the artillery and the FT's had no bearing on the game, the first one malf'd on the first attack, the 2nd one's owner fell victim to artillery fire.

In my mind this is one of the epic back and forth matches that I had with Rob over the years and one of the best in the last year. By this time, my mind was shot, actually struggled a lot during my game with Rob as I'm a bit hard of hearing and have trouble focusing on such an epic battle.

The last game (for me) was vs. Mike, the minister of propaganda and we ended up playing Making a Break for It and this was a fun and relaxing game to finish the tourney off. We took it into turn 5, when my good fortune in cc cleared most of the upper board allowing an easy exit for the bulk of my forces. Always a good time when attacking with forces like this thru stone.

Once again, kudos for the Yasl team for putting together a fine event and hopefully next year there will be a Nor'easter without a Nor'easter.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was nice getting to meet you Vic. Glad you had a good time.