Monitor choices for CM:BN

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I bought a new computer desk today. In the process of moving my computer "stuff" out of my "command post" in anticipation of putting it back into its new home, the monitor got tangled up and hit the ground. Well, I've had my 19" LCD since 2006, so maybe time to get a new one. A couple of pink pixels anyway, no big deal, right?

Apparently - they don't make square monitors anymore.

WTH?

I finally bought a widescreen TV last year. Love it; like going to the movies, particularly in my basement with the lights out.

Why do I need to sit at my computer desk and do the same thing...??

Guess I don't get it. As someone who does layout and design of self-published books, it's particularly annoying to go out and buy a 20" monitor, but have it now like 33% shorter vertically. I'm used to this real estate layout from occasionally working on my layout, but it seems so pointless to force this perspective on my desktop.

Any chance it's just a fad?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you need to start thinking resolution, not dimensions.

As a CM player or general wargamer I would get nothing with less than 1200 vertical. A 1920x1080 would run CMx1 in 1280x1024 maximum thanks to the braindead graphics setup there.

As a general rule monitors that only offer TV resolutions such as 1920x1080 are lower quality than monitors for professional photo editing. I would get a 24" 1920x1200 with an IPS panel. I think both HP and Dell still offer that.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I think you need to start thinking resolution, not dimensions.

As a CM player or general wargamer I would get nothing with less than 1200 vertical. A 1920x1080 would run CMx1 in 1280x1024 maximum thanks to the braindead graphics setup there.

As a general rule monitors that only offer TV resolutions such as 1920x1080 are lower quality than monitors for professional photo editing. I would get a 24" 1920x1200 with an IPS panel. I think both HP and Dell still offer that.
Well, I didn't want to spend more than 150 bucks since this was a quickie replacement. Future Shop repulsed me with their poor customer service once again so I said to hell with it and went to Walmart. Picked up a 20" emachines monitor. I found that CMX1 does work; had to SKIP the first set up (text didn't show up) but it accepted the second one just fine - shows up with black bars on the flanks. I notice LOTRO works as well with an option to play either widescreen (stretched) or in a window in the middle of the screen.

Thanks for the advice though; I suspect that when I'm ready to spend more money, I'll get one of those premiere jobs that I saw, much larger and perhaps with decent speakers built in.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOTRO will do the real widescreen with no stretching or black bars.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, CMSF does the trick in widerscreen as do most modern games. If I remember right, you can even get CMAK and CMBB to do widescreen. The vehicles look a little stretched to start with but you soon forget about that.

I picked up a nice 23 inch one last year when I got my new PC, took my old 19 inch one to work. Every time I use a square monitor now I dont think it feels right!

junk2drive

Reaction score
When the wife's CRT started acting up a few months ago I bought her an HP 20". Sunday I used it to view the shots in the CMBN AAR and it was so nice not to scroll the screen side to side to see the whole picture. I may have to get myself one soon.

junk2drive

Reaction score
One day later I bought a 21.5" AOC LED monitor. Store guy said LCD is on its way out and LED is the new thing. Paid less than I paid for the wife's 20".

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You need to stop thinking diameter and start thinking resolution. For CMx1 it is important to get 1200 pixels vertical (as opposed to 1080), otherwise the game will not offer 1600x1200, only 1280x1024 which is a huge loss.

Pillar

Reaction score
lol@ logging in here after ages and seeing Michael asking for help picking a monitor for CMN.

You're a funny guy, Mike. Adorable.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Are you going to buy CMBN?
If you looked around the forum you will see that he has already bought the game and was one of the first to pre-order.

Cheers and welcome to the forum....