just got a 360

psp_fan

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ok i just got an xbox 360 today and i am soo confused because i dont know what all this trophy and achievement stuff and gamertag things are?
Can someone tell me all there is to know for online like what i need to play online and about the general playying alone?
Help appreciated

lilninja

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Right I'll start with Gamertags.
Gamertags are basically the name you will use on xbox live. I use El Froobinater so when i play Tony Hawks over my head there will be El Froobinater. This is also the name that people will you add you as on Xbl.

Achievements: Each game has 1000 achievement points to unlock. You have to do certain things to unlock these. If you are on Xbox live your gamertag and gamerscore (achievements) will be added to the leaderboard. The higher your gamerscore the lower you are on the leaderboard. It is also a way to show off lol.

Things for online: You need a hard drive or a memory card to play online. You can use an ethernet cable or buy the wireless adapter which costs £60.

Playing alone: Urmm what can i say??

Anyway i hope this helps plus if you need more information go on Xbox.com | Xbox.com Home or ask Bootay because he's a 360 genius.

psp_fan

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
thnx but i got another question;)
I got the a 360 with a hard drive it came with 2 games and these other stuff:
-Headset
-Ethernet connectivity cable
-component hd av cable
(is that what i need to play online cause i really dont know what its is??)
Help appreciated

lilninja

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
First to answer Andy: No it doesn't which sucks major!

Anyway you have everything to go for live!
The ethernet cable is for sticking into your router it should have a spare space. If not stick it into your comp. I don't know that method but go on Xbox.com | Xbox.com Home for it.
The headset is used to talk to people (duh).
Component thing goes from 360 to T.V
And your done.. If you have any other questions please go to window 2

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just thought i'd add you have to PAY if you want to play online via xbox live its £40 for a years GOLD membership although some online stores are selling the 12month prepaid card for £32-35 (amazon,play.com if they got any in stock)

The free xbox live just lets you download updates and stuff but doesnt let you play online.

If you do go online tell us your gamertag.

Mines breafdragon

I have

Obivion (its not multiplayer though)
Chrome Hounds
Ninty nine knights (again not multiplayer)
Ghost recon advanced warfighter
Gears of war
Call of Duty 3.

I also have access to Need for Speed carbon (its my housemates but since he hasn't got his 360 yet and plays it on mine he cant really object to me borrowing it ;) )

Johno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just got a 360 at christmas aswell so my gamertag is BigBadJohn07 if anyones interested

I have GOW, R6, COD2, Splinter cell DA

and im hoping to get COD3 soon, i played both demo's but preferred COD2, but im getting it for a decent price, so why not.

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
added you :)

@ andymac no it doesn't have wi-fi unless you buy the wi-fi adaptor which plugs into the usb port on the back and clips to the back of the console

its an 802.11 A/B/G adaptor and costs the rip off price of £60

personally why they dont make an 802.11G/B only adaptor for a cheaper price is beyond me.

I don't know of anyone who has a 802.11A wireless network Even though Microsoft reccomends you use one

(becuase they operate on 5ghz instead of 2.4Ghz and are less likely to get interfered with by things like cordless phones.etc)

psp_fan

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
uh two more questions
(im really sorry im just curious)
-How can you see ur rank when you play a ranked game and where?
-How do i add people to a friends list?
and my gamer tag is Bballa786

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
uh two more questions
(im really sorry im just curious)
-How can you see ur rank when you play a ranked game and where?
-How do i add people to a friends list?
and my gamer tag is Bballa786

First one not sure, haven't bothered looking, don't really play ranked myself becuase you can't invite people to ranked on gears of war and its more fun when you can invite mates to join in :laugh:

Second one Press the xbox guide button on the controller (its the one in the center with the light ring around it)

go down to the little icon of a person click it, it should bring up your friends list, theres an option there to add friends.

If you have xbox live gold you can also do it from Xbox.com | Xbox.com Home on your pc (hint: its much easier because you can just copy their name from the forum and paste it in ;) )

psp_fan

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
if anyone wants to add me mine is Bballa786;)
ive already added the bigbadjohn guy and breafdragon

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
if anyone wants to add me mine is Bballa786;)
ive already added the bigbadjohn guy and breafdragon
i think i saw you online earlier, sorry about not responding your invite i was doing a task on Test drive unlimted at the time.

Andymac

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
added you :)

@ andymac no it doesn't have wi-fi unless you buy the wi-fi adaptor which plugs into the usb port on the back and clips to the back of the console

its an 802.11 A/B/G adaptor and costs the rip off price of £60

personally why they dont make an 802.11G/B only adaptor for a cheaper price is beyond me.

I don't know of anyone who has a 802.11A wireless network Even though Microsoft reccomends you use one

(becuase they operate on 5ghz instead of 2.4Ghz and are less likely to get interfered with by things like cordless phones.etc)

So would you be able to use a normal USB wireless adapter?

psp_fan

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
its ok breafdragon;)i just wanted to make sure it was you
btw does everykind of 360 package include a microphone cause ssome ppl dont talk online?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not core, if everyone had one though wouldnt you consider people are shy or some might have broken?

psp_fan

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
guyz i am really worried something really wierd just happened
ok i am playing a demo and someone on the microphone suddenly says "jimmy hey jimmy" out of nowhere and i am not even online:shock:

psp_fan

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
guyz srry for double posting and maybe scaring you but it turns out that the test drive unlimited demo was online!:crosseye:

Dragon2611

I am me!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So would you be able to use a normal USB wireless adapter?
No unfortantly not, the xbox doesn't reconise one if plugged in.

Pity would have saved ££ ;)

You could use one of those wired > wireless bridges but they cost almost as much as the offical adaptor unless you get lucky and find one cheap on the internet.

Or theres homeplug which uses your electrical wireing for network, that would probably work becuase you connect it via eithernet to computers, both those solutions cost more or near to the price of the offical adaptor anyway and may require a pc/mac to do the configuration of the device.