J212 Shoulder to Shoulder

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J212 in the last round of the West VASL League. I had played with before in the eASL tournament. Both times I had the Germans. I have now won and lost with the Germans in this scenario, balanced according to ROAR. My take is on how the Americans win.

The Americans start with 7 squads, and MMG, and a 60mm mortar. The Germans enter with 16 squads and 3 StuG IIIG. The Americans cannot slug it out but must practice a fall back defense. Standing their ground permits the Germans to impose their overwhelming superiority in the first 3 turns to get a lead in CVP. That allows them to exit 10 exit VP and then force the Americans to come get them.

The MMG and the MTR have to chew on the Germans from long distance. The other 6 squads creep back using the buildings to make the Germans pay for each building in the village. The Americans must keep the Meatchopper out of reach of the StuGs and constantly threatening the German infantry. The M8 ACs need to re-balance the CVP with the cannister shots and position themselves to take side shots on the StuGs should they try to exit. Playing an upfront defense is probably a mistake.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jazz and I are midway through this. Does look to be a good scenario, and a nice board for it. I was wondering how the Germans would ever choose the Exit VP; seems like they'd have to crush the armor game in order to get the CVP necessary; I don't see how they could ever get both the Building Control and Exit VP options to work simultaneously. (And yes, that was the ultra-rare double-semicolon sentence; no idea if it's legal, but I'm gonna make my opponent point it out in the rulebook).

Also not sure how the MTR can chew on the Germans from long distance; I8 is a nice spot, albeit short-lived cuz it's right up front, and F17 seems overly-blocked by the Pine Woods and other obstacles.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a fun scenario where both sides get cool toys. I like an upfront, on the hill American defense, they can fall back and rally in the village.
I slightly like the Germans in this one but the Stg3s gotta be played just right, there are a few hill hexes that seem to see all types of sneaky spots and cut the village into chunks. Might be best to attack on a broad front.
Remember, you can shoot through the light woods (+2 hindrance)

advice to the American: don’t stop your gyro tank, enjoy.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jazz and I are midway through this. Does look to be a good scenario, and a nice board for it. I was wondering how the Germans would ever choose the Exit VP; seems like they'd have to crush the armor game in order to get the CVP necessary; I don't see how they could ever get both the Building Control and Exit VP options to work simultaneously. (And yes, that was the ultra-rare double-semicolon sentence; no idea if it's legal, but I'm gonna make my opponent point it out in the rulebook).

Also not sure how the MTR can chew on the Germans from long distance; I8 is a nice spot, albeit short-lived cuz it's right up front, and F17 seems overly-blocked by the Pine Woods and other obstacles.
2 stg3s can exit near the scenario end for the exit VC.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a fun scenario where both sides get cool toys. I like an upfront, on the hill American defense, they can fall back and rally in the village.
I slightly like the Germans in this one but the Stg3s gotta be played just right, there are a few hill hexes that seem to see all types of sneaky spots and cut the village into chunks. Might be best to attack on a broad front.
Remember, you can shoot through the light woods (+2 hindrance)

advice to the American: don’t stop your gyro tank, enjoy.
You may be mixing up the out-of-season orchards with light woods as there are no light woods in this scenario. All woods are Pine Woods.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
13.8 PINE WOODS: Pine woods represent an extensive stand of pine (evergreen) woods. Pine woods exist only by SSR and are treated exactly like normal woods except as stated otherwise.

13.81 OBSTACLE HEIGHT: Pine woods are a two-level LOS Obstacle.

13.82 MF COST: Infantry enter pine woods at a cost of 11/2 MF (3 MF for Cavalry)
35. LIGHT WOODS19

35.1 Light Woods only exist per SSR and is treated as woods (13.) except as stated otherwise. The Sighting TC DRM (E7.3) for Light Woods is +2.

35.2 HINDRANCE: Light Woods are not an obstacle to same-level LOS but are instead a Hindrance (A6.7) to same-level LOS [EXC: the DRM is +2 per hex] that also applies as a DRM to Fire Lanes (A9.222). This Hindrance can apply to a LOS drawn to/from a vertex of a Light Woods hex.
I experienced the same confusion between light and pine.